RC Competitor

Maximuscr31's build/bash/climb/etc thread

Got my first "adult" RC vehicle. It is "used" very little but was a great deal. It is a 2013 Traxxas Summit. It came with 2 5000mah 2s 50C batteries and 2 Traxxas 2s-3s chargers. It was only ran 2-3x and the guy didn't enjoy it and wanted to stick with airplanes. I am psyched. I wanted green or blue but was not willing to pass it up for the price I got it for.
    It should be here on Saturday. Also I did not get the MMM combo.

Put in a order for some parts mainly to get a set of double orange springs for the rear to help stop the squatting. I ended up getting more because I have a 10.00 off 20.00 purchase on towerhobby coupon. This is what all I got. Some of it is just so I have it for later

RC Qualifier
    Looking good! i remenber when mine looked like that!Wonderful memories!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Competitor
    I am patiently waiting for fedex. Been glued to the window since 9am today. It is now 7:18pm EST and no truck yet. It still says out for delivery though.

Edit: Also picked a VDP kit for the struts and a extra tool set. Hoping to have all my parts in by Wednesday of this week.

RC Racer
    Just wondering, is your stuff sitting on top of a car cover, that fabric looks familiar...?
    Regards,
    Todd
    5806 Raptor, 67054 Stampede

RC Competitor
    Looks to be just a nylon mesh

Got to get a run in tonight. My 5 year old drove it around our living room in training mode. He had a blast setting up dinosaurs and running them over. Once he went to bed then me and the wife took it out. It was dark and wet from the rain this evening. It did alright. Took it over a few small jumps. Climbed into the flower beds. One of my dogs loves chasing it.

The biggest problem is what I have read about. The rear suspension is just too soft. I am changing the springs/fluid/vdp kit tomorrow for sure. The servos need adjustment and already need to replace a boot I ripped tonight. I got alot of extras I don't need yet just because of deals but the suspension stuff is one I figured I couldn't handle. My wife flipped it about 20 times trying to back up and stop. Her throttle control isn't that great yet and that rear just compresses too easy. Overall it was fun and I threw it in the shower and scrubbed it down. Doing a detail tomorrow while it is apart then taking some new pics of it clean. She told me soon as we get paid we are going to get a bug body in hopes of it rolling over easier...lol. After it flipped on her 5 or 6 times she asked what was wrong. Then she was like "How soon can we order parts to make that better?".

RC Champion
    ya the rear end sage was fixed on my truck just by putting in the vdp kit and 80wt oil. and it feals so much better. jump a little higher and crawl the same
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    Put 60wt oil in the struts today, double orange springs in the back, added some preload and the traxxas vdp kit with #3 dampers. It really made a huge difference. Had alot of fun and the truck is alot more controllable. Also aligned the steering servos. Finally ran the pack to the point the lvc kicked in. On a side note I never want to do the struts again. Removed and rebuilt them all in 30 min. It took hours to get them lined back up. I have nearly 0 sag now.

RC Champion
    Hmm I must have done it way to many times. 45 min in out rebuilt and back in.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I couldn't get the struts to ever want to line up right. It was always off by .10 mm or something crazy. Just enough it wouldn't go. It was a huge pain. If I could have got the holes lines up I would have had it all done in 1 hour or less.

RC Competitor
    Broke my right rear axle. My kid accidentally hit 2nd with the tires locked at my moms. He ran under the pt cruiser parked out front. It compressed it fully between the car and gravel and snap goes the drive shaft. It didn't twist but broke on the diff side where the pin holds it. I really don't like the tqi's layout. I have big hands and have bumped it more than once.

RC Competitor
    Went to Bays Mountain Park/Animal Reserve and took the Summit on some trails, mud, and creeks. It floats pretty good. Wish I had thought to plug the wheels first but I was thinking about rock crawling, not water when I left.

RC Champion
    Cool.. brings me back to when I got mine and took it across the creek. All I could see is the lights..

