Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Racer
    Looking good! I miss my mini rally's.
    (2) Slash 4x4 HCG

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I took a few more snapshots. I added the last of the stickers and also mounted the exo-carbon wing. Not sure if I put it in the right spot, but it was the only location where it fit the contour of the car.

I also got in my Cirrus MG servo. I'll save it in case the Traxxas unit dies. Perfect fit.

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Racer
    Have you been drifting?
    (2) Slash 4x4 HCG

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    No drifting yet. Something is wrong with the rear diff. If I apply anything more than a touch of throttle there's no hook up from the rear wheels. If I hit it in reverse, they hook up great. I have a complete diff assembly that will be here tomorrow, once I have that in hand, I'll tear it back apart to see what is wrong. The motor I have been using (an old worn out backup) is also on it's last legs. My new Reedy Radon 17T 540 motor will be here tomorrow also. Should get some wrench time this weekend.....

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter

RC Champion
    Got my motor in a little earlier than expected. Came in the mail today. I just finished soldering some old NiCad cells together, and in the morning I'm going to break in the motor using the water method and running 3.6 volts to it. I have never done this before, but supposedly it is the way to go. Hopefully, I'll have my diff tomorrow, and I can finally get this car running correctly!

RC Champion
    I got my motor broken in. Didn't go with the water method after all. Seems a lot of debate about whether this is a good idea or not. I just ran the motor for about fifteen minutes at 3.6 volts and then sprayed it out with power shot and relubed the bearings. I also got my new diff in the mail and found some time to tear the rear end off the car. The diff wasn't the problem after all. It seems it was the pinion gear (diff outdrive) that was worn out. Still glad I got the new diff, however. When I tried to take apart the old diff to see what the guy did to lock it up, one of the screws was so tight that it started to flex the shaft of my hex driver! I bore down and tried to get the screw out....and you guessed it; strrrip! Of course I didn't order the other gear, so I called around and found one at my closest decent hobby shop. Only an hour and a half round trip to get a ten dollar part! That's OK, I haven't been there since the snow started flying, and I'm sure I'll find some other goodies to bring home. I could just order the part like always, but I have some time off of work coming and I want to get this thing going!!

More parts, more dollars into my mini-money pit!

Motor break-in underway....

Hard to see on my "high resolution" Ipod camera, but the unit is worn out.

I also got the largest spur gear available for the mini for a little more snappiness.

Once again, my car is in pieces! Starting to really get the hang of building and tearing apart this car.....

RC Champion
    I got my (hopefully) last needed part to get this car up and running today at the hobby shop. Tailspin Hobbies in Apollo, PA is the closest good hobby shop to me. The guys who work there are all good guys and we talked for a long time. They also have a really good selection of parts. HUGE Traxxas wall and more crawler parts and kits than I've seen in a shop. Anyways, it was a good thing I called yesterday and had them put my needed diff outdrive (pinion) behind the counter for me. As I walked in, a younger guy was asking for the same part for his mini Revo. I got the last one. They had ten diff units, but only one pinion gear. Of course, I ended up with lots more goodies than I went there for. Happens every time! Got a back up motor for my scalers, some RC4WD Mud Slingers, a mini pipe cutter, some mini body clips and some paint. They had Spaz Stix paint for $7.50 a can! That is half the price of any seller on the net. I bought another can of Ultimate Mirror Chrome, even though I just bought one for this body. Best stuff out there. At that price, I couldn't pass it up. Two more nights of work, and I have two out of three days off. Can't wait.

Had to tinker around a little this morning after work. RC every day keeps the straightjackets away!! My larger spur gear installed. Hooray!

My collection of hobby shop goods.

