RC Qualifier

just added the traxxas light kit to my sons mini summit.

Hey guys, I received the traxxas light kit for my son's 1/16 summit yesterday in the mail and was all stoked until I opened it up and saw so many wires for such a small truck. I was a little overwhelmed there for a second but this kit was a breeze and fit like a glove. I modified it a bit. the kit also brings a set of rear upper led but I didn't want to use them since I wanted to match the led setup that my 1/10 summit has.
    I also didn't like the power cable that it brought since it attaches to the existing esc power plug. I cut the wires and soldered them to the existing esc plug looks a lot cleaner in my opinion. I don't like seeing a mess of wires on a RC so I spent some time fishing the wires to my liking it took some time but came out very clean. here some pics I wanted to share with you guys.

here is what I mean by soldering the new power wire to the esc power plug
    [URL=http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nsousafx45/media/IMG_5992_zps9f2b8b1d.jpg.html][/URL

RC Qualifier
    ]
    big bro/ little bro

tons of light at night!

if anyone has questions about the install I'll gladly try to help.

RC Qualifier
    Nice, I need to get a set for my sons. He'd love it. Plus I could use it as his nightlight.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
    Nice, I need to get a set for my sons. He'd love it. Plus I could use it as his nightlight.
    they are awesome both cosmetically and functional. get a set you wont regret it. I got mine on ebay shipped to Canada for about 20bucks

RC Enthusiast
    Very nice set. I am using for almost a year the Axial set (no track lights though).
    XO-1, Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Ummm...... Ok.

I guess Ill not be using for nightlight. I didn't know how sensitive lipos were to over discharging. Guess I could use my NiMH.

RC Qualifier
    Ummm...... Ok.

I guess Ill not be using for nightlight. I didn't know how sensitive lipos were to over discharging. Guess I could use my NiMH.
    if your summit is brushless you should have the option to turn on/off lipo cutoff. esc should have solid red light if its off and solid green if its on.

I am not sure that will work... I don't know if the ESC monitors the low voltage side (the BEC) for LVD.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I am not sure that will work... I don't know if the ESC monitors the low voltage side (the BEC) for LVD.
    hey jimmie don't mind me asking but I don't understand.

so there could be a issue using the led with lipos?

There could be an issue leaving the RC on and not driving it, yes. There are two sides to the power system of an ESC... low voltage and high voltage. The low voltage (~6v) side powers the receiver and everything plugged into it. The high voltage (battery voltage) side powers the motor. I am not sure if the LVD reads the voltage right as the voltage comes into the ESC or somewhere else within the ESC... if it only monitors the high voltage side and the LED's are left on without running the RC LVD may never engage.

As a matter of fact...

Stage 1 LVD = 50% reduction in speed, receiver and everything else is still powered.
    Stage 2 LVD = 100% reduction in speed, receiver and everything else is still powered.

Going by that information, it is safe to assume that leaving on the RC will kill LiPo's as LVD will never engage.

RC Competitor
    Can't this be solved by plugging a $3 LiPo alarm into the balance plug of the battery? The battery doesn't know what is using up power, only that it's power is being used up. I would first would test out how long a fully charged battery lasts using only the lights to avoid the LiPo alarm going off at 3 am. If after testing, the LiPo battery lasts 10 hours, you should be in good shape. I like the alarm below as it displays the remaining voltage and the cutoff alarm is adjustable.

_
    Stampede 4x4 VXL; Slash 2wd VXL; MJ Grinder VXL

RC Competitor
    Or just get a cheap NiMH battery to use in the car when the car is only being used for the night lights.
    _
    Stampede 4x4 VXL; Slash 2wd VXL; MJ Grinder VXL

Yes it would.

RC Qualifier
    well I got lipos and the lights installed ill let you know if it works.

thanks jimmie

RC Enthusiast
    Ummm...... Ok.

I use the NiMhs for more than a year now, and no problem so far.
    XO-1, Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    so I did try using the mini summit today with lipos and it seemed to be fine. I found my run time to be a little a shorter but it might have been from playing a little hard on it. so far so good.

RC Enthusiast
    I will stick with the NiMh until they die and then I will see...
    XO-1, Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 12o'clockhigh View Post
    I will stick with the NiMh until they die and then I will see...
    Most of my batteries for the 1/16th's are nimh packs. The lipos pack to much punch for my son to enjoy it without flipping it over even in training mode its pretty quick.