RC Enthusiast

Does your EZ Peak Plus charger do this?

I've had my new EZ Peak Plus charger for about four weeks and used it quite a bit. I was charging a battery today and noticed that the DC input alligator clips were lying together on the metal pan I was using to charge on. I said to myself, it's a good thing those aren't hot when using AC to power the charger.

Just to prove it to myself, I tested the ends with my voltmeter. You guessed it, 15 volts going to those exposed alligator clips. Some chargers I had looked at had removable DC wires, but the EZ Peak Plus does not. I just assumed that there would be some cutout switch used to disable those wires when using AC to charge. NOT!

This can't be correct. What if the two ends touch each other? Isn't that a dead short between them?

Would someone else please check theirs and see if it is the same? Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    I'm a newbie, so if I missed something obvious to the rest of you, please inform me. Or, does nobody else care if their loose DC connectors are hot all the time when using AC to charge? Maybe mine is just defective.

Nope, mine are "hot" also. Yes, it will cause a dead short. I just pulled the rubber cover over them so none of the metal is showing.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for your response. I tried that but the insulated part is too short to extend over the clips. I talked with tech support a few minutes ago. They are aware of this. I have a solution but will wait to hear from them later today before sharing it.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckyman View Post
    Thanks for your response. I tried that but the insulated part is too short to extend over the clips. I talked with tech support a few minutes ago. They are aware of this. I have a solution but will wait to hear from them later today before sharing it.
    It is pretty silly that these are live wires as well as permanently attached. I wish they had done ports on these.

RC Qualifier
    WOW I also use mine on a metal table, never would have guessed them were live the whole time LOL.