RC Champion

Question Instaling a high torque servo BEC question

Hi guys,
    I have the MMP and the internal BEC could be changed using the link application;
    I would like to install my tactic TSX55 ultra torque servo which can pull 203 oz at 6v , will probably get the digital version later on TSX 57.
    I chose a high torque servo since the power comes all from the back on the 2wd, less speed but I think it will be a good set up for my heavy FLM build
    My question is , is it better for me to get an external BEC or just run it off the ESC and change the setting via the application. When and what situation will you guys use another BEC any way. Or only when you get a higher voltage servo.......
    Does it really matter to get a BEC since it will run under 6V just like my 2075, what's is the difference if I just plug and play like the 2075.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Jezza; 02-16-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

The big difference is the amount of power the servo will draw. A Traxxas BEC kicks out 4.8VDC, putting a higher torque servo in tends to draw more amperage than what the ESC can deliver, and it causes glitching (RC version of a brown-out). This is why we install external BECs, so that we can adjust the power to where we want it and to not push the ESC's BEC pasts its limits.

Given that your ESC has adjustable voltage leads me to think in is designed for higher torque servos. Setting it at 6VDC should be a safe voltage, but if you start seeing glitching or stutter-starts, it might be the servo drawing too much power; in this case, you'd want to install and external BEC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The big difference is the amount of power the servo will draw. A Traxxas BEC kicks out 4.8VDC, putting a higher torque servo in tends to draw more amperage than what the ESC can deliver, and it causes glitching (RC version of a brown-out). This is why we install external BECs, so that we can adjust the power to where we want it and to not push the ESC's BEC pasts its limits.

Given that your ESC has adjustable voltage leads me to think in is designed for higher torque servos. Setting it at 6VDC should be a safe voltage, but if you start seeing glitching or stutter-starts, it might be the servo drawing too much power; in this case, you'd want to install and external BEC.
    Thanks I will look into those option once I have tested the configurations of what I thought I have seen otherwise will just get an external one.
    Last edited by Jezza; 02-16-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

You can buy a plug in Novac bec (easy option), or get the Castle solder-in bec that is a little more robust. I have both. The Novac seems to do the trick and have never had any problems with brownouts after installing. The Castle works well too but takes a bit of soldering.

Check out the Novac in post #79
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    You can buy a plug in Novac bec (easy option), or get the Castle solder-in bec that is a little more robust. I have both. The Novac seems to do the trick and have never had any problems with brownouts after installing. The Castle works well too but takes a bit of soldering.

Check out the Novac in post #79
    Thanks I will check both of them
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    As long as the steering servo isn't drawing over 6.0v, you'll be fine with Castle's internal bec. If your servo is glitching, just get a glitch buster, either a Racers Edge, or Novak. Just make sure you got an extra channel avaliable on your Rx. I run a Novak #5626 one on my FLM EMAXX.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by quantumreality View Post
    As long as the steering servo isn't drawing over 6.0v, you'll be fine with Castle's internal bec. If your servo is glitching, just get a glitch buster, either a Racers Edge, or Novak. Just make sure you got an extra channel avaliable on your Rx. I run a Novak #5626 one on my FLM EMAXX.
    Thanks, yup I have an extra channel on the 3ply, will verify first if my lhs have some in stock , otherwise will order on line.
    Live life to the fullest

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Jezza, try running the servo w/o the external bec first. set the mmp's bec @ 6v. My savox 0251 has the same torque and the mmp handles it just fine with no issues. How fast is that servo? If its super fast, it could pull more amps through the bec and cause issues...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Jezza, try running the servo w/o the external bec first. set the mmp's bec @ 6v. My savox 0251 has the same torque and the mmp handles it just fine with no issues. How fast is that servo? If its super fast, it could pull more amps through the bec and cause issues...
    Luckily this one is not very fast speed @60 at 4.8 volts is rated at 0.24 sec and at 6 volts at 0.21 sec. So far I am quite impressed with the price actually, there is one that is extremely fast and pulls 356 oz and a speed of 0.13 sec at 7.4 volts, and costs only 50 bucks compared to the hitec I had wanted or savox...just waiting on it to arrive at the lhs
    Last edited by Jezza; 02-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

That servo will not trigger an mmp brownout. No extras needed.
    My savox 0251 is rated @ .16 and 200+ oz for 40$

That 356oz godzilla you ordered will def put a hurtin' on the mmp bec...

RC Champion
    Yep, should work fine on the MMP. The only thing it may need is a cap / glitch buster. I run a savox 500oz @ 6v off of an MMP. I use an 8800uf cap, and have no issues.

RC Champion
    That servo will not trigger an mmp brownout. No extras needed.
    My savox 0251 is rated @ .16 and 200+ oz for 40$

That 356oz godzilla you ordered will def put a hurtin' on the mmp bec...
    Where do you guys get a savox at such a reasonable price, they are costly out here and my lhs do not carry them.
    Live life to the fullest

Direct from savox, or any online shop shold have them:
    http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC0251...avsc0251mg.htm

... I see that Savox rates this servo at .18 sec. I think they are way off. It feels much faster than trx 2075(rated@ .16 sec). More like .13-.14 sec.
    Last edited by rag6; 02-17-2014 at 01:03 PM.

RC Champion
    Direct from savox, or any online shop shold have them:
    http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC0251...avsc0251mg.htm

... I see that Savox rates this servo at .18 sec. I think they are way off. It feels much faster than trx 2075(rated@ .16 sec). More like .13-.14 sec.
    Thanks for the link, I will check it out
    some servos have a great speed but less torque. Would you compensate speed for torque or it is better to go for speed;
    I have not got any 4X4 but I assume that on that power are all distributed on all corners so a speedy servo would be great to compliment it.
    I chose a servo that had more torque on here so that it will rotate even with harder frictions since, no power from a drive train. I am just wondering if my theory is correct or way off...
    Last edited by Jezza; 02-17-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    Live life to the fullest