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I found less throttle made it paddle faster. It was definitely fun. I am ordering a dewalt 14.4 for it next week and "possible" some mashers or some mud slingers for it.
    Last edited by Maximuscr31; 03-02-2014 at 11:10 AM.

RC Competitor
    Went ahead and ordered a few upgrades.

1)Dewalt 14.4v Motor
    2) Pro-Line Masher 3.8" All Terrain Tires Mounted Desperado Black
    3) Robinson Racing X-Hard 17T Black Steel 32P Pinion 5mm
    4) HPI Racing Flanged Locknut M5x8mm Silver (4) (to modify my factory adapters to get rid of the wheel wobble)
    5) Traxxas Brake Disc T-Maxx
    6) RPM Rear Bumper Mount Black Summit
    7) RPM Front Bumper Mount Black Summit
    8) Traxxas Toe Link Rod Ends Revo (4)
    9)Ordered 2 of these bad boys SMC 2s Factory Spec 7.4V 9400mAh 60C Deans

RC Qualifier
    Whats the brake disc for? The slipper clutch?
    Revo LRP 30x
    EMBE 6s
    ERBE 6s
    Summit 4s

RC Competitor
    Yeah. It makes a long lasting slipper for cheap.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximuscr31 View Post
    Went ahead and ordered a few upgrades.

1)Dewalt 14.4v Motor
    2) Pro-Line Masher 3.8" All Terrain Tires Mounted Desperado Black
    3) Robinson Racing X-Hard 17T Black Steel 32P Pinion 5mm
    4) HPI Racing Flanged Locknut M5x8mm Silver (4) (to modify my factory adapters to get rid of the wheel wobble)
    5) Traxxas Brake Disc T-Maxx
    6) RPM Rear Bumper Mount Black Summit
    7) RPM Front Bumper Mount Black Summit
    8) Traxxas Toe Link Rod Ends Revo (4)
    9)Ordered 2 of these bad boys SMC 2s Factory Spec 7.4V 9400mAh 60C Deans
    Could have also gotten rid of wheel wobble by putting a pc of shrink tube over the threads. Have had mine done this way for a year. tires on and off several times and still nice and tight

RC Competitor
    That is a good idea. I did get my SMC 9400 mah batteries in the mail today. All cells were 3.9 before charging. Hoping to play with them tomorrow when my deans connectors get here.

RC Competitor
    That is a good idea. I did get my SMC 9400 mah batteries in the mail today. All cells were 3.9 before charging. Hoping to play with them tomorrow when my deans connectors get here.
    The SMC 9400mah pack went over 2 hours the one day I got to drive it without issues. During that time it never went into LVD. Even 1.5 hours in the batteries had enough punch to do a wheel from a stop. I was hoping to get a full run on them today but it didn't happen.

Finally got around to installing my 17.00 D772 servo this morning.Had a few minutes of fun with the D772 servo installed with one of Bill Delong's 7.4v battery harnesses. It turned so much better when crawling and bashing. Before it was hard to move the tires when crawling over something. With the D772 at 7.4 it is awesome. The d772 is perfect for the summit but for a buggy or something else I would go d771 for the faster reaction. After about 15 minutes of jumping and crawling I found a cool stump with some brush. I was jumping it and doing jumps off a tree when the truck landed in some brush. I tried to drive out and it didn't move or make a noise. Went and got it, took off the top hit the throttle and it barely turned the gear then stopped. The 775 was toast and smoking. Thankfully I had ordered my dewalt a few weeks ago. It should be here Wednesday so only 2 days downtime.

RC Competitor
    Got the dewalt in and all I can say is WOW. It is smooth, quieter, and definitely faster. I am running a 17/65 setup and it still has gobs of torque. I replaced the crappy stock slipper pads with a tmaxx brake pad while I was at it. Got about a hour on it and broke a arm at the local playground. Got a new RPM blue replacement on the way. Hopefully it won't take long to get here and I can fully drain these packs. The 9400mah batteries take about 2-3 hours to drain on the 775. Hopefully they will be about the same on the Dewalt.

