RC Racer
    hey all I know this is a dead thread which is sad but I have owned my villain for about 4 years now and am looking to build a jet villain what graupner will best fit me also I want to run brushless doesn't need to be insanely fast but would like it to be faster than stock thanks all timmy

nobody can help? really wanting to do build is there anyforums somone could pm me a link to?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-24-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: merge

Here's an old thread that lists the drive the builder used.

There really have not been very many jet Villain projects over the years, so I don't think you're going to find a ton of people with advice. Good luck, though!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-24-2014 at 07:34 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    It is sad this thread is dead. I really like my villain, yea could be faster but still fun. I too am interested in a brushless setup for mine but i think things get pretty costly due to the twin props and motors. If anyone out there has done a reasonably priced brushless setup id like to hear about it. I will do my part to revive this thread.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    Just did a little research on brushless watercooled motors and esc's. On ebay about the cheapest setup i could put together was $136 for 2 3300kv 540 size motors and 2 50 amp esc's. Plus then the cost of 2 water jackets if you dont have water cooling on your motors. Then what other stuff do ya have to buy to make it work? Hard to justify the cost as i only have like $140 in my villain (bought it used). As far as the jet idea, i think you might be on your own with that one... good luck.

RC Racer
    ive seen the jet ideas as brushless but i too would reather go dual bl just very pricey

RC Qualifier
    Yeah after reading the villain thread some it looks like its not a real great idea to go brushless on it. Lack of stability becomes quite an issue i think. Also it is pricey unless you want real cheap chinese components. I told myself if i get out to run it more than a handfull of times this summer that might warrant upgrading to villains big brother the spartan. Hard to justify $400 plus dollars on a boat i only run a couple of times a year.

RC Champion
    roscoeP, I ran a couple of Castle 5700's in mine for a short time, but the hull really doesn't like the speed. I had to build in trim tabs, upgrade the props and tubes as well.. Thankfully, I had most of the parts on hand so I wasn't into the boat too badly. I have since yanked out the brushless setup and went with a good set of 550 motors and hd esc from a ESavage. boat will go into the upper 20's and is still very stable.. The Brushless setup was certainly faster, but I was always thinking I will have to swim for the boat when it either flips or cartwheels. Looked cool with the boat flying out of the water, but there are better hulls for it. What I have seen with good success is a single high power brushless setup.. They seem to work better.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    roscoeP, I ran a couple of Castle 5700's in mine for a short time, but the hull really doesn't like the speed. I had to build in trim tabs, upgrade the props and tubes as well.. Thankfully, I had most of the parts on hand so I wasn't into the boat too badly. I have since yanked out the brushless setup and went with a good set of 550 motors and hd esc from a ESavage. boat will go into the upper 20's and is still very stable.. The Brushless setup was certainly faster, but I was always thinking I will have to swim for the boat when it either flips or cartwheels. Looked cool with the boat flying out of the water, but there are better hulls for it. What I have seen with good success is a single high power brushless setup.. They seem to work better.
    Thanks for the info. Maybe thats what ill do. Get some decent 550 motors and a speed control, hmmm speed control. I have the xl-10m and i dont think its wise to run 550's off that esc. Am i wrong about that? Esc has to have wires for 2 motors. Maybe ill see if i can find one of those hd esc's you are refering to. I guess if it came off an esavage its not water cooled. Does it run hot? I like how everything in my boat now runs nice and cool because of the water running thru everything. Id like to do any upgrade to my villain reasonably priced. I only have around $140 in the boat now. So spending more than like $75 to upgrade is gonna be hard for me to justify. Changing to one brushless motor sounds way to complicated to me. Im just lookin for a little more speed. I think when its time to go brushless it'll be a spartan.

I just had an idea. I wonder if anyone has tried running two titan 775's off of one evx-2. I have 1 775 from my summit just sittin. I think i can land an evx-2 for like $65 or so and another 775 for like $10. Puts me right around my limit. If you know cenracer1 whether this might work or am i thinkin too big here.

Scratch that idea. Did a little research and i think my boat would be on fire before too long if i tried that. Imm looking into the 550 option.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-02-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: merge

The XL-10M doesn't put out enough voltage to power most 550 motors (assuming you get 12 volt 550 motors like the Marine Titans). If you're looking for a good, reliable setup, I'd go with a marine EVX (so you have factory water cooling) and a pair of Marine Titans; it won't be the fastest setup in the world, but it will be reliable and fun.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the suggestion cooleocool, that was the way my research was heading, evx-m and 550's. I have a hard time justifying putting another $140 into it and not getting that much in return. I think ill take the $140 and put it into my spartan piggy bank. I appreciate the advice and reply though.

RC Champion
    Roscoep, My setup is essentially the same as the Traxxas 550 one, but the motors might be a tad faster, that's about it. I run water cooling to the motors, but not the esc. I have a small computer fan tucked on top of it that works very well. Surprisingly well considering the almost complete lack of air flow thru the boat. Not the most ideal setup in the world, but it works well and I don't run the boat that often so extra money goes into my cars and trucks before the boats. I got this setup from a friend who changed his Esavage to brushless and I couldn't say no to the price.

