Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!

Maxxxmasher's Fiesta drift build!

I finally made up my mind, pulled the trigger, and bought myself a mini. I have micros and 1/10ths, but never a mini. I'm really starting to like the drift thing, so that is the direction I will be taking this car. Since I wanted drift wheels, my own powerplant, and I like my own painted bodies, I went the Ebay roller route. I found one fairly cheap, and it already had Venom aluminum links, Integy piggyback shocks, and a heat sink motor plate. I also picked up front and rear red RPM a-arms and front and rear axle carriers. In addition to those, I picked up a Fiestsa clear body and a set of red chrome drift wheels/tires from theToyz. I'll be adding some more red aluminum and I also need some batteries. Can't wait to get started! Here's what I'm getting......

In case you didn't know what these look like.....

These too.....

Gonna have a black and red and chrome color scheme.

These wheels are gonna look cool on this!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - More to come!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Racer
    looks promising! can't wait to see the result.

In the meanwhile, you might want to order a diff locker for the rear diff, it will help a lot. Installing it is fairly easy. I took some pictures when I locked mine but haven't yet formed them into a guide.

BTW - It's a new roller or a used one? and how did you find it? I was looking quite a bit on ebay and didn't find that one...

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Thanks for the info! Yeah, it wasn't on there long. I was looking several times a day at them and parts for them. I was going to buy a brand new roller and this one popped up. I think it was on there for about a few hours. Less than half a day, for sure. It was cheaper than any of the new rollers, looks like brand new, comes with a servo, and has a few hop-ups installed. (If you can consider Integy shocks a hop up, anyways!) I know their stuff generally is not good. I have had my share of disappointments with their stuff early on in my RC days, but this shouldn't be flying off any jumps, so they should be ok. If they do leak, teflon tape on all the threads usually cures that problem. Gonna power it with an XL-5 esc, a Novak 20T motor and dual 1S 30c 5000 lipos. Should scoot pretty well!!

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - More to come!!

RC Champion
    Man, I love package day! I hadn't even checked tracking for this package, and it got here today! I got my car from the seller and the body from hopmeup. One plus and one minus with the car. It didn't come with a servo as I thought it would. It did, however, come with a locked rear diff which I was going to do anyways. Not an expensive part, but saves me the hassle of putting it in. It's also in really nice shape. Barely a scuff on the bottom. The topside looks brand new. More stuff later....here's some pics.

The paintjob will be epic on this!

Like new!

Shiny!

HR finned heatsink/mount is a nice bonus.

Hardly a scratch!

Had to throw some extra 4Tec wheels on there to see how they'd look. Car fits great on my trailer.

Or it can ride piggyback.

RC Qualifier
    Lookin good !

RC Champion
    Thanks! I got some new parts in pretty quickly. Got my blingin' drift wheel/tires in and all of my RPM goodies, too. I sorta went hog wild and ordered up a bunch of stuff for this car. I got three of 2S Lipos, a 540 motor plate (didn't realize it wouldn't fit the HR one), a Traxxas servo, a Losi drift accessory kit, another Spektrum reciever, a foam bumper, some Spaz Stix chrome paint, a Carbon wing, Castle connectors, and an extra Spur gear. Can't wait to get the stuff. My mailman will hate me this week!! Here what I got so far....

Who doesn't love a bunch of RPM stuff?

Bling, bling!

Had to mount them up....

Hoonigans need some big rotors, yo!!!

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a company or product name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-09-2014 at 03:18 PM.

RC Champion
    Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a company or product name has been blocked by the language filter.[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry. I didn't know I had to edit the companies' name out. All apologies! I don't think I've ever had a point in the six or so years I've been on here.

RC Champion
    Got a few more goodies in the mail today! Should have some more tomorrow, too! Expect some actual build updates on Friday. No work Thursday night means rc construction. Here's what I got today...

