RC Enthusiast

Steering servo upgrade

I am looking into upgrading my steering servo's as the stock 2075's just don't work well with my Big Joes. I know it's best to get one powerful servo but I am I'm looking into getting two metal gear Hitec HS-5646WP servo's. However they only give a 31oz torque increase over the stock 125oz. Has anyone done this upgrade? If so do you see any significant improvement? Any other options?

Thanks!
    Summit DeWalt 14.4v
    E-Maxx DeWalt 14.4v 2 Speed

RC Champion
    you do realize its much easier to align 1 servo instead of 2? even over time the alignment will go out and with suspension moment will constantly be changing. Eventually they will burn out. You can find some killer deals on a single servo that work well. Cannot mention the supplier on this forum. Also check your bearings in your servo saver. they are most often over looked. I put new bearings in mine and made a huge difference. mine were really toast. Also switched up to a alum servo saver that seemed to have far less resistance than the plastic one.

RC Enthusiast
    It's a new Summit so the bearing on the servo saver should be fine. The stock servos just don't have enough power to turn them well.

What about 2 of these: Savox SW-0231MG http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SW0231...avsw0231mg.htm
    Last edited by goliath; 03-11-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    Summit DeWalt 14.4v
    E-Maxx DeWalt 14.4v 2 Speed

RC Racer
    I was running those Hitecs in my summit for a little while. They are better than the stockers because they are metal gear and have more torque but I still felt like it wasnt enough. There were even times where I thought one had gone out but removed a horn and they were both working. I ended up swapping them out for a single Savox 1230 and havent looked back. I even get it drenched on a daily basis and no issues yet. Ill probably water proof it with some WP grease though soon just in case. Single servo is def the way to go. Be sure to do the washer mod on your saver or you wont be able to transfer the torque to the wheels even if you go with the Hitecs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    For that price u can go single with over 400 oz of torque. It's super easy to waterproof a servo. And takes 5 min

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Also, when you have the servos out check that there is no binding on your saver and that it moves freely. Not just because of the bearings but I noticed with mine that if I tightened that screw too much (the one that goes through the skid and saver bearings) it would start to bind the saver. I have to leave it slightly loose to get free movement.

RC Champion
    And that's another reason I like my alum saver. Everything tightened down but noting hooked up I can lean the truck and the saver will move on its own.. couldn't do that with the stock.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I have a summit with the sand/snow tracks on and the steering seams weak, I've installed one hi tec 7955 and still seams a little weak, should I install two? Can I use one of the stock servos to help out? Any suggestions. I also tried installing a external 10 amp cc bec for more power but having wiring problems, the ground wire from the esc keeps melting.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    How are you feeding your CCBEC?

When using any two servos in tandem they MUST be the same make, model, and I suggest they are the same age/usage as well. If they are out of sync at all they will fight each other to the death. This not only applies to linkage, but how fast the servos turn and at which torque. If the fast servo is pulling the slow servo, there will be damage.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    I powdered the bec with one of the batteries via a splitter, and yes I disconnected the red wire from the esc ( the second time )

Which battery?
    Yes, it matters... one side is not a part of the low voltage side and will cause the exact issue you are having.

The correct battery is usually the side of the ESC with the red tags... the ESC will temporarily power up with just that side hooked up; that would be the proper side.

RC poster
    What is the washer mod? I noticed that half way through the sweep the tracks stop moving and the saver is working. By the way I have the sand/snow tracks on and the steering isn't going lock to lock, thinking its due to lack of power

RC poster
    Thanks, I'll try it again, I did have it plugged in to the other battery! Oops

I used a modified body washer... just open up the servo saver and put it between the spring and the structure of the saver.

RC Racer
    The washer mod is adding a washer under the spring in the saver. Its basically preloading the spring so the saver doesnt give as soon. I use a plastic body washer but some guys use metal with the same results.

RC Qualifier
    400+ oz on any setup you go with. Washer mod is a must. If you get a lower voltage setup the stock evx2 bec is fine and runs about 6v