Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Qualifier
    Sorry for the wait. Pivot balls haven't came in yet and I'm getting ready to dye the dust boots. No progress made on the 3906 ether.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Having trouble with dying the rubber dust boots black and I am out of powder dye. I going to give liquid dye a try. I got the pivot balls a week ago so whether or not if the dying process will be a success, I'm going to finish up the front/rear section.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Its been long since my last post, but I went through a tough time. I had three kittens that passed away at different times so I am trying to resume the build. I been spray painting the chassis braces and receiver box blue a couple days of ago. I have not done any dying yet since that difficult time.
    Last edited by SouperkNight; 05-02-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC poster
    Awesome build I am also ressurecting my 3906 after a decade and I busted it pretty good tried to jump a house and didn't quite stick the landing and it was a parts graveyard but slowly buying parts to rebuild it all I need now is some batteries that fit and I'm in business but want to switch to a new style chassis. So more research into that and see what happens

RC Qualifier
    @kuffdaddy

Thank you.

@everyone

I got the 3903 Chassis dyed, but I think I will have to redo it since it look more like a navy blue instead of black. I use half of an 8 oz bottle of liquid dye before I used the rest to make sure the chassis become black. I have in the pot for an hour, but I guess I'm still learning on dying parts, at least it was better then the rubber dust boots that I have not redye them yet.

I ran out of blue spray paint when I started painting the transmission case and I have not have a chance to swing by my LHS to get some more. Slow process I know.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Finally some progress . I decided to just put the dust boots instead of dying them again just to get things moving. Turns out the color of them is good enough. Went to my LHS to get some blue paint, but they didn't have the one brand that I got from them earlier. So plan b is to get it on ebay since I'm in hurry to to get the transmission in. Well here the process starting yesterday....

CVD installed on both sections of the 3903.

Dust boots looks pretty good.

Same brand, different type of bearings for the wheel hubs.

This is what I did so far tonight. Earlier I finished up on some clear coating on the chassis braces and the bottom part of the receiver box. Here are the braces connected to the chassis now. The blue may not match the color to the RPM ones but at least its not black on black.

Rear section is hooked up to the chassis. I found a tiny issue for the skid plate to connect to the braces, but it won't effect my 3903 that much. Steering is party installed.

Front section is hooked up and the 3903 chassis is halfway done.

The lower suspension hing pins were interfering with the steering so I was forced to remove the collar shafts and push the pins out of bit. Now I have to add something to prevent them from coming out. The skid plate may stop them from coming out all the way expect these pins are cut too short so it will cause problems.

Time to put the only two titanium toe links for my truck with RPM short rods that I have left over from my Bandit build.

Last edited by SouperkNight; 06-05-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Lookin good!
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Here they are installed.

That is it for now once I get more blue paint I be able get the rest done on the chassis.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    Really nice project. Can't wait to see it done. U put any thought towards a body for either of them?
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Champion
    Also, on your hinge pins, most people use lunsford pins on the bottom or stock because of steering problems. However, if you get the end of the pin and grind down the head so it clears the steering you can still use it.

Also, people have put the pins in a drill and used a dremel to score the pins so they can use E clips like lunsford pins

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    Really nice project. Can't wait to see it done. U put any thought towards a body for either of them?
    For the 3906 it's a 92 Jeep Cherokee body by Pro-Line. I'm making it to look like my neighbor's Cherokee only that his is ether a 96 or 97. The body for the 3903 however... I'm making this E-Maxx... well an E-Maxx, but it is going to be sweet. Just a simple paint job black with blue stripes and going have some decals, side mirrors, lights, and something so cool to make this into one mean truck.

I was thinking of Lunsford pins at first, but after I read a thread of them not being covered, I changed my mind. To be honest I did bought a set last year for my Bandit since I have a Slash suspension setup on it. You read my mind about grinding the heads and reversing those pins I got installed. I haven't yet mostly because I want to get this 3903 done and I don't feel like taking some stuff apart again, but now that I'm having trouble to locate the spacer for the transmission I think I will do some grinding now.

Thanks PowerMaxx and Wildman and to anyone who are following this thread.

@everyone

Ok I got more blue paint couple days earlier and I almost got the battery hold downs done. Rears and clips are done just have to finish the fronts. I left the areas where the clips will slide into the fronts and rears unpainted. I also did that to the front ones as well. I finish painted the Transmission.

Central cvds are in finally.

Here is the new painted parts on the 3903. Come to think of it, maybe I should of left those clips black, at least I got the other set from the old chassis if I chose to use them instead of these.

Well until I can find the spacer for the transmission (or make one), the only thing I'm doing at this point is to work on the lower a-arms pins.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Earlier today I started grinding one of the heads of the pin shaft, but when I took off the front section I thought of something. If I want to gain access to the pin to remove the arms then I would rather have it where I can get to it in the less amount of screws to remove. I changed my mind so I went with the second idea.

I have a bunch of old phillip screws for the 3906. I cut two of them at different lengths because of me grinding down the head of the pin shaft. Taped around the screws first then taped them with the pin. So pins are not going to be pushed out or in.

Assembly time!

I went with the wide ratio for the first time.

The single motor mount requires modding and I had done some grinding on recently painted tranny . Looks like I have to do another area for the massive motor, but I chose not to so I went with the mount that Kershaw Designs sent me with the motor.

The catch now is I no gear cover for it and no.. I'm not making a make shift cover like I did on the 3906. Some of you people may know the seller on ebay that sells custom mounts to install a 1717 Castle motor. I asked him if it was possible to make one for the DeWalt while still be able use the gear cover. I also gave him the measurements of the motor. He said he will look into that.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Racer
    Great build looking very good.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you.