I got my drift kit, the other set of RPM carriers, my chrome paint, and some new castle connectors. Can't wait to get started!

These parts are pretty cool! Intercooler and boomin' exhaust!

RC Champion
    I got some parts in yesterday and today. I think I have just about everything I need to start building! No work tonight, so once I tuck the wife in, I'll have all night to work on this baby! I should be asleep right now, but I had to get all my Valentine's day things in order. Got off work at 8am, and I'm still up. Not good, considering I have a Mgt. Meeting this evening. Oh well, an energy drink and a pile of parts will easily keep me awake tonight. Here's what I got....

Yesterday's delivery.....three 2s 30c 1600mah lipo packs, a 540 motor plate, a Spektrum 3 channel reciever, some red anodized mini body clips, and a Traxxas servo.

Today's delivery includes an exo-carbon wing, front bumper foam, and an extra spur gear.

Here's everything all together, minus the body and the Parma Faskolor paints I'll be using.....nothing like a clean slate and a pile of parts!!

RC Champion
    After doing a few things last night, I finally got to my pile of goodies. I started opening up the parts, and laying stuff out, eager to build. I have never owned a 1/16th Traxxas and this didn't come with a manual, so my going was a bit slower than usual. I did notice, before I even started, that there was oil on the chassis near the front shocks. I was actually hoping it was the Integy shock leaking. Once I got the front end apart, I discovered that the front diff housing was broken. Rrrrrrr......This makes Maxxx angry! There was no mention of this when I bought the car from the seller on ebay. It obviously hit something pretty hard and I suspect the chassis may be cracked, too. Only a minor setback. I mean, I've come this far. Just keep going (and buying!)

The previous owner had modified the chassis by cuting a square to mount a receiver even lower on the chassis, too. I think what I am going to do is pick up a bare chassis and of course another diff housing. The new chassis, I think I will dye red to match all of my other parts. I'll also be getting another servo, two aluminum servo arms, an extra steering setup (as this too is broken), some diff fluid, and an official manual. Caveat Emptor!!!!! (look it up if you don't know what it means!) Here's some pics.....

Heavy into a build, this is how my bench always looks!

Front end off and....

Uh, ohh!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Man, thats a bummer about the broken bulkhead. I'm sure you'll get her up and running soon though. Have fun
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

RC Champion
    Yeah she'll be running soon enough. I think I get carried away sometimes on ebay. I go on there looking for a part or two, and next thing I know, I have ten things in my cart. My latest round is a Corona MG servo, an entire stock steering setup, a HR red aluminum servo horn, a stock rocker set (to dye), a new diff housing, a new gray chassis (to dye), diff fluid assortment, red Rit dye, a slipper set, and a Hot Racing f & r swaybar set. Once I get that stuff, this build will really get moving along! I have to stop looking at Absoloot's build! He is a bad influence!!

RC Racer
    i would stay away from the cheap corona servo. I put one in my rally/boss and it has clicked in full left turns since I installed it. Then started to bind on left turns. I have centered everything in the steering to no effect. Last time I was checking for center with car upside down I could see the flimsy plastic case flexing and spreading open along the seem when turning left. Cheap! I put some super glue on it for now and buy another integy aluminum cased mg servo like I have in my merv.

RC Champion
    Can you please give me the exact model number of the servo that works for you? Unlike 1/10th scale stuff, a lot of these servos are called micro, sub micro, mini, etc. and I'm not sure what will really fit. I just want a strong reliable servo that will fit properly. Is there an official size of this class of servo? I wish there were more stickies in this section. There is so much to search through, and I'm not finding the exact info I want. I also want a bit more info on a good drift setup. Still searching....it stinks not having a hobby shop nearby to compare stuff and get some instant advice.

