Thread: Newb, kinda

RC Enthusiast

Newb, kinda

Hey guys, names david, use to be into rc's about 10 years, had an electric stampede and though I was the bomb at the local race track until all these guys showed up with moving dollies stacked with tool boxes for their cars and multiple chargers and battery's. Quickly realized I was out of my league and at the time it seemed like nitro was the way to go, bought a savage and an mgt and bashed on them for awhile then got out of it and got rid of them. Fast forward to now and several guys at my work have them so I started looking into them and it seems electrics have vastly improved so I did my research and found out the stampede is a great durable truck, don't want to mess with nitro and doubt I'll have time to race so thought a basher would be best and really don't care to lug around a 1/8th scale with several batteries or spend that much $$$ so I bought a stampede 4x4. Already bought a custom painted 66 f100 body and jp concept body lowering kit, plan on aluminum shock caps, dying the chassis, desperado wheels on trenchers or may dare to be different. Also looking at the proline protrac kit. Any opinions, suggestions are welcome and looking forward to gaining some knowledge and ideas from this forum, thanks

RC Champion
    Looks like a great starting list so far. I would recommend getting the Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter for the slipper. You will melt the plastic one eventually. I would suggest getting the Traxxas TiNi shafts for the Ultra shocks to make them more bulletproof. The KingHeadz aluminum motor mount is a great buy also. I makes the rear of the chassis more rigid and keeps the motor where it needs to be. Also, it has bigger bearings than stock and since its aluminum will help with heat dissipation. I have the Tekno big bone center driveshaft on mine and think that is a great buy also. You could also just upgrade when you break it. Good luck with the build and welcome back to the addiction. The P4de is an awesome truck!!!
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    Drive shafts. The first to go will be the rears. Mip and Tekno are the most popular.

Welcome to the forum. Great choice on your lastest RC purchace. You will find this thing takes a beating. And pretty easy to work on to once you do break some parts. (i.e. driveshafts)
    The message above or below may or may not be true

Welcome to the forum and addiction dude we will try are best to help you out with info.As the guys have said the driveshafts and the bearing adapter are things I would do first.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast

Got jconcepts lowering body mounts
    On way

RC Qualifier
    Honestly i would recommend tires as first upgrade. I use my stock talons for drift tires. I like the trenchers myself, but there is alot of options depending on what you drive on. The only other thing that wasnt mentioned is springs. I went up to Hot Racings blue linear rate springs to get a little stiffer for jumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the advice, I plan on getting trenchers

Dude the paint job is off the chain and the new Ford f100 body is my favorite but can't get it in the UK at the moment....peace

RC Champion
    That shell looks great! I'd be afraid to even run with it on. Seems like you are on the right track so far and did your research. I would recommend getting tekno rear drive shafts to save you the hassle. I have had both mips and teknos and prefer the teknos due to their lighter weight and better design. As long as you aren't running 3s lipo you should be fine with just upgraded rears as that's where more of the strain is applied. Then just upgrade as you break and enjoy the p4de!
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Strengthen the body with shoe goo and Dry wall tape here's the thread http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...d-drywall-tape

Sent from my stampede 4x4; with my teachers permission
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

And as the guys have said you can't go wrong with mips or teknos or traxxas steel cvdsI am a mip man myself because I like how beefy they are and they put a bit of weight low down on the truck which helps with handling.......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Ordered a few parts, aluminum shock caps, revo slipper assembly and trenchers on desperados, everyone will think I'm insane here but I don't think bashing will be my cup of tea and seem to be leaning towards getting a rustler vxl as I just bought my son an older rustler, I haven't ran this truck even once yet, don't even think I've put the battery in it, would anyone possibly be interested in just trading me a new rustler vxl for my new stampede 4x4? you'd be saving $75 bucks or so
    Stock vs stock

Why don't you convert it into a 4wd rustler and then you can try bashing later if it takes your fancy.....peace

RC Qualifier
    The stampede chassis has huge potential for racing. Just have to do a little work to it to get it set up for it. Check out what Jang from Ulimate RC did with it on youtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast

RC Qualifier
    Great looking F100. I too Just Painted one with pearl paints. Check Out my thread.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ansformed-P4de
    To add to the list of suggested upgrades.
    Get the Traxxas 6882X: Gear set, differential (output gears (2)/ spider gears (2)/ spider gear shaft, carrier support)
    I did this, the carrier supports are said to make the diff's bulletproof. I have had them installed for over a year. I have not had any issues with the diff's. I run 3s Lipo's and nothing less than.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

Me too the diff carrier supports are sick and have taken 3s abuse from my hobbywing and tenshock 3500kv 4pole combo for over 18 months......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Do I only need one or 2 for front and back?

Some people only do the back because that takes most of the torque but if you got the time and money do both just to make it more bulletproof.....peace

RC Qualifier
    st made sense to keep the front the same as the rear...
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Enthusiast
    Pretty funny story, haven't been to the local rc shop on awhile until today, saw the x-01 diff kit (6882x) so picked up 2 of them, saw the sway bar kit also so ended getting it to. Well they were really busy compared to the norm and I found myself wishing I had my stampede with since everyone had there's RCs so I headed home to get it. I've also had the part for the revo slipper mod laying around and since the local shop does installs for free I figured I'd go home, get all my parts and head back and use them installing it all as my excuse to bring my stampede up there. At first they were confused about the revo slipper mod and in the xo-1 diff change but once they started installing it all the figured it out and were very impressed, told me they never knew about any of those mods and now want to do them to their slash 4x4s. They insisted that I start coming their more often

Dude that's awesome I am glad we can all share good information and help each other out.....peace

RC Enthusiast
    Yup, also told them about dyeing the chassis