RC Competitor

Breaking my RC cherry

Never been into RCing as sports have consumed my life. My 2 yr old has a little remote control car and I was playing with it friday. As you read this post, you can guess what happened next. Daddy got bit by a bug and ran with it. Was looking and looking and talked with some guys on my car forum(LS2.com) and a friend here locally.

Ive come to the conclusion that im buying a stampede xl-5. I have a RTR truck in my cart along with a traxxas 4A charger. I want an extra battery but have no clue what to get other then what come with it.

I was looking at http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is this a decent battery?
    Is there another one I should look into.

Im sure I will get further involved when I get my feet wet. Just making sure that I like it(Which I will, just have to please the wifey)
    Last edited by Cassperr; 02-16-2014 at 04:11 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The link you listed for the 8.4v Racer's Edge battery, seems to be decent, assuming that all the cells are matched? Since it's a new battery, you're going to have to cycle it several times, before using it, before it reaches it's full charge capacity and performance capability.

Did you ever consider switching over to Lipos? You'd get better performance and they tend to last longer. You'll obviously need a lipo charger, but there's a huge selection on ebay. I assume your XL-5 is the newer version, with LVD (low voltage detection), which you'll need to run lipos. Plus, if you ever upgrade to brushless, your set. As far as lipos, you can never go wrong with SPC. By far, the best bang for your buck. Very dependable and the prices can't be beat. Plus, the capacities on their packs aren't exaggerated like alot of the other lipo packs you'll find on ebay or Amazon. Here's a link to SPC Lipos, if you ever plan on making the switch. You definitely can't go wrong with SPC.

http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....tegory&path=59
    Last edited by quantumreality; 02-16-2014 at 05:01 AM.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Competitor
    eventually I want to. Just wanting to some driving time under my belt before I went that route.

Cycle batteries? Explain..

RC Champion
    Welcome to the addiction case if i was u i would spring for the vxl pede right off the bat, u will thank me later

RC Qualifier
    Since they're new, to cycle your batteries, discharge them down to 0.9v per cell, or 6.3v pack (7 cells), then charge them back up @ 3 amps so they're fully charged, they should be warm to hot, to the touch. If the battery isn't getting hot when charged, than the cell(s) are bad, but the battery is new, so that shouldn't be a problem. Or you can also fast peak charge the packs, after discharging the pack 2-3 cycles. You should see the mAh capacity go up each time, and level off after 3 cycles, sometimes after 2 cycles. Then your pack will be at full capacity. IMHO, I'd suggest to always discharge your pack to 0.9v per cell, when your finished using them, as you store them, because when you go to charge the pack back up to use, at least the cells will be balanced.
    Last edited by quantumreality; 02-16-2014 at 05:55 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with rat above. If you can spring for the vxl pede, do it. I've spent way more on my xl-5 pede bringing it up to vxl specs than if I had just bought the vxl outright. It's a much better deal.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NefariousRich View Post
    I agree with rat above. If you can spring for the vxl pede, do it. I've spent way more on my xl-5 pede bringing it up to vxl specs than if I had just bought the vxl outright. It's a much better deal.
    +1. I have spent far more than if I just went with the VXL in the first place. And eventually you will feel as though you want more from the XL-5 and decide to upgrade to the better VXL components. Get the VXL and spend money on real upgrades. You will save money in the long run
    Kid at heart......and always playin around

RC Racer
    same here I got the xl5 first and now it has everything the vxl has (and much much more! )
    Started XL-5 now VXL-XL! and spare parts XL-5

RC Champion
    welcome to the forums,
    Definitely getting the VXL would have been wiser and more economic, how ever starting from the XL5 is just awesome, now I know the inside and out of this little guy , that i can concentrate on other configuration, ides or anything for that matter to add to the pede, it is great to get a full hand knowledge of it and plus the forum members are definitely very help full.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    Welcome, so I assume you must own an LS powered car? Show some pics? You can see mine here
    Regards,
    Todd
    5806 Raptor, 67054 Stampede

One option is to buy a nice used truck off the Market Place on this forum. Buy from someone who has been around for a while.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Lipo?
    eventually I want to.
    STOP! and buy a lipo capable charger from the start. Even if you stick with everything else in your 1st post. If you are sure you will eventually go lipo, there is absolutely no need to buy 2 chargers in the end because that lipo charger will also charge your nimh packs.