RC Champion
    I got a little bit done tonight. I basically did what I could. I just put the new RPM arms on the new RPM carriers. I probably could build the whole rear end, but rather than have a mountain of screws and parts waiting on parts, I'll just wait until I get my new chassis. With all my other RC's, I could tear down and rebuild with a blindfold on, but this is a new layout to me. I also have a manual on the way that I got for like three bucks, so that will make things easier. I have a mountain of parts on the way, so expect some updates soon. Hopefully I get some stuff in today's mail, because I am off from work again.

This is all......

RC Racer
    get it over with and post some RTR pictures!!

RC Champion
    Believe me, nobody wants it to be rtr than me! Just waiting on a ton of parts still. I'm expecting most things to show up tomorrow, and the next day, but I have four more work days to go until I have a lot of updates. I need to start masking the body, so I can have it ready by the time I have the car all together.

RC Competitor
    looks like you have a good setup for drifting. i hope to see a small running video of it in action!
    good job

RC Racer
    My . . . The supplier cannot be mentioned on this site. Then don't mention it.

Also check these servos...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=servo

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned product or company name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-20-2014 at 08:55 AM.

RC Champion
    I received a plethora of goodies from the mailman today! Got my new chassis, front diff housing, new steering bellcrank, new rockers, a red aluminum servo horn, and another set of a-arms (came withstand the rockers). Still awaiting my Corona servo, and a few other goodies. I also got my chassis dyed red and the new rockers are soaking right now. Here's the day's haul.

My dyed chassis....(looks darker in this pic)

Just about everything I have so far....man, am I ready to build!!

Wow, nice build!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    Yeah, thanks! I am so anxious to start building this thing. I have to work Friday and Saturday night, but then I have Sunday and Monday off. I also have my other rc project just about done, so I can pit my time solely on this car. The only thing I am waiting for is my diff fluid assortment. That should be here today for sure, along with extra shock mounts and an extra slipper set. The only things I still want to get for this are bearings for the steering and also for the rockers. Somehow I overlooked those items when getting everything together. I'm also thinking about getting another body for this thing just to mix it up. Pro-Line's Focus and Protoform bodies are pretty cool, and everyone has a Mustang, so I might go for something different like this from Mccalister racing.

Never seen one of these on a Traxxas 1/16th car....

These sweet rockers in red aluminum would be cool, too. Just a little salty for me right now.

These wild tire would be cool for general running too.

Last edited by MAXXXMASHER; 02-21-2014 at 07:27 AM.

RC Champion
    I got the last of my build goodies today, so I am all set. Just ordered the bearings I need, but I have plenty to do without them. Two days till build time!!

Extra steering setup and extra slipper.

Some diff lubes to try out.

RC Champion
    Just a quick update. Hafta leave for work pretty soon. Got my body masked off with a first coat of Parma Fasmask and also got my rockers dyed up. They didn't come out as bright as I had hoped, but they give it more of a custom look anyways.

Love this stuff! This is going to be a wild paintjob....

The pics of these don't look right. They are definitely more red than the brown they appear to be.

RC Champion
    Just caught the end of the Daytona 500. Wife tucked in bed. Monster Energy cracked open. Time to build!!

RC Champion
    I got a pretty good night's work in on the Fiesta. I didn't get quite as far as I wanted to, but this little machine is a lot different than my other cars for sure. I have never owned or worked on any of the Traxxas minis, or anything with this type of suspension or layout. I was surprised that it seems like you have to tear apart half the car to do anything. Everything is so integrated on this mini. Good thing I invested in a manual, as I had to refer to it a few times to be sure I was making the correct moves. I also had a bit of trouble installing the HR sway bar kit. At first, I was trying to install it like a traditional suspension setup!!! Derrrr. Shocks are on top, dummy!! I finally referred to a few threads on here after doing a search, and I think they are ok. One of the ball ends is so tight, though, that it is causing a slight binding issue on the right side of the rear. I'll address this later. Anyways, I snapped some more pics. I gotta get to sleep! Gotta be at a (casual lunch) meeting in eight hours. No work tonight, though, so I should get the rest done.

