CarGuy7a's Custom E Revo Build Thread

Hey guys I've been wanting to do an E Revo Brushless build for quite sometime now. So I decided to search around and see what kind of rollers were available on ebay and to my surprise I saw a roller being sold by a familiar username. A few guys here may remember him as well as I did. I bought this excellent roller from Djmaincheese. Got a great deal on it and it is in great shape as well. Just a few minor scrapes but nothing terrible. Have a huge shopping list of aftermarket parts for it and got my first parts haul for it and started the build today. I'm not going to list all the parts being used but you all will know what they are when you see them.

Stage one of the build. First two pics are how it came out of the box. Very Nice!!!!

Full tear down and cleaning getting ready for the goodies.

The first parts haul.

Transmission tear down and cleaning. Put new bearings in from Avid (bought the whole kit for the E revo from them) Also bought the slipper clutch rebuild with the aluminum pads.

Transmission re assembled along with the GH billet motor mount.

Trans installed on chassis.

Working on the front shocks, rockers, and alum pushrods installed.

Still waiting on some parts from the LHS my list was so big he forgot some stuff but that's not a problem I got plenty today to get this project going. I was going to go from the working on the trans straight to the diffs but those are the parts I'm waiting on. The STRC diff housings won't be in until mid march according to his dealer.

Stay tuned more to come.

I remember him... look like a super clean truck........
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Nice project, that motor mount looks nice.

Here's a few more from today's progress.

Got the rear shocks rebuilt, push rods installed.

Assembled the RPM rear arms, STRC axle carriers, and Traxxas CVD shafts. I know, I know the bottom left arm is turned around That's an easy fix though.

RC Qualifier
    Nice choice of parts should be an awesome build
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    great clean job i am jealous. the only thing i d change is the cvds with summit shafts really...

edit: if you want those nice yellow bearings to last, get the titanium bulkhead-rocker screws. they will never bend.
    <3 Traxxas~Align~Ducati~Lib-tech~JacksonGtrs <3

Got some more parts in the mail today. Hot Racing Diff cups and blue alum shock towers. Gonna have a ton more parts Saturday from the LHS.

Some more pics from this weekend's work. Stopped by the LHS and he had some more parts for me.

Got the diffs cleaned out and re lubed with the HR aluminum cups installed. Still waiting on the STRC diff housings, who knows when those will be available.

RPM Bumpers installed.

HR Shock towers installed on the chassis.

RC Enthusiast
    May I ask whats the difference between the stock and GH Billet motor mount?

Excellent build congrats...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by James Cole View Post

Stronger, looks nice. The stock one is cast. Although I've never seen a broken one. Does look nice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by James Cole View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 09bumblebee
    Stronger, looks nice. The stock one is cast. Although I've never seen a broken one. Does look nice though.
    True a stock motor mount is hard to break. I didn't really upgrade it for the strength but more for the heat sinking properties. A solid "billet" will wick more heat out of the motor than cast will. Cast is very porous and holds heat more than a solid piece will. Cast looks like a sponge when looked at a broken section of it. All those little air pockets hold heat.

More pics this coming weekend. My STRC axle carriers for the front, Mamba Monster 2200kv system and radio system should be in. I have my DX3S radio maxed on model memory and thought I'd switch it up and give the Futaba 4PLS a try then slowly convert all my vehicles throughout the summer. The STRC differential housings won't be until mid March so I may just use the stock plastic cases and then just install them when they arrive.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 03-11-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Stopped by the hobby shop Saturday for more parts.

New Futaba 4PLS radio system and MM2 system.

This radio is sick. It'll take me forever to figure it out. The manual is huge. So many features on this thing it's unreal.

Got the front arm assemblies together.

Front and rear bulkheads in. Had to do some minor shimming on the diffs to get them running perfect.

A arms assembled onto the bulks.

Shocks, sway bars, bumpers and body mounts installed, and wing. It's back to a roller. I had to modify the front sway bar mount to fit onto the HR shock towers with a little dremeling and it fits perfect.

Motor ESC and radio installed awaiting the electronic setup.

Still have to work on the wheels yet. The wheels he sent me are the old style beads and I can't find tires for them. So I'm going to mod them to use the newer style Traxxas bead tires that Pro line offers. Tried turning the outer lip off on a lathe but the wheels are so flexible and the plastic is so soft it wouldn't cut right. So I may just have to hand dremel them vary carefully. None the less I'm going to do what I can so I don't have to buy wheels. These wheels are brand new just older style bead. They are the Pro line tech 5 wheels. I'm going to be using Pro line 3.8 badlands on them.
    Last edited by CarGuy7a; 03-16-2014 at 10:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Your problem is that the Tech 5's are 40 series rims. That's why Traxxas Style 3.8 don't fit.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    Your problem is that the Tech 5's are 40 series rims. That's why Traxxas Style 3.8 don't fit.
    Exactly. That's why I'm trimming off the outer lip on the wheels so the Traxxas style bead tires will fit. The actual mounting diameter is the same size 3.8".

Does anyone know the max voltage the Traxxas 2075 servos can handle. The stock BEC voltage in the MM2 was 5.5v and I upped it to 6V is this ok? I haven't powered anything up yet and I don't want to burn those servos out. I can't find the voltage spec for them anywhere.

RC Qualifier
    well i have been working every servo at 6V, even the chinese ones. i think it can handle it, though i haven't tried.

be a man and go for 6V. you will find the answer on your own
    <3 Traxxas~Align~Ducati~Lib-tech~JacksonGtrs <3

RC Champion
    Very nice..almost too nice to get dirty

Quote Originally Posted by djmaincheese View Post
    Very nice..almost too nice to get dirty
    I know I wish they stayed that way forever. I've got some trakpower car detailer. I may spray a light mist over it before I run it to help keep the dirt from sticking to it so bad.

More build progress. I modified the Tech 5 wheels to accept traxxas style bead proline 3.8 tires. Some heavy dremeling and alot of patience they came out pretty good and they glued up great.

Getting ready to setup the camber and toe.

Tires mounted up and installed on truck.

Trimmed out the Pro line slipstream body and reamed the mounting holes. All that's left is to paint. Still trying to decide on scheme and colors.

Got my SPC lipos in. 2 2s 6900mah and 2 3s 5600mah.

Finished painting the body.

Nice flame job.... do you air brush?

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Nice flame job.... do you air brush?
    Thanks. Yeah I airbrushed it. I just use the cheap air brush from harbor freight (the metal airbrush). It does pretty good. It shoots the pactra laquer paints perfect. I used the Parma Faskolor water based paints on this one. The water based paints shoot kind of spattery through it and to thin it down so it'll shoot smooth (1:1 mix ratio paint to primer) it gets runny and watery so I have to go really slow while shading. It's even worse with the thin colors like the fluorescent orange I used on the flames and it takes forever. I spent more time shading than I did on the rest of it just to keep it from running. Oh well it turned out better than I expected so I'm happy with it.

I can't wait to run this thing just to see how insane it is.

It is a well build truck, should have a lot of fun with it.