Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Summit Rock Racer

Wanted to post up some pictures of my project Summit Rock Racer.

First off I want to thank "OriginalUsername" for the idea of mounting this roll cage on the Summit. I saw on another forum where he took the roll cage for an SC8 and retro fit it to mount up to the Summit. He then used Gorilla Tape to make panels for the roll cage. I liked the look of the duct tape panels and almost did that myself but really wanted to have a more metal look to my cage, so I decided to use sheet metal and cut and mount my own panels.

I am REALLY happy with how the whole project came out. Bought galvanized sheet metal sections and cut it to fit on the places I wanted bare metal panels to be ( hoping the galvanized resists rust or at least it is supposed too). I used a slightly thicker gage plain sheet metal for the hood roof and rear panels as I figured they would take a bit more abuse on roll overs. Used tin snips to cut everything out. Sanded and filed the edges to make them smooth. Then drilled holes in strategic place to mount the panels to the roll cage via zip ties and screws. The black plastic panels you see are actually ones I purchased that act as dirt shields and are made specifically for the SC8 roll cage.

I used Rustoleum spray paints for the hood roof and rear. Used flat black for the roof, and their Hammered finish spray paint in Aged Bronze for the hood and rear to give it that dented look. I really love the Hammered finish. Figure through use it will get further dented and scratched and wind up showing through to bare metal which I hope will look cool as it gets trail scars through future use.

I then wanted a lot more light for night driving so I went for the biggest LED light bar I could afford. Went with the 1/10th scale Gear Head waterproof 6" LED light bar. It fits PERFECTLY on the roof and has about 20 bright separate LEDS. I had to make my own mounting bracket so I bought an angled aluminum piece and cut it out to fit. Sanded and filed to get a bracket that matched the angle of the mounting plate on the light bar. The light bar itself has a derlin housing so should be plenty strong to handle the occasional roll over, and it plugs right into an open channel on my stock TQI RX. I have my CC BEC running at 6 volts so it isn't getting too much juice, and it is crazy bright!! Pictures below don't do it justice how bright this thing is. I made the mistake of looking at it too long while taking photos and had a massive headache when I was done. In the picture below of the lit up room you can see how much light it puts out in a pitch dark room ( the stock 4 OEM LEDs are on as well). There was no flash used in that photo. Been happy with the light bar so far we will see how durable it is.

Lastly I wanted to try and go for that extra scale effect and put some sort of interior in the cage. I decided to buy a poison spyder interior off of eBay and try and make it fit. I was hoping the width would be close enough to the interior space of the SC8 cage and I got REALLY lucky. It fits just fine, and once I made some mounting holes and strung it on the inside with zip ties to the cage it stretched just perfectly across the inside if the cage! I had to trim some here and there to get the bottom and back to clear the Dewalt motor and the ESC but that was it. I also had to remount the dash board because of the front window cage cross members but think it came out good. I then enclosed the back of the dash and made a dashboard out of gorilla tape to give it a finished look. Just love the extra finishing touch hat the interior gives and I hope it looks great when I do future trail videos. The driver was just an action figure I got from the local toystore. I think he is a bit small on scale but couldn't find anyone else that was as close to the right look as he was. He is a 7" tall action figure but he works good for now. Just mounted him up with double sided tape.

So that is a quick break down of what I did. This finishes out my Summit body collection and I have been wanting a tuber/cage/rock racer body to through on the Summit for a different feel. Can't wait to get it out on the trail to get some character dents and scratches, will be all part of the fun.

Below are some pics, sorry for the poor quality cell phone shots need to get a stand alone camera. Thanks for looking everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sactown_Summit; 02-11-2014 at 07:25 PM.

RC Qualifier

Summit Rock Racer

Here are the rest of the photos...

Last edited by Sactown_Summit; 02-11-2014 at 06:50 PM.

RC Champion
    Looks sweet man, good job
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

Looks awesome,great rig nice work.we need video ....lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    I'm speechless. That is AWESOME!! Nice job man.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Racer
    Yeah...looking more like those Southern boys Rockbouncers!

Racing F4ver

RC Racer
    That should have entered the "King of the Hammers" rock race!

Racing F4ver

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the nice comments. Really appreciate it.

