RC Racer

Just got my new x-01. It doesn't look like its marketing photos (pictures attached)

Just received my new X-01. It doesn't look quite as good as it does in the marketing photos on the website and on the box. Specifically the Traxxas sticker on the side looks very cheesy in real life. Defiantly just slapped on.. What do you guys think?

Real life:

Traxxas Marketing & Promo Photo:

I mean, the two are close.. But the marketing ones are clearly different than what I have in real life. Look at how different the decals are in front of the front tire..

I have to confess based on the marketing materials, I thought the shell was painted. This is all just stickers..
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 02-05-2014 at 07:15 PM.

Traxxas Employee
    The main graphics are impregnated into the lexan when molded. As with every lexan body any painting will be on the inside and wont have a "painted" look. The lexan "acts" as the clear coat one would do to a real car, or abs body.
    slash 4x4 lcg, telluride(modded), TCP........and other things

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    marketing photos ALWAYS look amazing to attract peoples attention and to get them to buy it. you can get yours to look amazing too if you take some time to tinker and adjust everything to how you want it to look.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    marketing photos ALWAYS look amazing to attract peoples attention and to get them to buy it.....
    It worked!

RC Champion
    simple fix my friend. get rid of the stock body here on the marketplace before you scratch it up, then purchase a clear shell for the XO-1 and make that beast YOURS! check the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Body...item1e86ab2c54

or you can just keep it and use it as a basher body.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nixhex32 View Post
    The main graphics are impregnated into the lexan when molded. As with every lexan body any painting will be on the inside and wont have a "painted" look. The lexan "acts" as the clear coat one would do to a real car, or abs body.
    Thanks for the info.. Understood about the painting and impregnation of the decals. The big Traxxas one is not though. I might just peel that one off, I think it may look better without it..
    I'm not going to return it based on this stuff, but the marketing photos are definatly more than a touch bit different from the actual product.

All in all still a very good looking car though.. Especially under the shell!
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 02-05-2014 at 07:52 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    yes, i got mine yesterday, blue..it doesnt look like the one in the ad as well... the paint seems to have some glitters on it, but from afar it looks nice...oh wells, but it rans awsome!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    marketing photos ALWAYS look amazing to attract peoples attention and to get them to buy it. you can get yours to look amazing too if you take some time to tinker and adjust everything to how you want it to look.
    I think he just wanted it to look like the picture on the box- can he "tinker" with the stickers to get it to look like what he thought he was buying? That colour scheme was my favourite of the new XO-1's but the real-life one has too much white on the front, the stripes should be level with the intake on the front quarter panel but they are angled downward!

Its still nice, but the pic on box is better.

RC Enthusiast
    This is why I asked on the original thread if the bodies were different. The photos show a sleeker body with some nip and tucks.

RC Champion
    Looks like the graphics were printed a little lower on the sides. Could be due to them being mass produced.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    simple fix my friend. get rid of the stock body here on the marketplace before you scratch it up, then purchase a clear shell for the XO-1 and make that beast YOURS! check the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Body...item1e86ab2c54

or you can just keep it and use it as a basher body.
    Yeah I get it.. But why should I have to do this?

If someone advertises a product.. Then I buy a product based on said advertisement.. Then I look at my product and it is not the same as what they advertised.. That is not an issue on my side.. That is an issue on their side..

And nowhere have I seen any disclaimers or fine print on the box or website which say anything like "*not actual photos", or "*images have been enhanced", or "*actual product may vary from pictured product".

So they made a cool product, but I'm sorry, what they have done is not cool in my book.

RC Qualifier
    Charge your batteries and go have fun.
    The Annihilator....fastest XO-1 on planet Earth.

And nowhere have I seen any disclaimers or fine print on the box or website which say anything like "*not actual photos", or "*images have been enhanced", or "*actual product may vary from pictured product".
    Nothing new here it is how marketing works in virtually every industry we have. Do you think the Big Mac you see in McDonalds commercials looks like the Big Mac you get when you order one? The differences in your picture and the marketing picture is pretty minor IMO compared to other examples I can think of.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Nothing new here it is how marketing works in virtually every industry we have. Do you think the Big Mac you see in McDonalds commercials looks like the Big Mac you get when you order one? The differences in your picture and the marketing picture is pretty minor IMO compared to other examples I can think of.
    Nothing from McDonalds costs $700. And I wouldn't eat McDonalds even if it was free.. Well maybee just a few fries
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 02-06-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    Nothing from McDonalds costs $700. And I wouldn't eat McDonalds even if it was free.. Well maybee just a few fries
    It was just an example that came to mind first the same is true of just about any companies marketing that you chose to talk about.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

The 2014-version XO-1 marketing photo was taken by an Alias quadcopter at an altitude of between 5 and 10 thousand feet.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The 2014-version XO-1 marketing photo was taken by an Alias quadcopter at an altitude of between 5 and 10 thousand feet.
    LOL too funny!!!! Well to anyone who has followed the Alias forum anyway
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It was actually 10,500..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    Charge your batteries and go have fun.
    Agreed!!!

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    Agreed!!!

Jeremy
    It was purchased to hang on the wall in my office as a show piece. I didn't buy it to drive it..

