RC Competitor

Traxxas rally upgrades and SMASH!

Let us begin...

All the parts

Revo clutch / aluminum bearing adapter

Mamba Monster 2 with 2650kv custom mounting for radio and esc
    The vg chassis brace doesn't fit I contacted them earlier well see how it goes. A main sent me the non lcg extended battery holder.
    Rpm a arms and hours of work just to smash it lol...

Notice my wheel decided to drive away on its own lol.. Broke axle carrier, driveshaft and a Rpm arm on rear. Only broke a c-hub on the front.

Now if you made it this far here's the story. 11:00pm just put it all together and call a buddy to meet me at Walmart parking lot. We arrive and get to having fun. Drag raced once his slash 4x4 had no chance. He then decided to ramp off this 5' ice bank. I went for it once like half throttle and did a nice front flip. Second time I went absolutely full throttle like 60mph flying at the ramp, I got like 30 feet of air cleared the hole snow bank. (at least 30' long) I landed perfect but hard and it spun and smashed a nasty curb. Game over...
    Needless to say I knew this was going to happen. So I went and order front and rear Tekno cvd's another set of Rpm arms and a set of ST Racing c-hubs
    This car is silly fast with the 2650kv motor on 3s. Almost too fast to not be stupid.
    If anyone has any parts suggestions for extreme stupidity and increased reliability please let me know. I don't plan on jumping like this on a parking lot anymore but it will be fixed stronger each time I smash it.
    Thanks for reading,
    Jesse

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Well got it all fixed and collided with my friends slash we both broke our rpm arms. 2nd rpm arm snapped within a week. I too thought they were durable... I guess I'll blame it on high speeds and below freezing temps making them brittle.
    Last smash left me with a spare left rpm arm and bearing carrier so its all good again. Swapped rear shocks with new stock slash 4x4's added some spacers and it's sitting a bit higher but it trucks through the snow alot better.

RC Qualifier
    Throw a 4s lipo in it!

RC Champion
    Good carnage for one session

RC Competitor
    as soon as i get my extended battery holder 2x2s will be in it to see what it can do. pictures of recent addons comming soon
    Last edited by Jesse002100; 03-17-2014 at 12:08 AM.

RC Competitor
    Recent addons...

Rear Tekno cvd's

Front Tekno cvd's and team strc c-hubs (on hard bumps and jumps these c-hubs rub the rims and caused slight damage)

Custom made aluminum mounting plate for esc and receiver box.

Body clip holders to hopefully not go thru a bag of clips everytime I bash it.

Blue aluminum lug nuts

Here is what it looks like now. I have it lifted a bit I was playing on a bumpy frozen short course track.

The results of many high speed long jumps.
    Thanks, Jesse

RC Competitor
    I just ordered from proline, I got a full set of f-11 white wheels and the new foamless striker SC rally tires. The insides are rubber ribbed to hold shape better and give better traction (less balloning) and some of their pro bond glue.
    If you are shopping for wheels and tires USE THEIR WEBSITE AND COUPON CODE fb15 to save 15% and I got free shipping also.
    Thanks, Jesse

RC Competitor
    I just put some blue rpm rod ends on it tonight. Let me start by saying it's a **** and my fingers hurt... Then all the re adjusting but I got it where I'd like. I think it adds a nice touch.

It is leaning because I broke the too body mount and top of shock tower. The hobby store gave me a front not rear so it stays broken for a bit.

RC Champion
    Next time using needle nose pliers does a good job of snapping the balls out of the rod ends, or you can buy an actual pair of ball end pliers.

Also measure the rod ends inside before disassembly, write down the number, or assemble the new ones to that number and you will be close to the original setting. Inserting an allen key or small screwdrivers into each rod end applies leverage, speeds up thread assembly.

Last edited by ViperZ; 03-19-2014 at 06:40 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the advice. I just kinda leaped into it and after I did a few I started resting them flat on my table and used a nut driver to pop them and reset. The adjustments I've made seem Alright it was raining all day so I'm going to play this afternoon.

RC Competitor
    tonight's upgrades:
    Proline f-11 rims wrapped in Proline striker foamless tires w/glue.
    Proline power stroke front and rear shocks
    Rpm lcg front bulkhead blue to match the rest of my Rpm parts.
    Another body clip retainer.
    1 mod 20 tooth pinion and 36 and 38 spur gears.