Well right now I'm waiting for that person to make me a custom mount for my motor. He said it will be a few days as he has to make a template of the front it and see if it was possible to make a mount specially for a DeWalt 820 Motor while allowing the gear cover to fit without any issues. I said to him if there have to be a gap in between the top and the bottom of the cover I just cover it with tape or something.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    Hmm. Ya, KD stuff doesnt favor motor mount covers. Can't wait to see what your eBay guy comes up with

RC Qualifier
    I'm anxious to see the mount and I be surprised if he pulls it off. He haven't messaged me yet since almost a week. If I don't hear from him by the end of this week I might contract him about the process. It should be almost done by now.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    I got a message from the ebay seller. He got the mount drawn up and is ready to be cut. My mount may arrive by the end of this week if not then sometime next week .
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    I got the new motor mount today. Not bad for his first attempt, but there two things that need to tweaked: I was off a bit of the gap between the screws hole of the motor and has the motor has to be raise up a bit since it won't stay straight because of the transmission in the way. I wish I can grind the area that is causing the problem, but underneath it are two screws. The new mount will be slightly taller and the gear cover will split a little, but there are barely any gaps.

I'm going take my Slash for a spin or two during this week while waiting for the improved mount.
    Last edited by SouperkNight; 06-30-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    The guy messaged me, he hasn't made any process yet on the updated mount so I'm switching over to the 3906. I ordered pretty much all of the stuff today to finish this truck. The only thing remaining is batteries for it.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    The seller said he got the updated mount done and he will ship it tomorrow.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    I got a few stuff today for 3906, just getting the idea how to mount the roof lights. I have to look at my neighbor's jeep tomorrow to see if I got them in the right place.

I got mirrors for the body as well though not accurate but close. This body will take more time than the 3903 since I want to make this realistic as possible. There wont be led lights popping out of this body like the other one. This truck is being use for some trail runs and rock crawling.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    I looked at the Cherokee yesterday and I had the front roof lights too far up on the my 1:10 one. I cut up a big part from the roof light kit into pieces, then I use the two big pieces leftover for which the lights will sit on. I drilled holes for 3mm screws and I added locking nuts to make the front almost at the same height as the back. I also add a countersunk screw underneath the front in middle to make an arch like on the 1:1. The back will get arch as well, but I have to get 2.5 screws for the lights.

All I have left to do before painting is to drill holes for the mirrors, wires for the roof lights, and cut the body out. I got the updated mount today for the other truck and its good enough for me. The motor has to be raised up more since the gear mesh travel is limited, but I be able to a have at least one gearing option for my 3903. I told the guy not to worry about for now since I want this truck to be done. He then asked me where can he buy a DeWalt Motor and in reply I gave him the link to Kershaw Designs.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    Looking good as always. I can't wait to see the jeep body. So far I think I'm doing a raptor body for mine but I might still change my mind.

I have issues with my rod ends wearing out, where the pivot point becomes loose and the steering starts to get lots of slop. Does anyone else have that issue, particularly with the lunsford links?

I know you havnt run them but I think you mentioned you had them on your slash?

RC Qualifier
    @Power

You're close, its a Bandit with Slash suspension, but I do have a Slash 2wd the only things I got install on it are the Outerwears chassis cover and RPM gear cover. I got GTR shocks and Pro-Line Trenchers for waiting to be install on it. As of now I'm getting these truck done first before do anything to my Slash. Speaking of Bandit I got to get that one done second.

@everyone

I got the roof lights done almost just need to finish it with lights, but to get to that, the body has to be painted. I just need to get the holes drilled for the body post. I cut the body out as well.

I can't wait to get a pic of this with my neighbor's Jeep.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    Nice. Always cool to have a lookalike

RC Qualifier
    I got RPM shock tower and by that I mean one, just for the rear. I was deciding on what to use instead of buying this and the extra long posts. One idea to make the stock ones taller than they can be was to use front body post for the Slash, I got these extra from a roller. The diameter of them are too small for me to hollow them out underneath just enough so that they can fit on the E-Maxx posts. The extra long posts aren't here yet so the progress on the body has come to a halt.

I have to swap out the front bumper with an extra rear bumper otherwise I will have to do more cutting on the body's front bumper.

Working on the roof lights, these are on their on power supply. I actually bought these already made a while ago, but I got mixed up on the number of lights. I should gotten 7 not 5 and one of them just burned out so I have to replace it. I got the wires today as well, to add on the last two, but the leds and resistors have not arrived yet.

In the top corner in the pic above this is a 68t spur gear with aluminum pads for the 3903. I found that I be able to try a 65t spur with the custom mount, but I want to get an idea of how motor temps will be with 25/68.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Led lights and resistors arrived and so far I got the replacement one soldered in. First time that I'm soldering led lights/resistors to wires. The resistors I bought are slightly larger than the ones that were already in place. I try to salvage the one with the burnout light, but I broke in half as I was trying to take heat shrink off of it.

My only concern with the ones I bought is that the light on those resistors may be dimmer than ones with the smaller ones. Once I finished the soldering, I hooked up a 9v battery and not only did the light work for my first attempt , I seen no difference in brightness between this and the other four lights. Those videos I watched payed off.

I wish I have a pic of this, but when I turn my camera on its said "charge the battery pack". I keep forgetting to turn my camera off when I'm done uploading pics. lol
    Last edited by SouperkNight; 07-25-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Here's the pics. I'm glad I tried this out. I struggled to get a good contact on the 3rd led with the last wire, but I got it done. Every time I tried to fill a small gap with solder, the wire will separate from the led.

Finished wiring up these two new ones from scratch. I tested them by themselves before soldering them to the group to.

Here is the updated light kit.

Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    Yay!! It light up all pretty. U make me jealous, only thing I have that lights up is my quad and one of those lights got caught in the rotor and ripped off.