Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxin View Post
    Any brushless motor like the castle 4100kv, 5300kv, and the 8100kv(I think its 8100)
    oh ok then I think i'm going to go this route and get the vxl-3m and the 4100kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    oh ok then I think i'm going to go this route and get the vxl-3m and the 4100kv
    Now that I think about it that's the route I shoulda taking so my esc's would be waterproof
    Twin Brushless Latrax Teton, .21TM Jato

RC Champion
    Now that I think about it that's the route I shoulda taking so my esc's would be waterproof
    yea that's the main thing I want to have, but I cant find the motor separately on ebay. I just see the mamba micro combo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item53fccf0d83

RC Champion
    nevermind...found it on towerhobbies. I think that's the same motor.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAYD&P=7

RC Qualifier
    yea that's the main thing I want to have, but I cant find the motor separately on ebay. I just see the mamba micro combo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item53fccf0d83
    here ya go http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...p2054897.l4275 they also have them at rc planet

RC Qualifier
    nevermind...found it on towerhobbies. I think that's the same motor.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAYD&P=7
    yea that's the right. its the 0808 4 pole motor

RC Champion
    here ya go http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...p2054897.l4275 they also have them at rc planet
    cooooool even cheaper on ebay (that's where I get my rc parts 99% of the time) thanks for the help my man.

RC Racer
    I'm not sure the VXL-3m will play well with the 4-pole. Do they still have the rpm limiter?

You need to double the pulses for a 4-pole vs 2-pole.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoVW72 View Post
    To expand on it a little bit:

The Mini-t shafts have a 4mm stub, so you have to come up with a solution to the hub bearings. The stock bearings are 6x10x3mm, so you have to come up with bearings that are 4x10x3mm. I haven't found any cheap ones and I've been working on coming up with some sleeves to use more economical 4x8x3 bearings.

The main hurdle is the front hubs that have a spacer that is 8mm in diameter, essentially you end up with nothing to hold the wheels on the truck.
    So I came up with a sleeve that you could glue in, once you dremeled out the stock spacer, to hold the 8mm bearings.

Also working on hexes, I think you can use mini-8ight hexes, not 100% on that though.
    If you bought bought the correct size bearings, found hexes, and removed the out drive rings you'd be good
    Did you figured out a total solution about it? I think few of us could be interested to upgrade driveshafts as well for a complete kick-*** upgrade!

RC Competitor
    So the vxl 3m works with the castle 0808 4100 KV?

RC Competitor
    I think I'll do that instead of mamba micro I like waterproof

RC Racer
    Working on the finishing touches.
    As it turns out the out drive rings do a lot to keep them from turning out like this:

Mini-eight hexes don't work, so I'm also working on those.

Nice man. good job
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatdudewithaMERV View Post
    So the vxl 3m works with the castle 0808 4100 KV?
    Same question

RC Enthusiast
    I have a Teton, looking at a lipo brushless upgrade. I plan on running the Traxxas 2820 lipo (7.4v and 2200 mAh) mostly because they fit nicely in the car. I also will be running the vxl 3m. So with that battery in mind what kind/size brushless motor should I be looking at? The OP running a 6800 kv (although it appears they are no longer available). I have 2 questions:

1. what kv motor would any of you recommend with the battery I intend on using (2820)
    2. What would it mean to go to a "bigger" or "smaller" kv motor as compared to the 6800kv the OP is running?

RC Enthusiast
    I buy B20-40-12L Brushless Inrunner Motor 4800kv from hobby king, it's a 2 pole motor.
    Actually I've 0808 4100kV on order but many people say vxl-3m would not work with 4 pole.

RC Enthusiast
    I have been looking at motors, and some motors (specifically the 1/18Th Toro Micro Brushless Motor Combo Set 25A ESC with 4300KV;4 poles) which looked like a good option comes with the esc. I then read somewhere about "cards" to program the esc. I have been thinking all along that I would go with the same traxxas VXL-3m esc, but does it need to be programed? Are esc that can be programed with a "card" a better option?

I feel like the more I learn the more lost I am, on what to buy or what I "need."

RC Enthusiast
    Also that Toro motor esc combo (which is back ordered from Hobby parts) http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...5a-4300kv.html is only 35 dollars. So what do I "get" besides water proof if I buy the VXL-3m?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jsta281 View Post
    I have been looking at motors, and some motors (specifically the 1/18Th Toro Micro Brushless Motor Combo Set 25A ESC with 4300KV;4 poles) which looked like a good option comes with the esc. I then read somewhere about "cards" to program the esc. I have been thinking all along that I would go with the same traxxas VXL-3m esc, but does it need to be programed? Are esc that can be programed with a "card" a better option?

