Thread: Basher and VXL?

RC Racer

Basher and VXL?

Hello all,
    I got out of the hobby a little while back due to lack of funds and i'm looking to get back in. I have a Rustler right now but I am thinking about selling it and getting into something a little different.

I am under the impression that the Telluride is a trail rig, but can it be made into an all around basher? I like the 4x4 and the more scaler look.

I'd like to be able to go 40mph+, is that practical with the wheelbase and the potential to roll over? I have the VXL system, can I put it in the Telluride with no problems? Is it "brushless ready"?

Thanks for any input.

RC Competitor
    It is the same as stampede it can bash and can be made to go 40 mph
    Quote Originally Posted by joe423 View Post
    Hello all,
    I got out of the hobby a little while back due to lack of funds and i'm looking to get back in. I have a Rustler right now but I am thinking about selling it and getting into something a little different.

I am under the impression that the Telluride is a trail rig, but can it be made into an all around basher? I like the 4x4 and the more scaler look.

I'd like to be able to go 40mph+, is that practical with the wheelbase and the potential to roll over? I have the VXL system, can I put it in the Telluride with no problems? Is it "brushless ready"?

Thanks for any input.

RC Racer
    So essentially the Telluride is a 4x4 Stampede but brushed?

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by joe423 View Post
    So essentially the Telluride is a 4x4 Stampede but brushed?
    Yes, but with smaller tires and low gearing.

RC Racer
    Upgrades needed for VXL?

RC Competitor
    Manual recommends changing out the high stall clutch to the slipper clutch used in the Stampede 4x4. This changes your gears to 32p, so you also need to change the pinion. The stock slipper is 54t and normal range for the pinions is 11-17t.

I am running a castle 3800k motor on 2S with 13t pinion and the much larger 2.8 x 3 monster truck trencher tires and run just under 40 on a full battery and somewhere in the mid 30s once the battery voltage settles. The Velineon is a 3500k and the stock tires are smaller diameter, so you will have to go a couple of teeth more on the pinion or change the spur to get the same speed (not sure how how high you can go without overheating the motor).

The only issue that I found with the short wheelbase is that it doesn't want to jump/land correctly. You need to have the driving skills and have to work to get it to land on its wheels. My son has a Slash 4x4 and that lands on its wheels almost every time no matter what you do. On this truck if your driving is not perfect you will nosedive or flip backwards. I cracked my telly body in half and shredded a stampede body so for and still don't have the hang of it. I am seriously contemplating changing the main chassis to a slash chassis to get the longer wheelbase and more options for replacement bodies.

RC Racer
    im running the castle sct system it was 95 bucks at tower hobbies, i ordered the stampede slipper and pinions but still havent installed them yet and its holding up pretty good had to get a wheelie bar since i was ruining the bumper and body
    but im running trencher sc tires on proline beadlocks i might try the 2.8 setup once i get around to buying them and then i might swap in the slipper