Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OriginalUsername View Post
    also saw that in NOSTOPIN's new video that one of his friends did an SC8 cage too. They really are a great match.
    The one in his videos is my buddy's rig, and he actually built that one from scratch! (Well I know he used a photo to go off of)

I should also mention these photos are from when he 1st made it, lots of changes and abuse since then and still holding up great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fatskie; 02-21-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add more info

RC Qualifier
    Added a couple more scale items to the Rock Racer today.

Installed a couple shackles up front on the bumper and also mounted a scale tow strap.

RC Enthusiast
    So glad I stumbled on this thread. Been wanting a new look for my summit for quite some time now, and now I found it! Ordered one and should have it in my mailbox on Friday. So excited haha. By chance do you know the gauge of the metal you used? I have some spare galvanized laying around form another project, I think it was 28 gauge. I'm sure it'll work, just curious what you used.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    That's the best looking Summit I have seen! Who'd have thought SC8 and Wraith parts would find their way onto a Summit? Pretty cool, man!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonnashi View Post
    So glad I stumbled on this thread. Been wanting a new look for my summit for quite some time now, and now I found it! Ordered one and should have it in my mailbox on Friday. So excited haha. By chance do you know the gauge of the metal you used? I have some spare galvanized laying around form another project, I think it was 28 gauge. I'm sure it'll work, just curious what you used.
    Glad you like the look of the SC8 cage on the Summit. I think they are a perfect match! Please post some pictures up when you get yours put together and mounted! Would love to see your take on the cage look.

I was trying to remember what gage of steel I used and my mind is going blank. Thought I may have kept the label but I didn't. Sorry. I can tell you I bought 2 different kinds and I got them both at Home Depot.

The shiny side panels that you see in my above photos are galvanized steel sheets about 8"x12" (guessing). I measured the thickness for you with my cheap digital caliper and they are .4mm thick. I used galvanized on panels I didn't paint so they would resist rust. Here is a picture of the label on the galvanized sheet I used. Maybe this part number will help you at Home Depot. I found these sheets in the roofing aisle with the gutter materials.

The panels you see painted were made with 12"x18" plain steel sheets. Can't remember the gage but they measured at about 0.6mm thick. I found them at Home Depot in a cubby where they sell all their sheet metals and angle pieces and rebar. I needed plain steel because the Rustoleum paint I was using said it wouldn't adhere to galvanized or zinc plated steel. I also liked having the slightly thicker steel on the top facing panels so it would be a little stronger and more resistant to roll overs. They have worked great so far.

Sorry again I couldn't remember the gage. Hope the above helps? And looking forward to seeing your cage mounted up!! Let me know if you have any other questions I will try my best to help.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    That's the best looking Summit I have seen! Who'd have thought SC8 and Wraith parts would find their way onto a Summit? Pretty cool, man!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter

Thanks MAXXXMASHER for the kind words! I really appreciate it. Means a lot. Yeah I was really excited when I test fit the Wraith interior and it fit up into the cab area almost like it was made for it. I am really happy with the extra scale touch the interior and driver provide.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome, I'll be sure to provide some pictures as I progress. It seems I have sheeting the same size as your thinner stuff. Not too terribly worried about roll overs and such, at least not expecting too many nor at high speeds. I took out the brushless setup I had in it, as fun as it was, and I am returning it to it's former brushed glory using a Dewalt. Just unglued my Canyon AT's, going to cut the foam and add some weights possibly either on them or on the hubs for a lower CG. Now that I have a different RC to go fast, the summit is being tailored be my crawler/fpv rig.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome, I'll be sure to provide some pictures as I progress. It seems I have sheeting the same size as your thinner stuff. Not too terribly worried about roll overs and such, at least not expecting too many nor at high speeds. I took out the brushless setup I had in it, as fun as it was, and I am returning it to it's former brushed glory using a Dewalt. Just unglued my Canyon AT's, going to cut the foam and add some weights possibly either on them or on the hubs for a lower CG. Now that I have a different RC to go fast, the summit is being tailored be my crawler/fpv rig.
    Yeah I think you will be fine on the grade of steel you have. Mine is very thing and it has been holding up well in roll overs. The SC8 cage has some nice cross bracing that backs up the panels and gives them some additional support.

I can't see the photos. Am I the only one?

RC Enthusiast
    It sure seems that way with the supports. Have you run into many issues from using the Zip Ties for the body panels? And instead of buying the mud guards/splash guard up front I'll be hopefully bending those up out of the same metal as well.

I can't see his photos either.

RC Qualifier
    It sure seems that way with the supports. Have you run into many issues from using the Zip Ties for the body panels? And instead of buying the mud guards/splash guard up front I'll be hopefully bending those up out of the same metal as well.

I can't see his photos either.