Let's go fast and hopefully not smash. :-)
    Jesse

RC Competitor
    this is running 1 mod 20t pinion and 38t spur.

http://youtu.be/pRP7Cc1HvhY

http://youtu.be/Sbu2aZ9axhU

http://youtu.be/O6-UYJwac2I
    this is what broke it in the begining.

my friends dad was recording.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Your tires ballooned too much causing it to loose control and crash. Get some belted tires (sweep or GRP)

sent via Samsung Galaxy LIGHT using tapatalk
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Champion
    Looking at how you drive it, it's no wonder your always breaking stuff

I kid, we all have days like that

RC Qualifier
    Lol that's some insanely high gearing especially for that motor I'm
    Surprised you didn't take flight.

RC Competitor
    i just put these tires on here and it is considerably better but belted tires are my next option. i just like to go on and off road. im going to look into getting the proline protrack kit to make it a bit longer and wider. then ill just need the tekno axles that are longer.
    seems like after all ive upgraded the shock towers are next broke 2 in the past 2 runs. everything else is holding strong.

RC Competitor
    Well I broke it again knocked the front right tire off at well over 60mph. It broke the Tekno bearing carrier, bent the driveshaft and tweaked the strc c-hub. TEKNO DOES NOT WARRANTY A BENT DRIVESHAFT! Their customer service was horrible, the first three times I called no one answered so I left a message. I then tried again a hour later and got someone, I explained what happened doesn't matter. I can send in my "old used damaged items for 50% off replacement" could take 2 weeks to get up and running again. I only had their products 2 weeks and it's broken. I will never buy anything Tekno again. I gave the Tekno's away to a friend and went and ordered a quality, backed product mip x-duty driveshafts (should have spent the extra initially) I had a question about the mip install I called and got tech support Matts voice mail, it has his personal cell # on it. I called Matt at 7:30pm he answered and very politely answered my questions. Mip if you read this you have a customer for life.
    The damages

No warranties unless you break the steel shaft (it's nearly impossible I bent it back and forth 5 times with pliers and it's still in tact. Tekno's warranty is a joke.

Team strc told me to just send it in for a free replacement but their tech guy said I could bend it back and it should be fine. If it fails send it in and get a new one.

Back up and running, just waiting on the rear mip x-dutys to come to swap the stocks out.

Mip x-duty fronts

RC Qualifier
    Nice work! Iv trashed my tekno's and have not been able to do damage to them. Impressive! The mip's should suit you better. I have a set of those as well. I haven't pushed them hard (yet) but I hear great things about their durability.

RC Champion
    Looking at those rust and crud incrusted CV's only reinforces why I prefer the Traxxas rubber booted shafts. I believe Humay has fitted XO-1 boots to his Teckno's. Not that that matters now

I have tried to fit a few different boots to my MIP's with no success so far, mind you I haven't tried very hard other than a pair

RC Competitor
    The xduties will just need cleaned occasionally like the stocks did. And if I run it on the beach washed and re greased.

RC Competitor
    They were the only one that are ran on 2200kv mamba monster motor for testing purposes. When I spoke to tech support the diffs failed before the xduties. So that said alot to me.

RC Champion
    Meh, stuff like that drive me nuts... Pet peeve

I hear medication works

RC Competitor
    Lol but it gives me something to play with and also be ocd cleaning
    :-)

RC Competitor
    some drifting and boating with is far from recommended lol

RC Competitor
    Quick update, I got my mip x duty rears installed. Order some suprasales El cheapo tires as I wrecked a $60 set of prolines in 4 packs. We will see if they last at least that long. And I picked up a set of metric mip hex drivers. I should have got hem I'm he first place, the 1.5 and 2.0 on my dynamite set stripped after a month. I'm waiting on mip 17mm adapters so I can run some lower profile buggy tires and possibly balloon less.
    I'll have some pics soon. I picked up a tmaxx mamba monster esc mount that I've read is a direct bolt on instead of my aluminum plate I fabbed.
    Jesse

RC Competitor
    Got my proline focus body painted I need to get sandpaper circles for my dremmel to clean up all the cuts. I painted the hood and wing gunmetal to make it look unique. Next body I'll try harder and it will come out better.

Reconfiguration of the electronics to cut a bit of weight and now I have the switch finally mounted on the new tmaxx bracket.
    How it looks now.

Got a set of proline body mounts with nuts instead body clips :-)

RC Competitor
    I got the new 17mm wheels in today and put everything else together.

Got it all looking better.

A bumper sticker I lol'd at

And which violates at least two forum rules. I suggest you become familiar with those.
    ksb51rl

Any thoughts or ideas on what next? I'm fresh out of ideas.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-08-2014 at 12:23 AM.

RC Champion
    Nice Ford Focus... Everyone is so fast to paint, and I'm so slow with mine

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Good carnage for one session
    One session... that's one Season for me!!!
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Nice Ford Focus... Everyone is so fast to paint, and I'm so slow with mine
    Well my paint is far from perfect, I tried but I don't mind so much. It's just going to be smashed anyway. If I get the scalpel or a gt8 body I'll spend a lot more time making it real nice.

