Spare Parts Build.... Ever Done One?

Starting out with a stock Slash, I have have converted most of it into a PL Pro-2 truck. As a result, I have a lot of Slash parts sitting in around (chassis, arms, tranny cases, etc). These parts, with a bunch more I have collected over the years got me to thinking what I could build. With the wheels left over from my 4x4 Pede (now coverted to a 4wd Slash), I decided on build an MT Slash, a truck that will do wheelies on command and will be the truck I let family and friends drive.

So, I have the chassis just about done, I need to get some shocks together and mount up the body, the last things will be the ESC, motor and radio. What I am finding is that I almost had enough parts to do this build, I have had to go to the hobby shop to get some parts and pieces. Looking at the receipts, I am about $60 into this 'spare parts' build, without the electronics. I figure when I am done I will will likely have $120 - $150 into this truck. While I like the thought of using up parts just laying around, it seems like it just would have been cheaper to buy a used RTR and roller.

Anyone else find this same problem when they went to do a 'spare parts' build?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I have done this quite a few times, both with Maxx trucks and Slashes. And yes, it always seems to cost more than I thought it would. All those little "odd 'n ends" really start to add up! I still continue to do it, though. I am contemplating doing the same thing with a pile of E-4tec parts I have after totally refurbing my E-4tec drifter. Usually, after a while, I end up selling the spares build to build something else. Usually a money losing effort. But I love it!!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - More to come!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    I have experience with this and everything thing you forget about or don't worry about because it's so small nickle and dimes the death out of you by the end. You are by no means saving money that's for sure.

Luckily I have the rolling chassis together with no more trips to the hobby shop:

The next step is to get a used XL5, a 15 - 20 turn motor, and a radio system, I am thinking a used TQ2.4. This thing has been an all out fight to get it together. My shop looks like a hobby shop blew up in it, parts and tools everywhere. Tomorrow's project: clean up the shop...

Time to shelve this project for now, I have my E-Maxx Trail Truck and Slash snow rig still sitting on the bench begging for attention...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Its usually the small stuff that kills me too.

If this is a loaner truck, consider that s600 motor for cost savings and appropriate performance. Will keep broken parts cost down, and they run forever with average maintenance.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    I have built a pair of Stampedes, 1 rustler and one Bandit from spare parts.

RC Competitor
    This got me thinking I think I'm gonna do one. I have just about everything minus a servo and a couple little things! Maybe I'll do a thread for it too.