Zip ties for the panels? No problems so far! They have been super cheap and super effective. If you place them right they literally hold in the panels so tight that they will not move. Love the way they have worked so far.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product. I like your idea of using the thin sheet metal to make your own splash guards. I took the easy way out and bought the SC8 plastic splash guards, but interested to see how yours come out. Someone had the idea earlier on this thread of making wheel wells out of sheet metal to make the front and rear wider. I just may try that this Summer when I get done with my Pede and Slash 4x4 builds.

RC Enthusiast
    Heh I don't blame you for buying those, I am seriously contemplating getting them also but I have a ton of spare sheet metal and I may as well try and make it since I don't have to pay for the scraps I already have. I had also seen the idea of wheel wells out of metal but for now I don't think I will attempt that. I'm not the best at making things pretty and the simpler I can keep this, the better haha. I'm even wondering how nice a job I'll do with this sheeting as is. Going to try and make 1 or 2 panels at most a night, more than that and I fear I'll fall into my 'Just get it done, doesn't matter how it looks or if you cut a few corners" mindset as my patience dwindles.

RC Competitor
    Sac town, great build, it projects lie these that keep the hobby interesting and fresh.

Keep the updates coming
    Summit, Slash 4x4 Platinum, Revo 3.3, T-MaxxPro-15

RC poster
    again

RC poster
    Last edited by hoeppi; 03-11-2014 at 11:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by prostock12 View Post
    Sac town, great build, it projects lie these that keep the hobby interesting and fresh.

Keep the updates coming
    Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it.

I definitely will keep the updates flowing. Just picked up a new camera and hoping to take some more videos as well.

RC Qualifier
    Hey that looks awesome!! Love your take on the SC8 cage. Man you slammed that thing. Love that. How did you get it to sit that low?? Also looks like you bent the front up? Did you make your own strut in the front to do that. Would love some more details. Terrific job looks low and mean

RC Qualifier
    this. is. an. awesome. thread!

you know, for the 1:1 look, you could have went with aluminum trim coil. it would bend and dent a bit easier for the more scale rock racer look... I have been to more rock craw evens than I can count and most of the rigs are all dented and banged up.
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Enthusiast
    That looks awesome hoeppi, I really like how the metal piece on top comes down a bit in the center as well as how the bars are exposed on the side panels. Did you heat up the front part and bend it down slightly as well? Did you use small pushrods to get the front angle like that, or did you cut the existing brace, slide a metal sleeve over it and secure it down? Also looks like you didn't have to cut the rear mounting holes at all for fitment, what did you wind up doing there?

RC poster
    I sleeved the hood braces 5mm longer after cutting them and bend the tip of the hood down with a little heat.
    The rear mounting holes are a little ovalized to the center with a dremel.

RC Enthusiast
    I'll have to look into sleeving those braces and bending the front down, I really like how it changes the way the whole thing looks and sits on the summit. I'll have to rethink how I put some of the other things I wanted now, but I think this is going to be how I do it now. Wish my sheet metal had a nice texture like the stuff you used, it'll get some character with time though.

RC poster
    Sheet metal is leather texture aluminum (home depot 1'x2' $13)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hoeppi View Post
    again

Very nice...have you weighed this body compared with the stock? If I'm not mistaken the stock body weighs about 1lb.

Racing F4ver

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Probably about the same... mine was:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5662294
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Stock body : .99 lbs
    Mine : .90 lbs

RC Qualifier

Summit Rock Racer

I'll have to look into sleeving those braces and bending the front down, I really like how it changes the way the whole thing looks and sits on the summit. I'll have to rethink how I put some of the other things I wanted now, but I think this is going to be how I do it now. Wish my sheet metal had a nice texture like the stuff you used, it'll get some character with time though.
    If your going to paint your panels, you can get that textured look by painting them with Rustoleum Hammered paint. Gives it that really cool textured finish if your can't find that textured steel.

Last edited by Sactown_Summit; 03-12-2014 at 10:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    this. is. an. awesome. thread!

you know, for the 1:1 look, you could have went with aluminum trim coil. it would bend and dent a bit easier for the more scale rock racer look... I have been to more rock craw evens than I can count and most of the rigs are all dented and banged up.

You know that would be a great look. I was hoping to starting getting some dents and scars on my, but my steel panels seem to be holding up almost TOO well. :-). An the Rustoleum paint has been a real tough finish as well.

RC poster
    Man, I'm really diggin' the scale rock crawler look! Great job!
    "Same Dirt...Different Shirt."

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Owen View Post
    Man, I'm really diggin' the scale rock crawler look! Great job!
    Thanks for the kind comments. Really appreciate it. The body and panels have been holding up GREAT! Love the look so much I don't know if my stock body or Bronco body will ever get back on. Lol

RC Qualifier
    Just wanted to post up a quick long term update for the sc8 cage body on the Summit.

Body has taken a beating ALL summer and is still going strong!! Nothing has broke on the plastic bars that make up the cage, and I bash this truck not just crawl with it. My metal panels have taken a nice bearing but stayed true. I love their scratches dented look now. And the interior mount system has held up strong and true as well.

If your looking for a different body idea don't hesitate to go this way. Works great on the Summit!!