Got most of the old parts stripped off of the old chassis.

Got the rear a-arms mounted. Wish the chassis would've turned out a bit brighter, but it's ok. Considered soaking the RPM arms and carriers to make them match, but I didn't feel like tearing them all apart. Maybe in the future. I always save my old dye solutions in two-liter bottles for future use.

Glad I got a new slipper assembly. This baby has been in the wet!

Took apart the tranny, cleaned it (and the bearings) up, relubed, and assembled with the new 540 motor plate.

Although I like the protective feature of the one piece skidplate, I wish it wasn't so integral to the application of so many parts. I think I had it off and on four or more times. Trying to do a complete build with an unfamiliar platform can lead to these headaches at times....... I can rebuild a Maxx truck, a Slash, 4Tec, or Axial truck in the dark!!

In the middle of figuring out the HR sway bars. Really sounds like they are a great help to the handling.

Got the whole rear end done, and a pretty good start on the front.

Kinda looks like the chassis was soaked on blood. Sort of like the body will. Think Ken Block body, but instead of white drips, imagine something more sinister! Maybe like a car Rob Zombie would drive if he was a drift Hoonigan!

I think I got the sway bars right. If anyone knows better, please chime in! *hint* hey, Jimmie!!

Really like the build so far. Who am I kidding? I love any build!! Crawler, road car, Monster truck, micro; you name it!

RC Champion
    I got a fair amount done last night. Pretty much have everything mechanically working. Then, the trouble started. I started to hook up the electronics. Thought the receiver I ebayed was faulty at first. Bound it to another vehicle and it worked. Hmmmm. This isn't good. Couldn't get my Sidewinder esc to anything other than blink yellow. (Mods, I am not looking for advice concerning this, just explaining what happened!) Anyways, I tried all the usual tricks, different receiver, different battery, multiple motors, reset radio, reversed throttle on radio, nothing. Not looking for advice on that. I'm sending in for repair or hopefully a replacement with a new waterproof version! I also couldn't get one of my rod ends on the ball for the HR sway bar set-up. When I tried to press it on, it exploded. GREAT. I did find another end to use, but it was so tight, it wouldn't allow the bars to move as they should. Reamed it out a bit. Yeah. A bit too much. Now it is too loose, and pops off when the suspension flexes. GREAT. I'm sure I have another one somewhere, but after all that messing around last night, I dejectedly called it a night and went to bed. Figured I'd have a running car rather than a repair being sent to Castle!! Here's how it's looking now.

Arms and bumper on.

Got my pretty wheels mounted and confirmed that at least my servo works by hooking it up to another car's system.

Lookin' good! (All show; no go!)

Gonna work on the body this weekend while I wait for my esc to be returned....

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter

RC Champion
    I came to a decision regarding the powerplant. Instead of waiting around for the Sidewinder (which is too much for it anyways), I decided to take the XL-5 I have in my 4tec drifter and use it with a 27T HPI motor I had laying around instead. I was using the XL and a 20T motor in that car and it works great. This car is smaller and lighter, so it should work out fine. One thing I overlooked is the motor mount for the 540 motor which connects to the tranny plate. Such a noob when it comes to this platform!! Also I thought I purchased the correct Corona servo, but upon inspection, it is too small. I probably could fab something up to make it work, but it would have to be very underpowered for this car. It is pretty much the same size that I have in my micro crawlers. I'll just use it as a backup for those. It was just going to be a backup for this car anyways. Live and learn!

Tiny, even compared to the stock Traxxas unit.

The proposed electronics.

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - 1/16th Fiesta - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - soon '65 Malibu Micro T Drifter

RC Champion
    Nothing to exciting to mention today. Got my needed (wanted) bearings from the mailman today. Rubber shielded Traxxas units for the steering, and some metal shielded ones for the rockers. Not completely necessary, but the less friction, the better. I am also trying to decide what servo to get, because the 2080 doesn't sound like it will have a long life. I have been doing TONS of research, and will come to a decision very soon. I'm also working on something that will help everyone with deciding on what servo to buy for a Traxxas 1/16th model. Look for a BIG post very soon....you will all like it!