RC Qualifier
    Roscoep, My setup is essentially the same as the Traxxas 550 one, but the motors might be a tad faster, that's about it. I run water cooling to the motors, but not the esc. I have a small computer fan tucked on top of it that works very well. Surprisingly well considering the almost complete lack of air flow thru the boat. Not the most ideal setup in the world, but it works well and I don't run the boat that often so extra money goes into my cars and trucks before the boats. I got this setup from a friend who changed his Esavage to brushless and I couldn't say no to the price.
    Im surprised you can get much of any airflow into that thing at all. You do this with both lids latched? Air induction? I here ya with the trucks, i got 3 and the boat does tend to take a backseat when its an effort to get to appropriate water. Plus trucks gotta run fast and strong. Breaks have to be fixed and still get along good with the wife.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoeP View Post
    Im surprised you can get much of any airflow into that thing at all. You do this with both lids latched? Air induction? I here ya with the trucks, i got 3 and the boat does tend to take a backseat when its an effort to get to appropriate water. Plus trucks gotta run fast and strong. Breaks have to be fixed and still get along good with the wife.
    there are a few holes cut in the lid of the boat on the headrest for the seats that force some air into the boat and I have some small cut outs in the rear of the lid to aid in cooling, but the fan and water cooling of the motors does the rest. As far as other vehicles.. I have too many (or just enough) depending on who you ask... And yes the wife is not thrilled.

RC Qualifier
    So who's makin upgraded props for the villain these days? Still only the made to order offshore electrics? Maybe that's something i could do to get some more speed.

They do appear to still sell a kit for the Villain (aluminum now vs. CF), but you can always go with Octura props.

RC Champion
    I have the CF ones from OffShore, didn't realize that they went to aluminum. Love them and even with a stock system, they are much better than the ones that came on the boat.. Just stay away from rocks and sand.. they are not cheap and not easily replaceable.

Just stay away from rocks and sand.. they are not cheap and not easily replaceable.
    That is why I prefer the factory props. Sure, the plastic props flex a bit and don't perform as well, but they're cheap to replace!

RC Racer
    how could i run a single brushless motor like lousfastrc.com he did it saw it years ago and it just rips id like to do the conversion but need some help on it anybody got the plans for it? thanks timmy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    That is why I prefer the factory props. Sure, the plastic props flex a bit and don't perform as well, but they're cheap to replace!
    True.. But I run on a couple of lakes that as long as you don't run up on the shore, the lakes are very deep and so far free from debris in the water so I haven't had any issues with prop strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy t-maxx View Post
    how could i run a single brushless motor like lousfastrc.com he did it saw it years ago and it just rips id like to do the conversion but need some help on it anybody got the plans for it? thanks timmy.
    That was a pretty intense build, and it required a complete redesign of the rear end, interior, etc. Personally, I wouldn't go that route. I'm all for modifying things, but there's a reason why that setup has not been used very often.

True.. But I run on a couple of lakes that as long as you don't run up on the shore, the lakes are very deep and so far free from debris in the water so I haven't had any issues with prop strikes.
    I've caused more damage to props out of the water than in the water, but it is rare.

RC Racer
    well what would get me to 35- 40 mph? want to use octua props tired of striping the gears when i hit waves havent ran it in about five years because of that reason also boat has yellowed how can i get it back to white?

Quote Originally Posted by timmy t-maxx View Post
    well what would get me to 35- 40 mph?
    The Villain hull was not designed for those speeds. Making it go that fast would only lead to you having a poorly handling boat.

tired of striping the gears when i hit waves
    Make sure you're setting the gear mesh correctly. I don't think that I have ever actually stripped a drive gear (I have had one break, but it didn't strip), and I have spent A LOT of time driving Villains.

also boat has yellowed how can i get it back to white?
    Your best option will be to paint it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    The Villain hull was not designed for those speeds. Making it go that fast would only lead to you having a poorly handling boat.

Make sure you're setting the gear mesh correctly. I don't think that I have ever actually stripped a drive gear (I have had one break, but it didn't strip), and I have spent A LOT of time driving Villains.

Your best option will be to paint it.
    Painting is always the best option for the fading plastic. I've done mine several times over the years and the paint holds up well. Use automotive paint with a primer for best results. R/C paint doesn't work well for the outside of the boats.

I've never stripped a gear, not sure other than mesh how you could and I've run some pretty powerful motors in there.

As for the hull... as cooleocool said, its not designed for high speeds. 30's is about it and that's pretty fast for the boat. I ran a twin brushless on 3S and the boat was skipping all over the place and never really got it to settle down. Took them out and ran good 550's and great props. 30mph still and very stable.. I was only into the low 40's with the brushless setup and not fun at all to drive. Always one twitch away from flipping.

RC Qualifier
    Uhh ohh cenracer you say rc paint isnt good for outside of villain. I did mine to match my summit with tamiya copper. I hope it sticks for a while. I scrubbed it good before painting with soap n water. For as much as it sees the water it should last a good long time. Still savin my pennies for a spartan.

Some folks have had good luck with rattle can paints, too. So long as you use a paint that is compatible with the ABS hull and you properly prep the hull for paint, it should hold up fine. I do agree with cenraacer1, though; using an automotive paint system would be the best way to go.

RC Qualifier
    Im hoping for the best. I did scrub it really good before paint. Took 2 rattle cans and that was barely enough
    [IMG][/IMG]