Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 1/16 Mini Emaxx

RC Racer
    Almost lost the truck tonight! ESC fried and 3s lipo went up in flames within seconds after I quickly removed it from the truck! Way too close for comfort. Whew!!

So what's everyones opinion on castles sidewinder 3 waterproof? I'm going to retain the stock brushless motor.
    Last edited by Aspengt; 03-28-2014 at 08:37 PM.

RC Competitor
    Buy a cheap 3d printer, build cad files, you got some serious money on your hands. Great build
    If it ain't a Traxxas, it ain't fast

RC Enthusiast
    I use it in one of my trucks. It is very small for a 1/10 scale rc esc. Personally I think it's great other than my brakes were a little too strong. I think it's a great buy for $50. Anyone notice how the mamba micro pro is about $25 more than the sv3???

RC Racer
    Ended up winning a new castle sv3 with 5700kv motor off of Ebay from an authorized dealer so the manufacturer warranty is good for only $47 plus $5 shipping. Wasnt going to get the motor but I couldnt pass up that deal!

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Nice score! Glad you and the truck are ok. What caused the problem?
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Nice score! Glad you and the truck are ok. What caused the problem?
    I really do not know what caused it. I was out with my 2 year old son helping him drive it around the back yard, well me giving it throttle and him attempting to steer. Of course he was having a great time, and we were going slow so not beating it at all and it just stopped and the ESC started to smoke badly and I ran over to it and quickly took off the body and by that time the battery was puffing up and leaking I quickly disconnected the bracket and ripped the battery out throwing it about 10 ft away. Then within about 5 seconds it caught on fire. Im very glad his mother was out there with us to keep him away, and also that I got the lipo out. The lipo was tested and balanced. I think the esc shorted causing the lipo to short.

Now I have 2 SPC 2S lipos on their way along with the new Castle SV3 and 5700kv motor! So yes it sucked but now it will be an even better mini maxx! I also have nylon infused plastic coming to allow me to build the lower A-arms in 1 piece instead of 3. This should take care of that design flaw.

RC poster
    wow congrats.. on the build it looks great if your ever interested in selling your design ( if traxxas doesnt buy it from you) i think you can contact shapeways.com they are a 3d printing place and you can upload your design and sell the kit for people to purchase...look into it i know a few people that do it. I just ordered a custom bell crank for my losi micro from shapeways that a fellow forum user uploaded...

RC Competitor
    looks sweet

RC Champion
    That thing is going to be a beast with the castle system in it. I have the exact same system in my merv and love it.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC poster
    Amazing thread. Very sorry about the esc/lipo incident. Glad it wasn't as bad as it could've been.

RC Racer
    Ok, so most of you will probably think im crazy but since I have been waiting for parts to arive I build doing some redesigns, the original chassis was long enough to install the castle system but it didnt leave enough space for me. I want everything to look like its suppose to be there. Not only does it need to be precise but it has to look really clean. I am also making some changes to the battery trays, I am switchimg them from plastic to aluminum. The aluminum will allow more space for the batteries, look better, weigh less, and add strength. The pics below show the original chassis vs the new one. The width is the same but I have added 3/16 of an inch in length to the rear and moved the trans mount location 1/8" inch forward. The rear chassis cross brace and rear battery hold down is 1/8" deeper and now will lock around the chassis to tie into the support braces strengthening the entire assembly.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    dude been watching your build its insane makes me want to do a build too how strong is the derlin plastic?

RC Enthusiast
    Watch out for the diffs and drive lines and driveshafts with that castle

RC Racer
    Finally received the plastic to allow me to build the lower A-arms in one piece. Now to just find the time.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy t-maxx View Post
    dude been watching your build its insane makes me want to do a build too how strong is the derlin plastic?
    Thank you. It works well for the chassis and braces but I had to switch out to nylon plastic for the a-arms for increased durability in those areas. I may eventually switch everything over to the nylon material.

RC Racer
    Routing done. Now to start the detail work.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Enthusiast
    Looks great. I'd buy one if tax as made them. I'm more of a maxx guy than the revos. I've owned three 1/10 maxxs and liked them way more than the one revo I have messed with.

RC Qualifier
    It looks like a fun project! im actually considering on building it! I wonder if it would be better to 3d print some things that are harder to make by hand.

RC poster
    Dude I have been waiting for so long for someone to do a project like this! Super cool. Nice work and I can't wait for it to be finished. Traxxas should make you a worker or something for traxxas, becuase if you get a mini e-maxx, Im buying and putting it next to my 3 other 1/16 cars.

