Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

brushless options for 1/16 digger

I'm looking at upgrading my son's digger to brushless. Has anyone had experience with the hobbywing 1/16 system? Seems like a good deal for under $50.

RC Champion
    can you post a link

RC Champion
    id go with the 5200kv motor

RC Enthusiast
    Is the hobbywing stuff pretty decent?

RC Champion
    Idk but why don't you get castle, usually cheap means bad product iin some case like integy

RC Enthusiast
    Which castle?

RC Champion
    That castle motor/esc combo is too small for the truck if you want castle you have to go 1/10 scale

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creatio...e+sidewinder+3
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC poster
    Agreed that castle is for 1/18 trucks I'd go with a 1/10 sidewinder3 tough fit especially in a grave digger though

RC Champion
    is there enough room for the sv3 tho

RC Qualifier
    A Castle 4600 or 5700 should drop right in or theres the Tenbol mount as well if you opt for that.

I got my SV3/4600 combo for 99 bucks on eBay.

The Sidewinder will take a little creativity to make it fit but people usually just mount it on its side where the old ESC was.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The HW stuff you linked too is too weak... you want at least a 60 amp ESC and somewhere around 4,000Kv for the 16ths. The stock V380 motor is a very hard motor to beat for affordability and performance. It will, however, require a different motor mount, motor plate, and hardware.

7077 Gear cover/Hardware
    7090 Motor Plate
    7060 Motor Mount

The physically smaller motor will help lower center of gravity so you can have better handling with the added speed.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    And the vxl 3m esc or would you recommend a different choice? I guess it would be nice to stay waterproof.

I would choose something else... it is a weak point in the 16th power system.

The Sidewinder 3 is waterproof and a common upgrade choice.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks everyone. Lots to think about.

RC Qualifier
    Funny thing a vxl-3s and a vxl-3m are exactly the same price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Just a thought... does the velineon 3500 from my p4de vxl fit?

Yes it will with the 550 mount parts.

RC Enthusiast
    And is the sidewinder 3 esc still a good match to the 3500?

Yes.

Keep in mind that with the extra power and the high center of gravity with the V3500 handling will suffer. This is why I suggest the smaller V380 motor... but if you already have the V3500 you might as well put it to use.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool. Don't know if I'll install it right away but I did just order the sct 3800 combo for my stampede so I'll have the v3500 as "extra". My plan is to convert the mini digger to 4wd first then switch to the v3500 and the sidewinder 3 esc.
    Last edited by headstrong4; 03-24-2014 at 12:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I upgraded my son's GD to brushless using the Traxxas Velineon 380 system. It's also upgraded to 4WD. He's been running it for two years now with only 2 servo, and 1 axle failure, and he beats on it pretty hard! I'd have to say stick with the Traxxas setup, but if you go different, Castle can't be beat for power & reliability.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Enthusiast
    Very nice aburg2. Do you have any videos of it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by headstrong4 View Post
    Very nice aburg2. Do you have any videos of it?
    Here's one from about 8 months ago. He's 6 now, and can drive it like he stole it!!! The GD is geared down to a 16T pinion/55T spur, also I installed a 2218X RX in it. He has a TQi Tx with docking base, so I can tune it down farther. In the vid, it's running at 60%, now he's up to 100%. It's also running a center diff with 100K oil in it, so no wheelies, and great traction.
    [IMG][/IMG]

AB

You may have to click in the image to run the video....

Also, it's running 2 1200mah NiMh batteries in parallel for a run time between 40 & 50 minutes.
    Last edited by aburg2; 03-25-2014 at 05:38 PM.