Definitely going to be getting some video up as soon as I can. Just need to get some good weather and free time to line up at the same time. :-)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing F4ver View Post
    That should have entered the "King of the Hammers" rock race!

Racing F4ver
    Love watching video from the King of the Hammers event. That was definitely motivation for me in this build.

Now if I could only afford a full size 1:1 version of the Summit then I would be in business!

RC Racer
    That looks awsome! I have been toying with the idea of makeing one myself.
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Competitor
    that is a sweet looking summit. great job!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks again for the nice comments. I really appreciate the feedback.

If you have been wanting to try a cage on the Summit, give the SC8 roll cage a try. It's really affordable, very light when compared to making or buying a steel one, and all the reviews I have read say nothing but great things about its durability. Can't wait to test that out for myself.

I want to teach myself to braze this summer so I can take a stab at trying to make custom stinger style bumpers for the Summit to go along with my SC8 cage.

RC Racer
    WOW!

Oh that is beautiful!
    Don't believe everything you think!

RC Qualifier
    looks super nice.. I dig the light bar a lot. I'd lower the body though, seems way high. I run most of mine flush with bottom of the battery doors, lower cog.

RC Qualifier
    Very Cool. I'm sorry, I have to admit, I was admiring the green grass in the background. Almost forgot what it looks like.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Traxxas Employee
    Wow. I really like this truck, man. I'm not really into rock crawlers myself, but the way you put this one together makes it an exception. Really cool!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis de Gruchy View Post
    WOW!

Oh that is beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    looks super nice.. I dig the light bar a lot. I'd lower the body though, seems way high. I run most of mine flush with bottom of the battery doors, lower cog.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Very Cool. I'm sorry, I have to admit, I was admiring the green grass in the background. Almost forgot what it looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Shredder View Post
    Wow. I really like this truck, man. I'm not really into rock crawlers myself, but the way you put this one together makes it an exception. Really cool!
    Thanks for all the really nice comments......I truly appreciate it.

I really like the stance of the SC8 cage and how is naturally slopes down to the front a bit, makes its stance look a bit more racey to me. You are right, technically you can see a little more of the battery doors then I would like, but trust me the body is slammed as much as I can. The floor of the interior is already just barely touching the motor mount plate and I can't bring myself to cut up the floor of the interior yet just to drop the body a little bit more. The back part of the side of the body is covering up most of the battery door so it does create a nice seal there. Once I get the body scratched, muddy, and otherwise trail scarred I can then go ahead and do some additional surgery to the interior floor if I decide I want the body lower. Right now I love the stance and look of the whole package so it works for me at this point.

Yeah the green grass in the background is nice but actually we are in the middle of a drought here in Northern Ca until this past weekend when we finally got like 3" of rain! That is why the grass looks a little greener again it was happy to get the water. Now I need to get back up and throw the Summit back in the fresh snow!

RC Racer
    That is cool!

...but going to play heck getting home on that spare. ...lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kyles974 View Post
    That is cool!

...but going to play heck getting home on that spare. ...lol
    Lol. Yeah you have a great point there. I need to get run flat tires! :-)

RC Champion
    Remarkable build! Saw this last night on my phone when I went to bed and couldn't wait to post! Excellent work, should be very proud! =)

RC Racer
    Awesome; what wheels and tires?
    Regards,
    Todd
    5806 Raptor, 67054 Stampede

RC Qualifier
    This is really awesome. I want to do this to my summit
    Revo LRP 30x
    EMBE 6s
    ERBE 6s
    Summit 4s

RC Qualifier
    Looking awsome! But you should get rid of that tiny spare tire, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the truck. Just my opinion!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by krallopian View Post
    Remarkable build! Saw this last night on my phone when I went to bed and couldn't wait to post! Excellent work, should be very proud! =)

Quote Originally Posted by moretoyz4me View Post
    Awesome; what wheels and tires?
    Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    This is really awesome. I want to do this to my summit

Thanks again for the compliments. I really enjoyed working on this. Wanted to really bring home the crawler look on the Summit and this cage really helped me get the look I wanted.

The tires are the RC4WD Mudslingers 40 series. the wheels are the Pro-line F11 40 series wheels. They have been a great combo in a ton of different terrain for me.

Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    Looking awsome! But you should get rid of that tiny spare tire, it just doesn't fit with the rest of the truck. Just my opinion!
    And yes I agree, the spare tire is small, but a full 40 series tire looked way out of place all the way on the other end of the size spectrum (huge). It isn't a look for everyone but I like it. It adds that extra scale accessory which I like. A lot of the rock racers in the twin hammers series have spare tires on the rear on their rigs so that is why I added it on. Trying to make the Summit as scale as you can make a Summit with 40 series tires. :-)
    Last edited by Sactown_Summit; 02-17-2014 at 01:11 AM.

RC Racer
    I'm sure the tire was a tuff one. Heck I was impressed with a matching 5th tire....lol
    To small or to big.

But now that I looked threw the pics again....that hood is cool!
    I have never been a fan of hammered paint until now....lol

RC Qualifier

Summit Rock Racer

Quote Originally Posted by kyles974 View Post
    I'm sure the tire was a tuff one. Heck I was impressed with a matching 5th tire....lol
    To small or to big.

But now that I looked threw the pics again....that hood is cool!
    I have never been a fan of hammered paint until now....lol

Nice! I was wondering if someone would notice that the spare was a 1.9 Mudslinger. Great eyes!!

I wasn't sold on the Hammered finish as well till I sprayed some test pieces first. It came out awesome and knew I had to throw it on the final panels.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Looks awesome,great rig nice work.we need video ....lol

Sent using lipo power

As requested here is some video of the new rock racer cage in action:

RC Competitor
    Nice work, looks great!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nostopin View Post
    Nice work, looks great!
    Thanks...appreciate it!!

RC poster
    Looks great!!! You did a great job on those aluminum panels. Really cool that you added the interior and a driver

I know you've seen my SC8 rollcage Summit....but the pics are hidden in another thread somewhere. So here's some pics to add to this thread so others can see some different SC8 setups. ...i also saw that in NOSTOPIN's new video that one of his friends did an SC8 cage too. They really are a great match.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the nice comments, and especially thanks for the inspiration and the idea to try the SC8 cage in the first place! :-)

I drove the Rock Racer for its first hard bash yesterday and the cage, panels, and light bar held up BEAUTIFULLY for the abuse I dished out ( full speed flips - roll overs down steep grades while took climbing). No issues and came back asking for more.

RC Champion
    man i want one of those bodies now.. bad time to have no job..hehe

RC Champion
    ^ oh I know the feeling..

That's great that it held up so well. What is the SC8 cafe made out of? Is it just plastic?

RC Qualifier
    Yes. The cage itself is plastic. I comes delivered in sections, an just screws together with the provided hardware.

I really like that it's plastic. The plastic keeps it light, but it's still insanely strong as evidence by it handling the tumbling 15lbs weight of my Summit coming down on it over and over again.

RC Champion
    Yeah it's nice that its nice. I just wasn't sure if it was metal. I like the plastic also. I like the look of it a lot better then the stock cage. I like that its shorter. Have you thought of making little fender flares?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    Yeah it's nice that its nice. I just wasn't sure if it was metal. I like the plastic also. I like the look of it a lot better then the stock cage. I like that its shorter. Have you thought of making little fender flares?
    Fender flares is an interesting idea. Would love to see what one of these looks like with a set of flares. I left it completely open just because I was going for that twin hammer race vehicle look, but I'm sure with some more fabrication you could do it.

RC Champion
    Yeah Im just think some little ones like maybe 1/2 inch that just stick out a little bit. I get the look your going for and love it. You've done a great job. Maybe if I ever get the SC8 cage I'll give it a try.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    Yeah Im just think some little ones like maybe 1/2 inch that just stick out a little bit. I get the look your going for and love it. You've done a great job. Maybe if I ever get the SC8 cage I'll give it a try.
    Yeah I can see exactly what your describing. Almost if you extend a small metal or plastic piece over the wheels from where the metal panels end right now correct? That would look pretty slick I think!

RC Champion
    Yeah exactly. It would just help the body feel a little wider.

RC Competitor
    I really like the sc8 roll cage on the summit. I better buy one myself some day