RC poster

Loving my new E-Revo - But....

Hey guys and gals (assumption on my part),

I just bought a new e-revo (waterproof one) and am loving it.. so much faster than I thought it would be. I ran the slipper break in on the NIMH packs and then slipped in the 2S packs. I have zero history with RC cars or trucks, but love my quad copters and planes. I did ok with it and would have freaked out when it cart wheeled across the grass had I not watched people do SO MUCH WORSE to theirs in videos. I wouldn't do it on purpose, but I have confidence its well built and can take a beating, and if it breaks, I just fix it.

Now, first question... I have seen ZERO interest in RC planes and Quads when it comes to my 7 year old son. But when he saw the E-Revo brushless doing jumps and wheelies etc, he looked like the cat from Shrek when his eyes get all big.

Is there a way to tame this thing down to his speed (SLOWWWWW) until I can get him something more age appropriate? Can I run it somehow at low voltage, like a single NIMH battery rather than two, or possibly even that plus putting it in training mode? I really want to capture this love of the same hobby before it goes away.

Also, not for the e-revo thread probably, but is there a car/truck that any of you guys have bought for a 7-10 year old that seemed pretty good reliability wise and high fun factor at the same time? I was thinking of a Summit and only let him use it in low gear. That way we can use it for more advanced stuff when he gets better.

Suppose that was two questions, but same thinking.

Thanks.

RC Champion
    get a traxxas stampede 4x4 xl5 for your son

RC Qualifier
    You can purchase the Castle Link system. This lets you plug in the speed controller via USB and adjust how the truck performs. You could turn the max throttle, torque, and reverse down to like ~20%. Then he shouldn't be able to break it too bad.

They also make a field unit that will do some of the features of the computer one when your out and about.

Great ur enjoying the truck!

RC Champion
    Have you thought about getting a 1/16 Erevo VXL. Then you could put it in training mode that only runs at 50% power until he's ready. But it has to be put in training mode every time you turn it on, but it's not hard to do. Or you could get him a brushed 1/16 Erevo, but I forget if the brushed ESCs have training mode.

Or maybe a 1/16 Summit VXL or a 1/16 Summit brushed, and there bodies kinda have a roll cage incorporated into the bodies. So you wouldn't have to worry TOO much about him crashing the Summits. LOL. All VXL ESCs have Training Mode, I think. Someone please confirm this.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 02-28-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

run one battery and a plug adapter (jumper) on the other side. then he is only running on 7.4v not 14.8v

pic of jumper, another pic in the last post

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5616107

Full size Summit would be a good choice, then you have a truck that use some of the same parts.
    Or the full size Brushed Revo, then when he is older add a BL system...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    I think I am going to go for a Summit full sized.. I never thought about the sharing parts thing. If I break something only one of us would be down no matter which one it is. Plus then I (umm.. I mean we) will have speedy and beefy, just to differing levels.. so we can do whatever we want..

Can you run the Summit in low gear constantly on the road, or will that burn up the electronics from heat?

RC poster
    Crap, I can see the CFO requiring me to sell some assets before any more acquisitions are made.

I have a truck called SumRevo, uses a Dewalt motor and a Summit EVX-2 16.8v ESC. with locked diff for a full 4x4 crawler (gear for about 30 mph). I let the little one (he's 4) drive it for the first time in low gear, all went well. I am working on building him his own truck. I will use the EVX-2 and a Brushed motor with a two speed trans, like you said to run him in low gear. I will just watch the temps for awhile....

RC Qualifier
    i would have to second the brushed version since i built my 10 yr old grandson one and my 6 yr old grandson one too.they love them.the only problem i have is when i get mine out and it's geared a little faster they have a fit because pop pops is faster lol so now i geared it the same as theirs and all is good.

RC poster
    Don't tell my wife, but I just figured out that in training mode through the Traxxas Link App you can control the percentage of max throttle it can attain. I cranked it down to 20 percent with NIHM batteries and he was loving it...

Still think we need the Summit though.

RC Competitor
    Get your son the 1/16 ERevo VXL, I love mine. ALOT SLOWER than my 1/10 BL but still fun.

RC poster
    My son is also 7, and he has the stampede 4x4 VXL. I know they are not cheap, but it's a truck that can grow with him. It has a very age appropriate training mode. I have let him drive my summit, but he has a tendency to accidentally throw the switches on the diffs, which causes problems.

Don't tell my wife

What is posted in the forums stays in the forums............lol
    Not a real cheap hobbie but good QULITY time....

RC Qualifier
    Ah yes. But honestly, and I'm surprised no one mentioned this. A 1/16 rally (cool and could not flip if you tried) or a slash. Same idea. Only faster. But the stampede was my first truck. But the 2wd is a LOT more fun. But in the high speed turns it flips. But overall any truck would probably be good. As long as it's in training mode.

RC poster
    I will be honest, the more I think about this purchase "for my son", the more I realize I just want another truck/car/basher/whatever for myself and he can learn to love it with me by growing into it. Now that I realized I could remotely dial down the training mode throttle max (he is up to 30 percent now) the more I think the E-Revo Brushless will be a good training tool for him.

So far, I really think the E-Revo is about the best thing I could have purchased from a reliable fast but diverse platform (LOVE the TQi Link as well), but am thinking the Slash next. I just can't decide if its going to be 2WD or 4WD... probably 4 since it will be for 90 percent bashing and the odd race at the track. My next door neighbor is a HUGE racer and has a wall full of trophy's in his garage, so looking for some knowledge transfer there.

I have totally ignored my flying addiction since this purchase as well... gonna get with the guys and fly some FPV today I think.