RC Enthusiast

What should i upgrade first...

Hey guys i was thinking what i should upgrade first on my 1/10 th scale summit.

Any suggestions on what to get first would be appreciated.

I would get double orange springs to stiffen up the rear, front and rear RPM bumper mounts, and other than that just upgrade what breaks and enjoy your Summit!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the suggestion Wolfslash16!

RC Champion
    I'd get those springs for sure. Helps a lot. Other then that as Wolf said upgrade what break. Which might be a while...

By the way welcome to the forums and the addition!! You probably already know but you've got the best truck out there. Make sure if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask. We're here to help.
    Last edited by Bash'n'slash; 03-10-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the welcome Bash'n'slash! And thinks for the advise!

RC Champion
    Where is the truck not performing for u? The summit is pretty good right out of the box so just upgrade what is under performing for u.. myself it was tires and shock performance. I also did the rpm bumper mounts but used the Revo mounts to lower my body. Also installed the hd slipper as the stock fell apart after a few runs. Been replacing bearings with ceramics as they fail. Also went with alum servo saver after switching to single servo after one of the stockers burnt out.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Interesting !

After ordering and installing the double orange springs for the rear (satisfied), I just ordered front&rear bumpers by RPM too Believe that improved crush absorption can save stuff for the truck !

RC Qualifier
    My single best upgrade are these http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=66 they will give you a constant power band instead of the declining power band in the NIMH batteries. They will also run twice as long. I have gotten over 2.5 hours of run time crawling and bashing. Keep checking the Summit forum and also check previous threads for really easy and great upgrades IE lowering body, single steering servo, tbone skid plats, dampening shocks, new tires, upgraded hubs, motor conversions etc etc. I agree what others have said, the stock Summit out of the box needs very little if anything. I have a couple that are modded and a couple that are still stock and the stock ones are still very capable.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Champion
    The only mods and Upgrades I did to my summit are:

1) Lipos -> I run mine on 5s (2s+3s) but recommended is 4s (2s+2s)
    2) Stronger Tires for Bashing (Proline Trencher X) -> I love them, rubber of stock tires is too thin for bashing and will rip
    3) double orange springs on the rear
    4) Lowered the Body as far as possible to bring down center of gravity

RC Competitor
    Forgot to mention 2 x 7600 (40~80C) lipos since we consider this an upgrade, crawled and bashed with my niece the other day for around 1,5 hours since we ...had to get back ! Been left with around 3,85 - 3,90 Volts so may have been close to end (cutoff from speed control), but it was a yiell of a runtime, so satisfied !!!

Now other changes that consider stronger tires and lowering the body, are upgrades for bashing but (I guess) degrades for crawling, so I guess here it depends on the use each one wants to make ! ( For example I like to emphasize on the crawling capabilities and the rough terrain for the moment )

RC Champion
    Lowering the Body also really helps for crawling and going steep when the truck wants to tip over backwards.

The stock tires are probably the best tires for crawling but not for bashing as I mentioned before.

Also for crawiling the softer springs at the rear are good.

You could get some stronger servos and a BEC. Always good for crawling

RC Competitor
    Yes you are right about the lower body, I can picture that already !

Nice tips ! will look for a strong servo&bec after any of the current two fails !

RC Qualifier
    My upgrades/modifications as of now are:
    - RC4WD Mudslingers on Geode 3.8 rims
    - DeWalt 14.4v
    - Mamba Monster 2 ESC
    - 30kg Servo
    - HR Aluminium Servo Saver
    - Lowered body

IMO the must do upgrades would be the Mudslingers, DeWalt and lowering the body. You can only lower about 3/4" but it makes quite a big difference.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    The low gear no slop mod is one of the best things you can do. Other than changing the suspension setup a good set of batteries some wheels weights and quality servo really let you injoy this truck. I run a mamba max pro and it really is nice to be able to program. Every thing else is hgreat right out of the box including the tires.