RC Racer
    Maximus, did you get the dewalt kit from kershaw designs?

RC Competitor
    No way. I simply took my 19.00 off brand dremel with a 1/8 drill bit and opened up the holes a little bit on the stock motor mount. Took about 6 minutes to get it right. Then I desoldered the old wires from the 775 and took the brushes out of the dewalt which just slide out. Then I soldered them together. It took longer to change out the slipper to the tmaxx brake disc than to change out the motor. It really is stupid easy to do. I would rate it at a 4 difficulty only because of soldering.

RC Racer
    Sounds simple enough. I'm gna practice soldering more and then hopefully I can do the same as you did. Thanks.

RC Competitor
    It isn't hard. Just make sure you have a chisel tip for your iron so it will heat it all up nice and evenly. The pencil tips don't hold enough heat and makes a mess. Other than that get a cheap sponge for 1.00 like a brillo pad type sponge and wet it and after every solder joint you do wipe it off then reapply a bit of solder to the tip. It keeps it clean and makes the job easy. It doesn't have to be perfect but a good sturdy connection is important.
    This is a good video showing you how to solder deans connectors. It is no different than soldering the brushes to the wires.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tEBQC-qNE0
    Last edited by Maximuscr31; 03-28-2014 at 10:59 PM.

RC Racer
    I agree with the chisel tip. Oh and I wish you didnt put a link to a vid, not that it didn't help but I ended up watching ten other vids!

RC Competitor
    I used a old soldering iron to repair the crack in the a arm, lol. Plastic welding made it hold for about 30 min around the yard. I just couldn't resist the dewalt. I got to say its way faster. My 775 with stock gearing would barely keep up with my dog, usually he could catch it. The Dewalt with 17/65 runs off and leaves him, I have to slow down to give him a chance. I was then crawling around when I heard some clicking/ticking more clearly and noticed an wheel wasn't pulling it hardly over the dirt clumps. Took it in, stripped it down and the front diffs spider gears are missing 4 teeth per gear. Looks like I will be buying either stock or Lem diff's for the front this week.

RC Competitor
    My rpm arms came in. Will be replacing the rest in the upcoming month probably.
    Also installed a LEM front diff cup and hardened gears to replace my chewed up front ones.
    Here is the truck as it sits right now with the Dewalt 14.4v, one pair of RPM arms in blue, and a d772 servo with Bill Delong's hv harness. Going to do a huge run tomorrow with it. I am hoping to maybe get some video even if it is just cell videos.
    Summit 1/10-14.4vDW, 17/65, SMC 9400mah,Lem diffs

RC Competitor
    This is by no means a great quality video. I only had the cell phone with me but we were at the local playground letting my boy play. There was nothing really wonderful to do there so we did donuts but you get the idea.I was filming while my wife drove.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT4cdFuv780

RC Racer
    Wow! Can definitely see the power increase!

RC Competitor
    The slipper was also a little loose there. Right after that we hit the concrete sidewalk and it stopped it in its tracks. It cracked the front driveshaft in half on the female end and stripped some teeth of the 65t spur. I had a extra front driveshaft I never put in so I changed it, changed the spur, and then tighted the slipper up more. It definitely is quieter now.

RC Competitor
    Destroyed a front axle today. It had a rough day but the LEM front diff held great.

I will add destruction videos in a bit.
    Last edited by Maximuscr31; 04-11-2014 at 06:26 PM.

RC Champion
    [QUOTE=Maximuscr31;5691280]and then tighted the slipper up more. It definitely is quieter now.[/QUOTE

Destroyed a front axle today. It had a rough day but the LEM front diff held great.

I will add destruction videos in a bit.

Hmmmm famous last words. Tightened that slipper down good huh?
    I think I see a connection here.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    Nah. It will still slip by hand with me. I am just overly abusive