RC Competitor
    Well I originally tightened the 17mm nuts with small needle nose pliers and blue locktite. Today with the new tires and no punch control power wheelies from launch to 3/4 throttle was no problem on concrete . But the rear left wheel seems to get most all of the power at launch and pulls pretty hard till it gets moving??? I almost lost a nut and had to come back to the lab again. I modified a socket so that it would fit the rims and not be curved at the ends like most sockets.
    This is what I came up with

Like a glove
    And while thrashing it all about flipping it I lost 2 of the proline body mount nuts. There 6 bucks for 4 at the LHS (expensive) so I went to the hardware store and found these Made for wood for 12 a piece and got a handful. I just drilled out a small piece of 2"x4" and use it to put these on and off cause they are a bit sharp.
    If anyone else is running these proline mounts, these are metric m4 if you wanna be cheap.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    One session... that's one Season for me!!!
    Me two

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse002100 View Post
    I got the new 17mm wheels in today and put everything else together.

Like a glove
    Dude, those wheels were like new a day ago, they look like they've been bashed for 5 years already

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse002100 View Post
    And while thrashing it all about flipping it I lost 2 of the proline body mount nuts. There 6 bucks for 4 at the LHS (expensive) so I went to the hardware store and found these Made for wood for 12 a piece and got a handful. I just drilled out a small piece of 2"x4" and use it to put these on and off cause they are a bit sharp.
    If anyone else is running these proline mounts, these are metric m4 if you wanna be cheap.
    I can't seem to understand the fascination with the Proline body kit and mount...

1) I dislike the look of them on the body.
    2) They seems like they're really easy to lose.

I have them on the back of Rally-1, but need to swap them out to clips, which I like, myself....

Sorry, I'm not a fan of those blind nuts, but if you like them and they work, rock on!

RC Competitor
    My phone is stupid I wrote 2 responses and Tapatalk failed to post them.
    I like the proline body mounts because the body cannot move up and down when I flip or smash it. Plus it is far less likely to pull thru being sandwiched between quarter sized washers and a very small m4 hole.
    After a couple weeks finally head back about the Tekno axle that got bent and a steering hub that broke. I got a coupon for 50% off the replacements. I went to purchase them and low and behold both were out of stock. So I called Thomas their only tech support guy. And offered a solution, I wanted those parts via amain at the discounted price and he could just discount their next order. He outright refused and said this has never happened before and the parts would be in in about a week and a half. I asked to speak t his boss he also refused and said what he says goes, his boss is the owner of Tekno and doesn't deal with customers. I said if you will not put me in touch with him or even give me his name I would look up the the llc or dba or even the website owner and call everyone I find until this gets fixed. He then changed his attitude and assured me a call back withing 3 hours. I am guessing he hung up with me and called his "boss" who understood my frustration with this proposed 6 week turnaround. I received a call back less then 5 mins later with my solution. Some how my parts that were not in Stock for more than a week we're ready to ship and he made them available for purchase. I ordered them and I'm guessing his boss overrided his word of stone and when I checked out instead of it being $16 +shipping, it was completely free just paid shipping. So I still stand behind their customer service sucks it's not Thomas and unless your on a warpath and force his hand you will get no where with him.
    As for MIP I've been talking to Matt and he has every answer for me and is more than happy to help out their customers.
    I sold these Tekno axles to a friend running a stock slash on 2 and 3s so hopefully they treat him better then me, but I'm mip for life.

I have been a lover of Moore's Ideal Products ( MIP ) for many years! When I first saw their X-Duty axles, I knew I had to get a set. They have done me extremely well for years and I recommend them to anyone who will listen.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Those buggy wheels looks like a set I bought off ebay a couple years ago. They held up very well but I didn't rotate them like I should have and they wore out.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    El sob I did research alot of threads before I made the Tekno purchase, I saw probably a dozen responses from you alone recommending mip. I should have listened :-/.
    Og I got this from eBay as well from suprasales. I'm happy thus far and shipping was just 2 days from cali to me. Biggest plus is they were $16 and after the same 4 packs of 3s there not destroyed like my $60 proline striker set.

RC Competitor
    Got some real hex drivers. I'm upset i didn't get them in the first place. My dynamite 1.5mm and 2mm died within a month of use.

RC Champion
    those things are the boss.

totally like the fit that they give. and sort of got stuck with 2 sets lol
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    The mip drivers is amazing, they fit so well no play at all. My only thing now is I want a mip ball end set so I don't hurt these on the a arm shock mounts.