RC Competitor

Updating and older Stampede (1990s version)

Hey guys I have an older Stampede, been into RC since the late 1980s and packed everything away about 10 years ago when I moved to a place that has no electric racing so to speak of . I decided to sell most of the stuff to get it out of the way but I want to keep the stampede to play with in the yard.

There are a few things I see different with the new 'Pedes.

1) The 3.8 Rims and tires, I see they use a 17mm hex, are the hexes the only thing I need to put 3.8 rims and tires on my truck?

2) The new slipper do I only have to buy the slipper assembly and topshaft to convert my tranny to use the new slipper?

RC Champion
    The weight of the 3.8 tires will put a big strain on your motor/esc and tranny.

Download the exploded view of the newer stampede to see what parts you need for the slipper. If you are going to run brushless, you need to upgrade the idler and planetary gear inside to metal. Might be cheaper to by a 272 from a newer vehicle, they are on ebay for around $30, some with the slipper already on it.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Competitor
    Motor and ESC are definitely not an issue, I have the best racing gear that was made....in the early 2000's.

RC Champion
    You will have clearance issues as well. Tires will rub when turning.

What ESC and motor do you have?

RC Competitor
    Tires will rub? The suspension parts all seem to be the same from what I can tell?

I have about a dozen different ESC's and a couple dozen motors. ESC's that I know I have are GM V12R, Novak Cyclone Rooster and Racer EX, Tekin G10, and LRP Quantum and IPC...... Most of my motors are Reedy Ti Teardowns and some Sonic 2 large commutator motors. I have the Novak Super Sport Brushless ESC/Motor Combo with both of the brushless motors they offered back in the day, I think they were 4300 and 5800 models, The slower of these are what I plan to put in my stampede. Last time I ran it I had the Novak Rooster and a very vintage Kyosho Lemans 360 PT in it.

RC Champion
    Others that have tried said the tires rubbed while turning. I have seen some videos of 4x4 Stampedes with them though, so it must be possible with some mods.

I have the Novak SS5800. When I ran some larger Imex tires it was very difficult to get the gearing to where the motor/esc wouldn't heat up. The tires added such a strain.

RC Competitor
    This is not a 4x4 stampede, from what I can tell this model stampede http://traxxas.com/products/models/e.../36054stampede comes with the 2.8 tires (oops I ment 2.8 not 3.8 tires) and the suspension is the same as my model.

I am wondering if the only thing I need to fit the 2.8s are the wheel hexes. Sorry about the confusion, I ment the tires the new stampedes come with.

RC Champion
    Oh. 2.8 is a whole 'nother world from 3.8. Yes, 2.8" will fit no problems. You need the offset hex adapters from a newer truck-a couple of dollars and you are good to go. I would uprade your servo if you don't already have a good one.

RC Competitor
    Man, trying to decide between the proline badlands and trencher tires, any other brand tires besides traxxas, proline, and imex made for the 2.8 inch rim?

RC Champion
    Not that will fit the traxxas wheel. Try the Masher. Really good tire. Make sure it's for the traxxas bead.