RC poster

Rustler cooling fan question

I just installed the traxxas esc cooling fan on my rusty today and then realized something. My esc sits up high bc I have the battery expansion kit installed. My concern is that when I put the body on the car, the fan is almost touching the the body thus reducing the intake airflow of the cooling fan. Does anyone else have a similar set up? Should I cut out the top of the body or should I move the esc somewhere else?

Thanks guys!

RC Champion
    I have seen both. Some cut a perfect square directly above the fan then glue a piece of screen or mesh to stop debris from going into the fan.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Qualifier
    If u dont need the battery expansion i would just lower the esc. How ever i cut out the roof scoop on my stock rusty body and it worked awesome for cooling the esc surprising and it looks cool haha

Just my 2 cents

RC poster
    That's a great idea! For the mounting option, do people usually use screws or glue/tape for mounting the esc to the chassis?

RC Qualifier
    Dont use glue. If you can get parma servo tape i love that stuff but it sucks if u need to service it and take it off cause it sticks so well. Personally i like to use the stock mounting holes and take a piece of stainless wire. U ben it over the top of the esc and then make 2 loops around the screws and then tighten it all down. Make it snug so it doesnt bounce off but thats my personal favorite

Just my 2 cents

I just use the 3m brand double sided tape that's about 1/4 inch wide. That stuff is mean getting back off as well. You pretty much have to scrape under the ESC to pop it loose. Once you get it loose it rolls off pretty good but it holds it on whatever you are sticking it to pretty darn good. I've never had one come loose unless I made it come loose.

The key to using the double stick tape is clean the surfaces you are putting it on really well. I spray a little automotive brake cleaner on a rag and wipe both surfaces off before applying the tape.

RC Champion
    I use the clear Parma pro servo tape, holds excellent. And it comes off clean, no residue, or chunks of foam, etc. like other servo tape. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMRA9 Like carguy mentioned cleaning both surfaces is important. I just use a denatured alcohol.

If you choose to relocate to the chassis, you will have to remove the mounting tabs off the ESC. Also I had to use a extension wire for the ESC wire.
    Here's a couple pics of mine.

My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Qualifier
    I did away with the expansion kit risers and used some spare ball ends under the ESC plate. It only raises the ESC about half of the included risers, which was enough for my 3s battery & ESC Fan to fit and have enough clearance to mount my Bandit body. I think it might have even more room with a Rusty body.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    I use the clear Parma pro servo tape, holds excellent. And it comes off clean, no residue, or chunks of foam, etc. like other servo tape. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMRA9 Like carguy mentioned cleaning both surfaces is important. I just use a denatured alcohol.

If you choose to relocate to the chassis, you will have to remove the mounting tabs off the ESC. Also I had to use a extension wire for the ESC wire.
    Here's a couple pics of mine.

What mounting plate is that?
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    What mounting plate is that?
    It's just the stock vxl plate, That I applied "3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber vinyl" to. They use the stuff in alot of automotive applications, to "simulate" a carbon fiber look. Search youtube for some videos on it, stuff is actually pretty amazing to work with, kinda harder on smaller surfaces though.

HERES a thread of mine, when I transformed from my gray to black and I was wanting to go with a piece of carbon fiber for the plate after moving my esc. But I just settled on the Di-Noc. (at the end)

Theres also THIS link in the first post of that thread of when I moved the esc, and how I routed my wires and such on my original gray chassis.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Enthusiast
    You can also use velcro tape. I use velcro on all my batteries in my Crawlers. My Wraith has taken some serious high speed tumbles. Batteries dont move and they weigh 20x more than a little ESC. Ive used it on Receivers in a couple buggies too.
    The "industrial" stuff at Home Depot is seriously strong. You just have to buy a big roll of it. Has a lot of uses though.
    Revo Rustler 8ight B & T Kyosho Neo Wraith & XR10