I feel like the more I learn the more lost I am, on what to buy or what I "need."
    The card you hear about is most likely the castle field card. you dont need that card imo definitely not with the toro system. At the end of the day it's a 1/18th scale truck. 1/18th performance is what you get. You dont want to over-purchase or over-do things with this truck my friend or you'll just have a over-powered truck with a nice system but always broken. I would just get the toro system, slap in a 2s lipo and have fun. (I tried 3s but its un-driveable) maybe grab a pair of the steel drive-shafts but other than that, that's all you need. I run my toro-teton ragged and have yet to snap a driveshaft. stock gearing. Only thing i had to replace since purchasing is the diff that was clicking. This thing hauls tail on 2s temps stay nice too with this setup.

At first i was like most members here, wanting to throw too much onto this truck but then i realized that at the end of the day its a 1/18th scale truck. It's only so much it can handle. Just keep it simple and you'll save alot of cash my friend
    Last edited by G-Rustler; 05-07-2014 at 02:46 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    The card you hear about is most likely the castle field card. you dont need that card imo definitely not with the toro system. At the end of the day it's a 1/18th scale truck. 1/18th performance is what you get. You dont want to over-purchase or over-do things with this truck my friend or you'll just have a over-powered truck with a nice system but always broken. I would just get the toro system, slap in a 2s lipo and have fun. (I tried 3s but its un-driveable) maybe grab a pair of the steel drive-shafts but other than that, that's all you need. I run my toro-teton ragged and have yet to snap a driveshaft. stock gearing. Only thing i had to replace since purchasing is the diff that was clicking. This thing hauls tail on 2s temps stay nice too with this setup.

At first i was like most members here, wanting to throw too much onto this truck but then i realized that at the end of the day its a 1/18th scale truck. It's only so much it can handle. Just keep it simple and you'll save alot of cash my friend
    Thanks for the response, What you stated is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. The Toro motor esc combo is no longer available at least at the link provided. I have been looking at the Castle Creation 1/18 sidewinder micro sport esc and Castle Creations 0808 motor (in either 4100kv or 5300kv) with 2200 mAh 30C lipo. I already ordered the aluminum dog bones. Would love to hear positive or negative comments on this proposed set up?

RC Racer
    I have mamba micro pro 0808 4100kv, I love it. Just out throttle punch to medium and I don't notice any breakages with aluminum driveshaft upgrades.
    Although my stock batteries are dead, only holds charge for 5 minutes

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackislost View Post
    I have mamba micro pro 0808 4100kv, I love it. Just out throttle punch to medium and I don't notice any breakages with aluminum driveshaft upgrades.
    Although my stock batteries are dead, only holds charge for 5 minutes
    I would love to hear specific details on how/what (pics) you needed to modify to make the motor fit. I would like advice on the 4100 or 5300 what I understand is that the 5300 top speed will be better, (probably too fast) any other appreciable difference?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jsta281 View Post
    I would love to hear specific details on how/what (pics) you needed to modify to make the motor fit. I would like advice on the 4100 or 5300 what I understand is that the 5300 top speed will be better, (probably too fast) any other appreciable difference?
    The motor plate needs to me demeled a bit, the screws position is too close together. I didn't have a dremel ready so for this step I just used a metal file. That's the hardest part. The second hardest part is meshing the pinion gear with the spur gear so the two gears won't be too loose or too tight. You would need new servo tape (double side sticky tape) to mount the new ESC. You pretty much mod or toss the top black ESC + receiver hold down. Your electronics won't be water resistant anymore but there's ways around that to make it. Its easy to do this mod but it is time consuming if you don't have a dremel and experience. I'm sure someone could dremel your motor plate if a member on this forum lives close by.

RC Competitor
    Guys, are the diff gears on this truck all plastic? I did the brushless mod with a 0808 5600kv, and the truck was great for two packs.. and then, massive clicking, to find busted drive shafts.. BUT, also, I think the diff is also destroyed too.

FWIW.. I glued the tires to the wheels.. and I think this may have been a mistake. I thing having a little extra give with the rubber / plastic was helping me with the packs that were fine. :-(

Anyway.. are there any upgrade diff gears out there?