Thread: Radio questions

RC Racer

Radio questions

Hey guys, I am about to pick up a radio for my build, but I have the 5 channel receiver from traxxas and I'd like to get a radio that is more than just two or three channels from traxxas. I have the summit light set up and might get some other lights but I would like to be able to turn them on and off as I wish with the radio. Does traxxas have a four or five channel I don't know about or can the three channel do what I'm looking for? I'd like to not have to get another brand of radio and have to putz with getting it pared with the receiver. Ideas or recommendations?
    Good, Fast, Cheap; You can only have two

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The Summit radio is a 4/5 channel... I think the drag cars are too.

You will need receiver switches in order to turn off and on lights... "receiver operated switch" is what they are called.

You only need a channel for every single item you want to control remotely:
    1 channel for steering
    2 channel for ESC
    3 channel for receiver switch/LED's

If you just want stuff plugged in and to come on with the ESC, all channels have power; even if there is no control for them.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Okay so I would need a secondary receiver to get the desired light functionality and then the third channel on the radio would control the second receiver? I found a set I was looking at on amazon, "G.T. Power RC Flashing LED Lighting Kit for Scale Cars and Trucks" so something like this with the additional receiver and the other radio I'd get more functionality. Right?
    Good, Fast, Cheap; You can only have two

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    No.
    1 receiver can do this...

What you need in order to control lights from the controller:
    1 unused channel on the controller.
    1 receiver operated switch.
    1 group of LED's wired to work off from 6 volts.

I am not sure how the "GT" lights work... it does not say if the modes are manually operated or operated via an open channel on the receiver.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.