RC Competitor

Another LaTrax member

Just picked one of these up and I already have the mod bug itching me. From just reading a few threads it's seems like most members are way ahead of me.

So just like anyone we want better stability for a faster car. I'm trying to put a list of upgrades together to help best. This is what I got so far:
    -finding the right battery/charger
    -upgrading shocks
    -upgrading axles
    -upgrade to ball bearing

My question is what is best battery and where I the best place to get better connectors for it?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalizer View Post
    Just picked one of these up and I already have the mod bug itching me. From just reading a few threads it's seems like most members are way ahead of me.

So just like anyone we want better stability for a faster car. I'm trying to put a list of upgrades together to help best. This is what I got so far:
    -finding the right battery/charger
    -upgrading shocks
    -upgrading axles
    -upgrade to ball bearing

My question is what is best battery and where I the best place to get better connectors for it?
    I use the SPC 2500mah. I installed them on their side edge as to not rub the center shaft, There is an earlier thread on it. Took Wolfs advice and bought all the bearings from AVID and installed those in the axle carriers (also earlier thread). have not done the diff bearings yet. You can look at the parts list and get the same size bearings as the bushings supplied by Traxxas. Made a huge difference. Traxxas has alum drive shafts that you can install when you replace the axle bushings. Haven't got around to the shocks yet.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Competitor

Another LaTrax member

Very nice already ordered with traxxas connectors. Went to order more connectors (on amazon)but it seems there are different ones. Not sure which to order.

Where can I find those avid ball bearings. I'm looking to find a good online hobby shop to get everything from.

Very nice already ordered with traxxas connectors. Went to order more connectors (on amazon)but it seems there are different ones. Not sure which to order.

Where can I find those avid ball bearings. I'm looking to find a good online hobby shop to get everything from.
    They don't sell Avid bearings in hobby shops. You can only find them on their website. Depending on what your planning, you need a male end Traxxas connector for the ESC, and a female end Traxxas connector for the battery if you want. Hope this helps!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    I have AVID bearings on the way, along with SPC lipo 2s battery and axles.

Waiting on these Teton parts to come out to get the steel diffs.

What's a good motor to upgrade to?

RC Competitor
    Tried making a video with my GoPro and managed to slightly tear the car up.

RC Competitor
    This may be a noob questions but what is the best lubricant in these diffs? Thought about gluing my diffs up to lock them and putting some gear fluid in there.

RC Racer
    I am using stock diffs and stock diff oil on a Castle Sidewinder Micro brushless setup on 2s Lipo with no problems after I installed bearings. At first I think the flex allowed by the bushings were causing me problems. Also the LaTrax Tenton has metal diffs that fit perfectly if you want to go that route.

RC Competitor
    I'm just waiting for the Tetons parts to come out. I'm seriously considering getting the same castle setup you have.

What about diff lube? Grease or oil?

RC Competitor
    Got the 2s lipo in from SPC and man it woke that little car up. Makes me want the brushless setup even more.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-21-2014 at 06:22 PM.

RC Champion
    get it man

RC Racer
    I'm just waiting for the Tetons parts to come out. I'm seriously considering getting the same castle setup you have.

What about diff lube? Grease or oil?
    I couldnt say since Ive done no experimentation. Just use the stock diff oil with success.

RC Competitor
    I'm ordering both spools, one way driveshaft and oil shocks. This car with more power has terrible under steer.

Guess I should brush up on my soldering skills and get this castle setup as well.

RC Competitor
    I managed to purchase a full brushless setup off eBay by accident. Didn't think my bid win but it did. Picked up all this for $80
    Castle Creations Sidewinder Micro Sport ESC x1 (BRAND NEW NEVER USED)
    Castle Creations Brushless Motor 8000kv x1 (USED)
    Xcelorin Brushless Electronic Speed Controller x1 (USED w/ Deans plug)

That motor seems to be a bit much but I guess I'll found out

RC Competitor
    Ok well one word I absolutely can't use to describe the car is ......stable.
    With the xcelorin speed control and 8000kv motor I seriously have to baby it.
    I installed the spool in the rear along with the one way driveshaft.
    I can cruise handle pretty well at 60% throttle but as soon as i go WOT all traction is lost along with control.
    I have a 5400kv on the way with a motor fan so hopefully that will help.
    BTW this setup also gives my a nice "click" sound whenever I mash the gas.

RC Racer
    siiick! pics or it didn't happen

RC Competitor

Putting it back together here....

Right after rolling it about 20 times....Velcro holding battery doesn't work well when rolling that fast.

RC Racer
    Very nice setup !

RC Competitor
    I'm thinking of epoxy welding my diffs cause I really want metal gears installed.

RC Racer
    After installing the Avid bearings I have a lot of luck with the stock diffs.... I am not sure I am running as much power as you I really don't know. I am running the Sidewinder Micro ESC with 0808 4 Pole Sensorless Brushless Motor 5300Kv on 7.4v 2s Lipo. BTW going to a 5400kv from a 8000kv will give you more torque thus increasing your traction problem I believe. Another thing to note if you use a Traxxas 7.4 2s it will fit in the original battery compartment like a glove.
    ERBE, MERV VXL, LaTrax Rally, & E Jato

RC Competitor
    Yea I have the SPC 2500 2s. I just have it Velcro to the chassis. Holds up pretty well except for WOT flips.

RC Competitor
    Well this one way driveshaft isn't working, just keeps spinning out. Snapped an axle during a fun run.

RC Competitor
    I've got bored of just going fast and spinning out. Since I mostly drive outside and at night thought add some lights.

RC Racer
    Well this one way driveshaft isn't working, just keeps spinning out. Snapped an axle during a fun run.
    You mean the spool? I also snapped my driveshaft locking my rear diff. Puts too much power on one wheel when the other is in the air

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I would think a high kv motor and locked diff would spell trouble. Get a castle link and you can tame the throttle curve, so it doesn't shock the drivelines so much.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10