There is nothing wrong with buying an xl5 pede to save your initial outlay of cash and upgrading it at a later time if you want to. It will however cost more in the end, and you can get about this same performance from the vxl in training mode.
    I wanted to go back to my roots where I started, and last year picked up a used xl5 pede off of ebay. It cost me around a total of 250$ to add a couple hop ups, and the equivalent of a low cost lipo and charger and had an almost bulletproof truck that was ready for brushless. Heres how much fun you can have with a brushed xl5 with stock electronics:

Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Here is the difference that brushless and a few hop ups make. Check out the brushless acceleration @ 1:15:

RC Competitor

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassperr View Post
    Yes. I own 2 of these and they rock! Ive returned 2 knock off's off of ebay cause they fail within 1 or 2 months. I use the traxxas everyday, and has never failed.

Word of advice and get 2s lipo's, I purchased 2 vicious teknology and they are beasts. for $32 bucks each.

i was using Racers edge and traxxas NIHM 8.4v 5000mah and they were fine until i rode on the Lipo train. Man what a difference. The nihm's have a nice punch right off the charger but they lose voltage within a minute or two, where as lipo they mantain its voltage through until the Low Voltage Detector shuts it off.
    Last edited by 1SlowTRX; 02-17-2014 at 12:35 PM.

That charger will be perfect. If and when you go to lipo, check out spc. These are great packs at a great price:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=57
    or for longer runs:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=62

... where as lipo they mantain its voltage through until the Low Voltage Detector shuts it off.
    Lipo does not magically keep a constant voltage till the end. A 2s lipo will drop off about 1.5 volts during a full discharge. The voltage drops off during discharge just like any other battery. The difference with lipo is that it does not drop off nearly as much or as quickly, and it holds a higher voltage under heavy loads... especially at the end of the cycle.

IMHO, I'd suggest to always discharge your pack to 0.9v per cell
    Do not do this with nimh packs. They tend to lose their voltage pretty quick during storage, and could be damaged. If 1 cell is weak, and discharges faster than the others, that cell may never come back when you recharge...

I have had this happen to me and I lost a pack following that same advice. Charge them fully before putting them away, and re-peak them every 2 weeks at least.
    Last edited by rag6; 02-17-2014 at 12:55 PM.

RC Competitor
    Only reason I didn't jump on the lipo train at first because it seems confusing.

Still not totally sure about them.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by moretoyz4me View Post
    Welcome, so I assume you must own an LS powered car? Show some pics? You can see mine here
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=02b0b699f2

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    That charger will be perfect. If and when you go to lipo, check out spc. These are great packs at a great price:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=57
    or for longer runs:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=62

Lipo does not magically keep a constant voltage till the end. A 2s lipo will drop off about 1.5 volts during a full discharge. The voltage drops off during discharge just like any other battery. The difference with lipo is that it does not drop off nearly as much or as quickly, and it holds a higher voltage under heavy loads... especially at the end of the cycle.
    That's what I meant Lol.

Sent from my neXus⁴ using tapatalk 2
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

RC Qualifier
    +2 SPC lipos.

Hey Cassperr, the Traxxas lipo charger P/N 2933, is a great charger. I definitely would recommend it, IMO.

RC poster
    I have an ez peak plus. I love it. Charge 2 batteries at once plus lipo.
    Last edited by freeman2186; 02-18-2014 at 02:52 AM.

RC Racer
    Sweet, so you hang on ls1.com, ls1tech.com, etc...if so you should know this car...?
    Regards,
    Todd
    5806 Raptor, 67054 Stampede

RC Competitor
    Mainly BNG on LS2, Only time I goto Tech is for parts.