RC Racer
    Working with the nylon 6/6 plastic is a lot more difficult then the delrin. Hopefully it's a lot more durable as well. Here are a few pics of the first lower a-arm. This is a rough shaping and still requires the shock mounts to be carved out and final sizing to fit the bulkheads.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    What is that plastic's brand? Where did you get it?

This is a truly spectacular project. I've never seen a project like this.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    What is that plastic's brand? Where did you get it?

This is a truly spectacular project. I've never seen a project like this.
    Thanks! Im not sure the brand. Its nylon 6/6 plastic and Delrin. I got both pieces online.

RC Racer
    New chassis is taking a almost as long to build as the original. Im spending a lot of time with the details on this chassis. Now im trying to determine which layout I want to have for the castle system.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    Another chassis redesign today. This design ties the front and rear bulkhead together and helps strengthen the entire chassis. Also the first carbon fiber battery tray test fit.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    Wow. This is by far the best from scratch build I've ever seen. Keep up the good work.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Racer
    Working on the little details now. Esc mount, wire routing, switch placement.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC poster
    Looks great brotha, carbon fiber is a really nice touch, the little details like the flush mount on off switch box really make this a incredible build. Now get it back together and we'll do a durability test with the 5ive! First I have to tune the beast up and get her running properly. Maybe my neighbors will have another open house and I can schedule a test run during it.

RC Racer
    With the new chassis design completed its now time to start to work on all the little pieces that will bring it all together. So my next objective was to redo the chassis braces and skid plates since the chassis is now extended 3/8” on the back end. The only part that truly needed any changes was the chassis braces as their length needed to be extended along with a few other small changes that I decided to do. As for the skid plates I am only redoing them to allow for the screw holes, where they attached to the chassis braces, to be moved in slightly allowing for more material to remain on the ends which will improve overall strength. The big change here is the material that I am now using for the braces. I have decided to use aluminum for the chassis braces instead of the Delrin plastic that I had originally used. Not only is it significantly stronger it weighs almost the same and in my opinion looks infinitely better. The downside is instead of taking me about 30 minutes to make one chassis brace it now takes me about 2.5 hours.
    What I started with
    [IMG][/IMG]
    What I finished with
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    And compared to the original braces
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    Holy cow! I admire the work you put into such an awesome project. Very cool, Aspengt!
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

RC Champion
    That chassis brace looks really sweet.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Great craftmanship!

RC Racer
    Test fit of the new chassis braces and center skid plate.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Racer
    all i can say is WOW!!!!

RC poster
    Dang, that rig is freakin' sweet! This makes me wish that I had a mill.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bagdkota2000 View Post
    Looks great brotha, carbon fiber is a really nice touch, the little details like the flush mount on off switch box really make this a incredible build. Now get it back together and we'll do a durability test with the 5ive! First I have to tune the beast up and get her running properly. Maybe my neighbors will have another open house and I can schedule a test run during it.
    Thanks man! Im all for the durability test but im not going to put it up against your 5ive! I will however run the 1/10 maxx with the 5ive. Or ill run the mini maxx with anything else you got. But unless I make this out of titanium im not going to put the mini maxx in harms way with that 35lb beast. Ha!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspengt View Post
    Thanks man! Im all for the durability test but im not going to put it up against your 5ive! I will however run the 1/10 maxx with the 5ive. Or ill run the mini maxx with anything else you got. But unless I make this out of titanium im not going to put the mini maxx in harms way with that 35lb beast. Ha!
    After all the strengthening you did to your 1/10 Maxx I wouldn't be surprised if that took something out on the 5ive, we need to get out soon. I've been working every Saturday so maybe we can line up a Sunday AM bash.

RC Racer
    Pro-Line.... BIG JOE II's are on their way!! Along with their Desperado wheels and a new F-150 raptor body. This time I'm going to go with orange on the body to match up with my 1/10 scale E-maxx.

I can not wait to try out these new tires see how they perform and see just how much they transform the look of the Mini Maxx into a true Monster truck!

Also have silver aluminum carriers on the way along with the adjustable toe links.

RC Qualifier
    Well I'm impressed! Look great.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Man, with the new aluminum additions, that thing should be tough. Looking (unbelievably) even better all the time. SKILLS.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    WOW this might be one of the coolest custom builds out there! The craftsman shift is amazing! Keep it up!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast