Traxxas Employee

The Boss 302 - Midnight Special

The pictures kinda suck, but I'll try to take some better ones. I'm happy with the way the paint turned out. I used black Plasti-dip on the inside of the shell and two coats black polycarb on the outside with an additional two coats of flat black lacquer on top of that. I've done all the usual bolt-on mods with a few extra touches. I've got 200k oil in the front diff and 100k in the rear. It seems to hook up nicely with this. I've got several wheel/tire combos, but the best are the stock tires from a nitro 4-Tec. I'm running extra soft double-orange GTR shocks with 60w shock oil which really smooths out the bumps. Finally I'm using a VXL-3S to power the 380 motor. I did not want to use the 3500 motor because it's just too much power to keep it in a straight line. I believe the 380 motor has more potential left in it which is why I went with the 3S. It can provide the motor every bit of current that it can draw without breaking a sweat.

RC Competitor
    Epic. Love the car. Trying to find a mustang body to fit my E Revo. So jealous now.
    New ERBEWP, going 2s2p 9400mAh

Traxxas Employee
    So much for that body...

On my first day running it I flipped and skidded on the roof. That's okay, this paint had a few imperfections I didn't like anyway. I'll paint another one up. The good thing is that if I buffed it with 2000 grit sandpaper and repainted it, I could probably get rid of most of the scratches. That's the only good thing about having the outside painted.

The double orange shocks are great for bumps, but roll too much in the curves. I will need to find a better solution. The 200k diff oil makes a huge difference. I can peg it at near full throttle and it still goes arrow straight. The motor seems to be a lot stronger on the 3s. I will measure speed one of these days, but I think it's easily hitting 50.

RC Competitor
    Looks very nice! Is it a drift machine?

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
    Looks very nice! Is it a drift machine?
    I don't know what it is. It's not a drifter, at least not with these tires. They are way too sticky. If anything I wanted to make a little pavement autocrosser / high speed racer.

RC Competitor
    If you have pm ill send you set up info to help you out if you want

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Here is a speed calculator.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Thanks Jimmie this will help out very much

RC Racer
    200k diff oil? Was that in front/rear or center. I have a smallblock brushless boss with a 4370kv motor. I have done everything I can think of and still can't give it full throttle without it wanting to spin.. springs,oil, swaybars, tires...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla2891 View Post
    200k diff oil? Was that in front/rear or center. I have a smallblock brushless boss with a 4370kv motor. I have done everything I can think of and still can't give it full throttle without it wanting to spin.. springs,oil, swaybars, tires...
    Maybe this will help you figure out what you are missing in order to get full throttle http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31191

Traxxas Employee
    I used 200k in the front diff and 100k in the rear. I'm not using a center, though I may at some point. I don't have any problem steering with 200k. I thought about going even higher, but I'm worried it might affect steering. I can go nearly full throttle without any problems on 3s. If I do go WOT, then I get a bit of a weave, but I still don't spin out. After about a dozen WOT runs up to 50+ MPH, the diffs were getting a little looser as the fluid heated up. After they cooled down again, I had good locking action.

On a funnier note, I snapped my rear center driveshaft, making this beast FWD only. You've never seen understeer so bad. The tightest circle I could manage was about 30'. I could easily spin the tires 100' before they finally hooked up and stopped spinning.

RC Competitor
    Always fun when that happens.

RC Champion
    Looks great dude! Wonder how it would look with black wheels?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    E-Maxxdude, Nice build! I hadn't thought of using the 3S ESC with the 380 motor. I have a Boss 302 & a KB, both set up to run fast, but the poor lil' 3M keeps going into thermal shutdown after 10 minutes. Can you post some pics that show how you mounted it? I could run some 2S LiPo's in series without a problem with that ESC! Thanks for the info.
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

No, you cannot. The 3S ESC has a 3S battery limit.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    No, you cannot. The 3S ESC has a 3S battery limit.
    Hmmmm..... did not know that. What's the limit on NiMh? Thanks!

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Qualifier
    That the traxxas boss body ? I am i Mid build and was thinking of getting that body.... but never seen a good picture of it. THANKS!!! If thats th eone, i will be getting it. Looks NICE

Traxxas Employee
    The paint turned out so nicely on the Boss that I am about to do a matt black XO-1. In some ways it's more durable. Lexan scratches so easily that paint will actually resist minor scuffs better. You can also sand it and repaint it if it does get scratched.

RC Competitor
    Sweet car! I love the black paint. Looks really good!