RC poster

Need Some Help with an Old Rustler VXL

Rustler worked fine as a basher so It has it's battle scars. Nothing too serious but as of lately something has been causing a disturbance.

Can someone confirm that this is just a dead battery issue. I do NOT know the symptoms of a low battery nor can I find any help with this. Planning on ordering a LiPo & charger if someone can agree and also considering a glitch buster as well.

Thank you for your time to read and help the un-experienced and cheap.

I will gladly try anything you guys can recommend.

Symptoms:

* Turn full right, and servo twitches constantly from full right to about 1/2 left
    * Turn full left, maybe a minor twitch about halfway to straight then it will remain straight
    * Barely touch my throttle trigger - as in static charge of my finger makes the motor spin chunkily. I am touching the trigger and the wheels will spin in a hurry before the trigger pivots as if it is the static of my finger. I can let go and it will generally stop or continue.
    *Once I get the wheel spinning and full throttle it it maintains speed until I turn any amount and it will jump into reverse or stop.

(possible) Causes:

* Stock electronics (brushless motor, esc, receiver, servo, crystals, and radio controller)
    * Rather old battery (this may be it). My charger seems to not charge it anymore, it is done in about 5 -7 minutes instead of the usual 90 or so.
    * This seeming burned or damaged capacitor on the original servo
    * 4-5 years old

What I Have Tested:

* Used but working servo replaced, but only to display same symptoms so not a servo problem?
    * Put "faulty" servo into another rustler with the same old battery (I only have 2)
    * Everything else looks fine.

Some Pictures

Full Album here
    http://imgur.com/a/YChr1

For the Lazy - excuse the dust!

RC Champion
    You need to get a known good battery to trouble shoot. If you don't want to jump in to Lipo, I suggest a Traxxas 3,000mah 7 cell. These can be had on ebay for around $25 and are decent batteries. Once you have a good charged battery, you can trouble shoot the other issue.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC poster
    Alright, well I got myself an SPC LiPo. If the rustler fails I may try and make a buggy from the ground up or some sort of other automotive.

Thanks for the quick post!

RC Champion
    How long ago has the batteries been changed in the transmitter , low batteries in transmitter well hv the same affect . jmo
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Qualifier
    As silly as this sounds, I picked up a wrong remote to another vehicle and it displayed same results as you describe. Scratched my head and tore the truck apart for 2 hours until I realized it. Doh..... It happens. Also, does that remote take crystals in the back ? If so, they may be going bad

Beatings will continue until compliance is gained
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Qualifier
    The TQI is a crystal less system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    I would say something is up with the connections or possibly the ESC is almost shot. Like stated above I would replace all batteries you can. I think the transmitter in the pictures uses crystals.

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC Enthusiast
    Its not a TQi...its a 27hz one

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer911 View Post
    The TQI is a crystal less system
    Yes your correct, The TQi is a 2.4ghz system. But..there was no mention of a Tqi though?
    The OP has a AM system as pictured.

To the OP.....Now seeing you have the AM setup, as mentioned, I would def. check the crystals in the rx and tx, for proper seating, maybe faulty. All other connections too.

Another issue could be a faulty receiver, may have got wet, etc. I have seen a bad RX do some funny stuff in the past. I have also seen a shorted or have baked servo cause system problems when plugged into the RX.

Also as mentioned, make sure you have some fresh and known good batteries for both the car and the radio. IMO those old Venom's you got there, wernt worth a darn new from the factory.

Few things to check, no guarantees, but sometimes it's a process of elimination.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 02-27-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by heath24green View Post
    Alright, well I got myself an SPC LiPo. If the rustler fails I may try and make a buggy from the ground up or some sort of other automotive.

Thanks for the quick post!
    What charger do you have?
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Enthusiast
    Hmm...my message is gone...but I was going to say you can have my receiver all you would need to do is cover shipping cost. Its a AM one that you would need.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by minispdrcr View Post
    Hmm...my message is gone...but I was going to say you can have my receiver all you would need to do is cover shipping cost. Its a AM one that you would need.
    Your message was deleted, Because any trading/selling should be kept in the market place area. Or you could PM the individual.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Enthusiast
    Whoops...I was just letting him know its his if he wants it...Will PM him

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by guardog View Post
    As silly as this sounds, I picked up a wrong remote to another vehicle and it displayed same results as you describe. Scratched my head and tore the truck apart for 2 hours until I realized it. Doh..... It happens. Also, does that remote take crystals in the back ? If so, they may be going bad

Yes the remote does take crystals in the back. And I had thought that at one point, But i replaced the crystals with a friends set that works perfectly fine. Though, I have the same frequency crystals in both my receiver and transmitter with the same crystal.

RC poster

Ignore

I don't know how to delete these... Sorry.
    Last edited by heath24green; 03-01-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Was repost

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    What charger do you have?
    I have ordered a Traxxas charger

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FUKQ7M/...=IRB5CBBU4DEVX

when I ordered my SPC battery. And I got the charging down - charged plenty of LiPos, just none of my own.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    You need to get a known good battery to trouble shoot. If you don't want to jump in to Lipo, I suggest a Traxxas 3,000mah 7 cell. These can be had on ebay for around $25 and are decent batteries. Once you have a good charged battery, you can trouble shoot the other issue.
    Okay so now I just got my new LiPo. 2S2P (2cell 2 parrallel) 8.2mAh 7.4V. Charge for about an hour at .5C (4Amps). It is now fully charged. I plugg it in and the motor jittering has completely stopped. but hte servo is acting the same.

What should I try out now? Do you think I can tak eit down to a hobby store and ask to try some of their parts out for free (crystals, transmitter, receiver and ESC)

Thank you for the quick response!

RC poster
    Okay Final Sum Up

I replaced the car's primary batter with the LiPo stated above.
    I replaced the transmitter's batteries with fresh AA batteries.
    Started it up and reset the throttle and such as if i just got the car. everything is fine.
    Turn left and all is fine turn right and it does the twitching. Lastly the throttle is still out of whack.

But now I think it is the receiver/transmitter/crystal to be blamed. When I press really hard on the steering wheel on the transmitter it works flawlessly. And this is not torquing the wheel but simply pressing it towards the body of the transmitter. SO maybe something is loose inside. I may try to bring it to a shop and get some recommendations or test results.

Thank you all who have contributed.

RC Qualifier
    See if LHS will let you try one of their transmitters with same crystal or better yet. Try new 2.4 rx / tx. I doubt it's your servo

uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC poster
    The capacitors on the brushed motor are bad or don't have any and anything could be interfering with the signal. The car and radio you have is definitely a crystal system looking at the transmitter in the pic. get a 2.4 system.

RC Racer
    i had an old AM system in mine and it did some weird things (suddenly turn when i got to a certain spot and occasionally some motor jittering) changed to a 2.4 ghz system that got for 35 bucks and never sawthe problems again.