RC Champion
    So if it's down to the VXL3M and the Castle SV3 3800k combo, which would be better for handling and longevity-only running 2S batteries.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    So if it's down to the VXL3M and the Castle SV3 3800k combo, which would be better for handling and longevity-only running 2S batteries.
    I'll have to be honest with you, even though its NOT recommended, I've run 3 of my 1:16 scale road cars on 2 2S LiPo's in series just for speed runs. I took them out of LVD/LiPo mode and fooled them into thinking that I was running 2 MiMh in series. The voltage fully charged is actually lower for the LiPo's in series than the NiMh's! But, you get more punch! They went into thermal protection after around 10 minutes, but I haven't smoked any! They're still running, which proves to me, they're a worthwhile investment. There's also a guy on one thread who has mounted a VXL3S on a 1:16 chassis, using the 380 motor. I still say, either way, Castle, or Velineon, you can't go wrong. And again, what I did is NOT RECOMMENDED!!! But it was fun!!!
    AB

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I'll have to be honest with you, even though its NOT recommended, I've run 3 of my 1:16 scale road cars on 2 2S LiPo's in series just for speed runs. I took them out of LVD/LiPo mode and fooled them into thinking that I was running 2 MiMh in series. The voltage fully charged is actually lower for the LiPo's in series than the NiMh's! But, you get more punch! They went into thermal protection after around 10 minutes, but I haven't smoked any! They're still running, which proves to me, they're a worthwhile investment. There's also a guy on one thread who has mounted a VXL3S on a 1:16 chassis, using the 380 motor. I still say, either way, Castle, or Velineon, you can't go wrong. And again, what I did is NOT RECOMMENDED!!! But it was fun!!!
    AB
    Would you go with the smaller Velineon or the 1/10th scale Velineon?

RC Qualifier
    Would you go with the smaller Velineon or the 1/10th scale Velineon?
    I'm running the smaller ones now, but plan on testing the bigger one. Also, the bigger one has a lower voltage limit than the smaller one...I thought I would be able to run 2 LiPo's in series safely, but they are limited to 3S max...
    AB

Also, my boy has been running his GD for two years, without an ESC issue...I'm just sayin'...
    Last edited by aburg2; 03-26-2014 at 01:47 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Well, last night my son ran it directly into a tree and snapped the chassis. Now I'm thinking the rebuild may include the velineon 3500. I'll probably change to 4wd at the same time. Any other upgrades I MUST do while it's apart?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I'm running the smaller ones now, but plan on testing the bigger one. Also, the bigger one has a lower voltage limit than the smaller one...I thought I would be able to run 2 LiPo's in series safely, but they are limited to 3S max...
    AB

Also, my boy has been running his GD for two years, without an ESC issue...I'm just sayin'...
    How is the braking power with your truck?

RC Racer
    I'm happy with the 1/16 velineon in my sons digger, been going strong for over a year now, gearing is 18/55, I got the toyz chassis braces and they have been good, also lots of other stuff, lol, heres a few pics

and a few vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYbXjw66igQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0_LxY1l8U0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by headstrong4 View Post
    Well, last night my son ran it directly into a tree and snapped the chassis. Now I'm thinking the rebuild may include the velineon 3500. I'll probably change to 4wd at the same time. Any other upgrades I MUST do while it's apart?
    Instead of using the 3500, I would buy a Velineon380 and use it with the vxl-3s that you already have. Its an excellent and inexpensive motor (prob pound for pound the best motor Traxxas makes) and you will benefit from the lower center of gravity.

I think it can be had for around $40 on ebay

RC Enthusiast
    Will the center of gravity be much different with the 3500 over the 12t titan?

RC Enthusiast
    Suggestions on what pinion I should put on with the v3500?

RC Enthusiast
    I switched everything over to the new chassis and switched to the vxl 3s system. After assembling, it seems the servo isn't working. It makes a noise whenever power is on but doesn't move with the steering control. I tried switching channels and relinking but does the same thing.

Center of gravity will be different due to the heavier motor. How different I do not know.

Start with your stock pinion and adjust according to temps.

Is the servo plugged in the correct way?
    Have you tried plugging the ESC into channel 3 and the servo in channel 2 to see if the trigger will operate the servo?
    I would also try to move the servo manually. It may be stuck.

It is not uncommon for the 16ths servo to quit unexpectedly.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks j.n. I tried the channel switch and still the same.

I just figured out I hadput it together 180 degrees out and I think that was messing with it. I flipped it in now it seems to be good

RC Qualifier
    How is the braking power with your truck?
    No problem whatsoever, actually, it almost wants to nose over upside down! It actually will lift the rear wheels off the ground!
    AB

RC Enthusiast
    I got the 4x4 kit installed with the V3500 and this little thing is a blast. We haven't run it on lipo yet but have had some serious fun on parallel nimh.