Bearings. Very exciting, I know!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Nothing to exciting to mention today. Got my needed (wanted) bearings from the mailman today. Rubber shielded Traxxas units for the steering, and some metal shielded ones for the rockers. Not completely necessary, but the less friction, the better. I am also trying to decide what servo to get, because the 2080 doesn't sound like it will have a long life. I have been doing TONS of research, and will come to a decision very soon. I'm also working on something that will help everyone with deciding on what servo to buy for a Traxxas 1/16th model. Look for a BIG post very soon....you will all like it!

Bearings. Very exciting, I know!!

Do you have your servo yet? If not i will recommendend a Hitec HS-85MG

RC Champion
    Yeah, that's not a bad servo for the price. Like I said, I am still in the research phase. That is in my top ten.

RC Champion
    Actually I just checked my watched ebay items, and one I was seriously considering was ending soon, so I bought it. I got a Cirrus 401mg. 57oz. of torque and metal gear construction. It also happens to use the same horns as Traxxas (Futaba 25t), so that was the tipping point since I just got an aluminum servo horn to fit the Traxxas servos. It cost me $23 NIB!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    Actually I just checked my watched ebay items, and one I was seriously considering was ending soon, so I bought it. I got a Cirrus 401mg. 57oz. of torque and metal gear construction. It also happens to use the same horns as Traxxas (Futaba 25t), so that was the tipping point since I just got an aluminum servo horn to fit the Traxxas servos. It cost me $23 NIB!!

Nice choice

RC Champion
    I got a part in the mail today, just in the nick of time. I received my 540 motor mount so I can finally apply power to this little baby. No work tonight or tomorrow, either! If my part wouldn't have shown up, I would have just the bearings to install and then be left staring at my almost completed project. Should be a runner tonight. Then, its on to paint designing. Just need it to be a little warmer. Maybe I'll get it painted tomorrow. We'll see... I worked all night until 7am this morning and then went to Lowe's to get some needed items to keep my kitchen remodel going. Worked on that until noon today. Now its time for a little shut-eye....

Can't believe I overlooked this part when I originally started ordering stuff. 1/16th noob, ya know!

Gonna be a tight fit with the sway bars and the piggyback shocks (stupid Integy, always messing things up, some how)

RC Champion

RC Champion
    I finally got my kitchen work done today and headed to the basement for some build time. Got my bearings installed, and the servo centered and hooked up. Pretty tight for space on this chassis! I got the motor installed, but had to slightly bend the swaybars to get them to move freely without hitting the motor. I had the same problem when trying to mount the XL-5, too. The solution I came up with was to elevate the esc up from the chassis by bending a piece of aluminum into a C shape and using it as a platform for the speed control. I also have a bit of an issue with the wires from my batteries being off to the side. I can't fully close the side hatch to secure it. I'll have to donate bit of custom work with the dremel to fix that problem. At least it's a runner! Sort of....I scooted it across the basement floor and it would barely turn. The wheels turn freely from side to side, but it just pushes straight ahead. I discovered that the slightest friction will stop the rear wheels from turning. All it does is pull with the front, basically. The rear diff is locked. I really wish I had inspected it more closely when I did the tear down. It appeared to be working fine, so I just left it alone and slapped it in the new chassis. Could it be a one way diff that is somehow in backwards? I didn't think that could be the case, but in reverse, the rear wheels pull very strongly. Is my fear that the rear diff is totally shot true? This little machine is annoying me a bit. Not so much the machine, but the guy that sold me this worn out lemon. Anyways, here's the pics of tonight's work. I'll get it sorted out. Just wish I had a hobby shop close by. Hate waiting a week to get more parts.....

