RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar

Revisiting trx cvds

Okay. I like the traxxas cvds for the most part.

However, if you do a lot of jumping, don't waste your money. I've been through 4 stub axles, one of which was an xo1 stub. They always break in the threaded section between the wheel and the wheel nut. I don't think you'll have an issue with breaking them due to power, but they bust the stubs if you jump and come down awkwardly on one tire.

I know I've posted about doing some crazy jumps with my hcg, but most of these were on my lcg, which I don't beat on like that.

I think I'm gonna try the x duties next and hope the stub axles are a better metal. Suprasales on eBay also sells an axle like the x duties I'm tempted to try.

The first one or two that broke I decided I'd just keep a spare on hand, but I didn't know I'd break one nearly every session. At6$ each that would get nearly as expensive as just running stock shafts.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    The question I have is on durability, can they take power? Say 4s and mamba monster with a little torque limit. Are they that durable? Its mainly the cold weather breaking my stubs and yokes, just curious.

Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    I probably dont go as nuts as you guys, but i havnt broken the stock shafts.. yet. Ive been bashing in sone pretty cold weather too, many below -20c.

I did weight each corner of my slash, and heres the weights ready too run:

LF 1LB 1.4 OUNCES
    RF 1LB 1.3 OUNCES
    LR 2LB 3.9 OUNCES
    RR 2LB 2.0 OUNCES

I can see why the left side would want to drop first. A little heavier then the right side.

My stubs breaking isn't due to the cold making it brittle. It has been anywhere from 30-60 degrees during my runs.

I have run one of my sets with a losi 2800 on 4s. Like I said, they were absolutely fine with the power until there would be some sort of awkward landing. Though I don't have any sort of long term experience. In years past, before becoming interested in jumps during my bashing sessions, I think they would have lasted me a long time. It's never even been from cartwheeling, which I do occasionally . It's always on a landing that's not quite right. I busted a stock plastic shaft on the threaded part of the stub once too.

I'm hoping with better luck from mips or suprasales shafts. I'll probably keep these for spares in my pit box or get new stubs again and put them up for sale in the marketplace.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DoppelGanger13 View Post
    I probably dont go as nuts as you guys, but i havnt broken the stock shafts.. yet. Ive been bashing in sone pretty cold weather too, many below -20c.

I did weight each corner of my slash, and heres the weights ready too run:

LF 1LB 1.4 OUNCES
    RF 1LB 1.3 OUNCES
    LR 2LB 3.9 OUNCES
    RR 2LB 2.0 OUNCES

I can see why the left side would want to drop first. A little heavier then the right side.
    Your Slash weighs 8 lbs?
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Competitor
    You said you broke the xo1 axles also. How did you have it setup. Did you convert the end stub to run your sc wheels or did you run them in 17mm form

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by badaml View Post
    Your Slash weighs 8 lbs?
    Adds up to about 6.5lbs.

I have been using mips for years on my stampede 4x4 on 3s and all I can say is bulletproof dude give them a try you will not regret it........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

You keep breaking them at the weak spot. Where the pin goes through the axle is the most common ppace to break an axle. Mip X-Duty's do not have a pin that goes through the axle. They are keyed so they are very strong! In all the time I have had Mip's I had only broken one of their old keyed axles. Their keyed axles have been perfect for me.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

Wow, that sucks! Have you called Traxxas? They could cover stuff like that.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I had XO-1 stub axles on my P4de and I have to say I cartwheel it a few times and landed awkward but nothing snap as you mentioned to yours. I have the 12mm aluminum adapter on 2.8 desperados wheels/ PL Trenchers. maybe the tires absorb all the heavy impact being its taller than the SC tires?
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    So these hold up to power fine? What if I'm running 17mm adapters? Work okay for street and some off road bashing?

Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You keep breaking them at the weak spot. Where the pin goes through the axle is the most common ppace to break an axle. Mip X-Duty's do not have a pin that goes through the axle. They are keyed so they are very strong! In all the time I have had Mip's I had only broken one of their old keyed axles. Their keyed axles have been perfect for me.
    No, I'm not breaking them where the roll pin goes. I broke the first one at the roll pin, yes, but the rest have been a few mm past the hole for the roll pin. It's been a few threads into the threaded tip where they break. Just enough thread breaks off along with the wheel nut to make it difficult to remove the nut from the busted axle tip.

Deserted, when I broke the xo1 shaft, it was with the xo1 shaft completely stock with the 6mm stub axle. I was using e-maxx 14mm hexes with 14mm 3.2 beadlocks and 2.8 badlands. It broke in the threads. The threaded section of the xo1 shafts is exactly the same diameter as the smaller slash stubs. They use the same wheel nut.

The problem for me seems to just be where the threads are. I got traxxas to replace the first stub axle under warranty. I don't feel right having them replace as many as I have broken. At some point I have to just acknowledge it is my fault, or that I'm pushing them harder than they were designed for.

Not that I've had gobs of running time in, but I really imagine they would hold power just fine. It's 20-30 foot jumps that snap mine.

Again, only one of them was the xo1 stub, the rest were the smaller slash axles. (That truck has been down, though, so it really hasn't gotten much run time on the xo1 stubs)

Tell you guys what, I'll continue running the xo1 stubs for a while and get some more experience in with them. I have two spare front stubs for them now. Maybe I can get some good videos of me destroying them
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 02-07-2014 at 06:21 PM.

It's 20-30 foot jumps that snap mine.
    Wow, that'll do it! Please tell me that's distance, not height?!?

Depending on which attempt you mean, both haha.

That's not typical, though. That is just when my brother and I get together with his 2wd and start trying to outdo each other .

This is what goes on in a more normal day. If I come down awkwardly on one corner a few times it seems to do break them.FWIW, I busted a stock shaft in the same manner too. In the threaded part of the stubby.

I've had an epiphany ...maybe. There is a common denominator among almost all my busted shafts. First busted shaft was with 12mm hexes and wheels with the 5mm stubs. BUT, I was using the wider grey hexes to make my stance a little wider.

Second busted stub was an xo1 unit and stock emaxx hexes. No wide hex there so I dunno. Fluke maybe?

Third busted hex was the smaller slash shafts while using my rustler aluminum 14mm hex adapter. This is a 14mm hex designed to work on a stock rusty with stock shafts. Being for a rusty two of the hexes are wider to offset the front of the rusty to match the rear. I can't remember if the stub I busted on this occasion was on one of the wheels with a wider hex. Maybe?

Fourth busted hex the other day was while again using wide gray 12mm from the front of a stock rusty.

I haven't thought about it until now, but anyone think the wider hexes could contribute to this problem? I don't wanna throw more money at 5$stubs, but now I wonder if I might be fine with thin stock hexes. The confusing part is that the first stub broke at the hole for the hex pin. All the rest have broken somewhere in the threaded section at the tip.

That would make perfect sense. I noticed with my 14mm Slayer hexes that when I mount the the wheel is its resting fully on the main part of the stub axle. Nothing is on the threaded part except for the wheel nut, meaning no chance of breaking it. Did you drill of the wheels to 6mm when your using the Xo-1 drive shafts?

Didn't have to while using the 3.2 beadlocks. Watch saying "no chance of breaking them lol. Remember I did break one xo shaft with a regular width hex!

For all I know that could have been the fluke though. I'm going to give a stock 5mm stub one more shot.

I think there is something to using the wider hexes causing my problems. I quit using the wide gray hexes and haven't had a problem since. I was busting a stub every run, or every other run. I have several in with stock black hexes with no issues. I think the wider hex puts the stress out on the threaded section, and the threads cut into the metal can be a point of fracture.

RC Competitor
    Maybe if you flattened out the top of that ramp. it doesn't look like you have a very good chance of landing on all 4 with the upright takeoff. Looks like a pretty cool area to run though!

I like the launch it gives me though lol! I got bored with jus bashing so I made myself a track of sorts.

It does seem to be up to me to level it out with throttle in the air. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I never can get it right when a camera comes out lol.