RC Champion

My Plans on Running 2s

So, I ordered my Teton today on Tower Hobbies and now I'm contemplating on running 2s. I will first utilize the 6 cell nimh to test the Teton "out-of-the-box".

Anyhow, I figured since the ESC has LVD then running a 2s lipo should be fine...right?

My plans are to purchase a Traxxas Male connector to female Tamiya connector
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/150675324026...84.m1497.l2649

Then Order an SPC 2s 2500mah Lipo
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....rice&order=ASC

So I have to ask you guys....WILL THIS WORK??? Kind of scared to order because i'm not sure that's the same connector as the Teton. The Teton's connector says "Standard" connector and the conversion connector says "Tamiya" connector.

Can someone let me know if this is the right way to go or is this overkill?? don't think it will be since traxxas installed LVD on the ESC, basically begging for a LiPo

Traxxas Employee
    Yes, you should be fine running a 2S LiPo in the Teton, provided the battery fits in the tray.

By "Standard" connector, yes, that means the same as a classic Tamiya (aka Molex) connector. So the 3061 adapter will work just fine.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Shredder View Post
    Yes, you should be fine running a 2S LiPo in the Teton, provided the battery fits in the tray.

By "Standard" connector, yes, that means the same as a classic Tamiya (aka Molex) connector. So the 3061 adapter will work just fine.
    COOL!!!! thanks for the info my friend. And yes, I forgot about battery fitment, I guess there's no way to tell if the pack in the link will fit into the battery tray on the Teton

RC Champion
    That SPC back is 89mm x 34mm x 19.5mm
    The battery tray on the Teton is: 102mm x 35mm x 18mm. Shouldn't be to tough to make it work.
    Last edited by dave00bear; 02-10-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    That SPC back is 89mm x 34mm x 19.5mm
    The battery tray on the Teton is: 102mm x 35mm x 18mm. Shouldn't be to tough to make it work.
    I was just looking at the same dimensions dave lol yea its just a lil taller than the nimh by a hair...it should work. I went ahead and ordered it.

RC Competitor
    I want to upgrade servo and motor to castle micro pro combo

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MERV123451 View Post
    I want to upgrade servo and motor to castle micro pro combo
    to be honest...if the brushed motor burns out on 2s I will upgrade to a castle system. want to test the stock electronics on 2s first.

RC Champion
    Yeah, I have no plans on upgrading the stock electronics, I mean maybe in the future, Heck I'll probably use this mostly indoors anyhow.
    A 2s lipo though, is in the works.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Competitor
    Actually no electronics for me either. No good cheap WATERPROOF ones and it's too much of a hassle to install

RC Qualifier
    I use the SPC 2500 in the LaTrax Rally. Assuming that the Teton is the same platform as the Rally, If you mount the battery in the battery compartment it will rub against the center drive shaft. So I mount mine on its side edge and I tied it down with Velcro wrap. There is a thread on this in the LaTrax Rally forum. Its about a month old now. Another person attached the batteries with heavy duty type Velcro to the battery and the compartment and attaches it that way. Have had no problems with heat or damage. It runs the car at least half again as fast as the stock battery. I have yet to run the car long enough to drain the batteries.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Traxxas Employee
    Just be mindful of temperatures if you run a 2s LiPo in the Teton. It's a light vehicle, but the motor will still heat up pretty quickly on 2s. I burned my finger on the motor after running with a 2s for a few minutes. No motor likes to get that hot.

Traxxas Employee
    Do as I say and not as I do...

I just made an adapter for mine last night. Seriously though, watch your temps with a 2s. You can overheat that motor.
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 02-12-2014 at 10:38 AM.

RC Qualifier
    That is great advice. I run my Rally on concrete and asphalt with the 2s and have not had issues. I do know if you run the rally on carpet it can and will heat up. Being the Teton is more of a 4 wheeler I can see myself running it on grass and dirt possibly causing it to have more driving resistance than concrete and heating it up. Mine are in at the LHS going to get them now.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    That is great advice. I run my Rally on concrete and asphalt with the 2s and have not had issues. I do know if you run the rally on carpet it can and will heat up. Being the Teton is more of a 4 wheeler I can see myself running it on grass and dirt possibly causing it to have more driving resistance than concrete and heating it up. Mine are in at the LHS going to get them now.
    I want to see the Teton soooooo badly