Motor and my esc mount installed.

Bolted into place into the unused battery enclosure.

XL-5 mounted up and out of the way.

Ready to go!

I also found the time to scribe out my body design. Gonna look good! All show and no go right now.....

RC Racer
    The servo is supposed to go in from the bottom just like the blank insert. It jets sandwiched between the chassis and the guard on the bottom side.
    (2) Slash 4x4 HCG

RC Champion
    Good eyeballs, man! Yeah I figured that out when I went to attatch the horn. All good now. Getting ready to spray the body. It's about 15f out, but I have had the space heater going in the garage for awhile. After that, I'll dig into this rear diff and see what's going on.....

RC Champion
    Well, I didn't get to inspect the rear diff to see what is going on, but I did FINALLY get the body painted! It took longer than expected. It got colder than I expected. My little space heater in my drafty garage wasn't much of a match for old man winter! It was three degrees outside and not much warmer in my garage, I don't think. I was still determined to get it done regardless. I kept my Parma Faskolors inside until I was ready to use each color, pre-heated the body with a hair dryer, and then immediately dried the paint as I went along. The hot water used to clean out my paint cup at each color change was a welcome relief for my freezing fingers! I finished up an hour ago, and my toes are still a bit chilly. I know these are not ideal conditions for painting, but using all these precautions, I have never had paint chip or flake off of any of my bodies. Wish I could have been ready yesterday; it was fourth degrees out! Still would've used the same process, but I wouldn't have gotten so cold. I think it turned out pretty nice. I maybe made it too busy, but I like the color combo. See what ya think!!

I have got to get a better camera!! This Ipod does not do it justice!

FasRed around the bottom, FasBlack for windows & zig zag, Fascent Purple for upper part, FasBlue for zig zag, fasWhite for zig zag, and Spaz Stix mirror chrome on the hood and rear.

Love the SpazStix chrome!

Gotta add the stickers and drift accessories.

Definitely picked out the right wheels; they go nice with the paint scheme.

Really like these wheels.

Sorta like the Block scheme, but I didn't like the colors of that car.

Yes that is a reflection of my Ipod taking a picture. This thing will look great in the sun.

Still gotta add the wing, mirrors, exhaust, the intercooler and of course, the stickers.

RC Champion
    Took some more pictures today. Got a few stickers on there and mounted my drift goodies. Mirrors, exhaust, and intercooler installed. I came up with a different way of mounting that. I basically cut away the bumper foam enough to sink the cooler into it enough to properly install the body. After that, I cut a hole an opening in the front of the body to expose it and put plastic mesh in between the two by adhering to the body with RTV silicone. I'll add some more stickers to it also. Looks good!

I also want to be ready for diff repair (should it come to that), so I bought a complete diff for the rear. I don't want to tear apart the car and discover I need a whole new unit. Then it'll be another week with no car. If it is found to be ok, I'll just have a spare for down the road. While I was at it, I ordered up a Reedy Radon 17T rebuildable brushed motor for it. My HPI motor is working, but it sounds terrible and smokes a bit when ran hard. It is an old motor that has been used in a road car and also in a scale truck that liked to run in creeks a lot. Time for a new powerplant! I had to take some more pics, too. These look a little better.....

I also did a little Dremeling to the battery compartment. I couldn't get the rear latch to work due to the location of where the wires exit the pack. All better now!

Exhaust can. Coulda cut that opening a little better!

Hey, Monster helped me build this car!

I like how the front end worked out. Can't decide if it looks mean or if it looks like it's smiling!

The side mirrors really make a body look realistic.

I like it!

I also have to mount the wing. Not sure exactly where it should go. I got the exo-carbon Fiesta wing. The only place it seems to fit the contours of the body is just at the bottom of the rear widow. Does the seem correct?? Seems like a weird place to mount it. Any thoughts about this? I looked a a lot of pics and I just cant decide if I should put it where or not.