RC Champion
    So I got the pinion installed, lubed the rear diff with some thick grease, (to have a little of a locked effect), and still had the same problem. The car was acting like a front wheel drive car with the rear wheels barely moving!! What the heck was going on?!?!? AGAIN, I proceeded to tear the car apart once again, carefully inspecting everything. Looking at every gear, every moving part, looking for binding, EVERYTHING. Then I took out the tranny leaving the motor attatched. When I ran the motor, it seemed fine. Everything turning, UNTIL I grabbed the rear output with my fingers while running the motor forwards. No spinning. Took that apart and discovered that the center longer metal gear looked a bit out of whack. Like the teeth were angled. Like this car has had the guts driven out of it. "Hardly driven" was the description for this rolling pile of garbage when I bought it. THAT was the last straw! I contacted the seller to see what could be done to rectify this situation. They responded within hours. They asked if they could send me some parts, so I asked if they would send me a body and some wheels and tires since I basically had already replaced everything on the chassis. We'll see what transpires. Nightmare of a build. Now I get to stare at this car tomorrow on my night off, because my closest hobby shop (50 mins. away) didn't have the part in stock. Had to make yet another online purchase......

RC Racer
    Wow that sucks. I hate getting burned like that. I think it mostly happens because people have no clue how to fix these things or notice when something is wrong. Stay on it because drifting is pretty fun.
    (2) Slash 4x4 HCG

RC Champion
    Yeah, I really like drifting. I'm not very consistent, but I was starting to get the hang of it with my 4tec. The seller said he bought a bunch of different cars, parted some out and sold some as rollers. He said he thought he checked them out pretty well, but there is no way he ever tried to run this car. With a slipping tranny and a broken front diff, it would never have even moved! Even the a-arms were unusable because someone hacked a half inch off of each one to attain a crazy camber. When I first got it and put wheels on it, only the very inside edges of the tires touched the ground. This thing was beat into the ground. My twenty dollar savings over buying a new roller turned out to not be such a good deal. He says he will send me wheels and tires and a clear body for it, and seems genuinely concerned with all the problems. We have traded many messages and he offered to send me all the parts that are broken. Since I already have purchased all those parts, I asked for the wheels/tires and body. I won't give him a bad rating if he follows through.

RC Champion
    The day has finally come!! I got my new tranny parts in today!! In my excitement, I quickly put everything together without my usual pics. Everything is finally working as it should be, and it drifts so easily! Gotta work on my consistency a bit, but with all my research on how to set this car up to drift, it seems to initiate one almost on its own. Really nice! This is going to be a fun car!

Everything finally in place.

Ready to go.

Not sure if I showed this before, but I cut away part of the foam to imbed the innercooler into it.

Ready to tackle the basement floor!

RC Champion
    Got the little drifter running well. I had to add a little flair and picked up some LED strips. Went with red of course. They have to run on at least nine volts, so I found a spot for a 9v battery and soldered up some leads and a switch. Not much room on the chassis, so with a little trimming, I wedged the battery in the empty servo slot. The strips have 3m adhesive on the back, so I just slapped them on the sides of the battery trays for some underglow lighting. Not bad for $3! I also got two white strips that I'm going to use on another vehicle.

Ready for hookup.

Leads wired up and just stuck the switch on the battery with some servo tape.

Ready to go.

Pretty bright for el cheapos!

Kinda adds to the dripping look. Call me crazy, but it seems to drift a little easier with the added weight up front.

RC Champion
    Sweet car dude, is there a reason you went with a brushed motor?
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    I already had a lvc XL-5 and a decent (or so I thought) brushed motor not being used. The motor turned out to be on it's last legs, but I found a better one for cheap. Brushed power with 2S lipo seems to be more than enough power for this little car, if all I'm doing is drifting with it. In fact, I had a Sidewinder setup in my 4Tec drifter, but needed that setup for another rig. On a whim, I threw in an XL-5 and a 20 brushed motor, and I like it better. The power seems more controllable, and I seem to have more controlled slides. To each his own, I guess. With everything set on this car for drifting, it's even better than the 4Tec. Guess I need to tweak the bigger car a little more.

RC Champion
    Well whatever makes you happy
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    The seller I got this roller from sent me a few things for free since I had so many issues with it. A new roller would have saved me some headaches, but live and learn....

Along with a spur gear, he sent me a set of aluminum adjustable Velcro body mount. Very light wieght and very adjustable.

He also sent me a decent set of drift wheels and tires. They have a built in camber to them. Makes it much easier to break into a slide....