RC Champion
    It was purchased to hang on the wall in my office as a show piece. I didn't buy it to drive it..
    WOW! didn't think anyone liked these new bodies on the XO-1 that bad to shelf queen them

I understand your frustration but at the end of the day, Traxxas is a business like any other company. The Big-Mac reference stated earlier is a good example of how flourishing businesses run. mass produced items create mass produced defects.

RC Champion
    If this is the case, then I question why you were asking what batteries you could use with it in another thread.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    I'm going to drive it at least a few times before I hang it..

But the overall reason for my purchase was to hang it up in my office.. Were it not for its sleek looks and awesome paint scheme I wouldn't have bought it..

Some of you guys on here are funny. Reminds me of when I used to be into modding real cars when I was younger.. I was on a Honda forum and if you dared say anything even remotely critical about Honda the fanboys would be all over you like you attacked their firstborn..

I was a Honda guy too.. As I am a Traxxas guy.. But I do not look at them and their products with blinders on. I am not on the payroll. I am a customer. I try to be objective, and I'll be the first to admit, my views might sometimes be clouded by some emotion, but I simply call it like I see it.

Sorry if this hurts your feelings..

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    I think he just wanted it to look like the picture on the box- can he "tinker" with the stickers to get it to look like what he thought he was buying? That colour scheme was my favourite of the new XO-1's but the real-life one has too much white on the front, the stripes should be level with the intake on the front quarter panel but they are angled downward!

Its still nice, but the pic on box is better.
    ^^ Yes, exactly. ^^
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-07-2014 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Merged

RC Racer
    I paid $1100 for my XO when it first came out and yes it is painful to see how the price has dropped etc etc, but I will says this, while I own many RCs from competitors, traxxas is still hands down number 1 in customer service... Hence why I have a Jato, Tmaxx, XO and just bought an Alias... Hope it goes 10 000 feets LOL... Can wait for my new XO body...

RC Competitor
    I just want to chime in here. For what it is, The marketing photos and the real thing are pretty close. I actually was more impressed with the xo1 after seeing it in person and driving it, than just seeing the pics online. This car cant be appreciated until you unbox it and run it. If you purchased this vehicle RTR to hang on the wall you made a big mistake. You can buy a Rolling chassis online with a pre painted body for around $225 +shipping . Then Hang it on your wall and save about $400!

RC Qualifier
    I told you in your other post, Want to buy new style X-01 Body. Can I order from Traxxas? Part Number?, that the new body styles didn't look that good in person, and that the older one was a better deal. I also mentioned that you could jazz up the old body to your own taste, but you couldn't un-jazz the new one. I did warn you. (lol)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarDude View Post
    I told you in your other post, Want to buy new style X-01 Body. Can I order from Traxxas? Part Number?, that the new body styles didn't look that good in person, and that the older one was a better deal. I also mentioned that you could jazz up the old body to your own taste, but you couldn't un-jazz the new one. I did warn you. (lol)
    I didn't see any such post from you in the thread you describe:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...as-Part-Number

No big deal though.. I still like it better than the plain colors..

Quote Originally Posted by Rustler22 View Post
    I just want to chime in here. For what it is, The marketing photos and the real thing are pretty close. I actually was more impressed with the xo1 after seeing it in person and driving it, than just seeing the pics online.
    This is all subjective. I respectfully disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustler22 View Post
    This car cant be appreciated until you unbox it and run it. If you purchased this vehicle RTR to hang on the wall you made a big mistake. You can buy a Rolling chassis online with a pre painted body for around $225 +shipping . Then Hang it on your wall and save about $400!
    I still want to run it a few times , but then it will be displayed. And it is a fascinating piece of engineering and when someone asks "does it actually drive" I want to be able to say yes and to take it down and show them all the internals..
    But I see your point if I wanted to get it cheaper..
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-07-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Merged

RC Qualifier
    You're right Jerry. Sorry bout that. It's under Thinking about an XO-1 - Are they going to be discontinued soon?

Here's what I wrote:

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry...what am I going to do with you? (lol) I'd get one now. I've seen the new ones with the new bodies, and I think the old bodies are way better. For me, my basic philosophy is: it's better to have something a little on the plain side that you can add to if you want, rather than having someting a bit on the gaudy side that you can't do anything about unless you replace it.

Also, even though the new XO-1 is advertised that it's to your own advantage to buy it without batteries (read the last sentence of its' advertisement), so that you can get the batteries you want for your personal needs....and even though, the new XO-1 (without batteries) is priced the same as the old one that came with batteries....and even though, there are some moderators out there that tell me this is good deal, and not a price increase....and even though, I'ved moved on in my Traxxas forum life (as per the advise of my moderator), I still say your not getting as much for your money. And with that I say, you should get the older one now while you still can.
    It cost me 2 bucks to jazz this baby up.

Last edited by ReglarDude; 02-07-2014 at 06:59 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    have you guys seen the cost of the XO-1 parts in Amazon?? theyre dirt cheap! swing arm 2sets for 6bucks/ metal plate and drive shaft for 9 bucks. and some other parts for less than 5bucks, try assembling one for yourself it'll save you lots of money.

RC Racer
    You're right Jerry. Sorry bout that. It's under Thinking about an XO-1 - Are they going to be discontinued soon?

Here's what I wrote:

It cost me 2 bucks to jazz this baby up.

I stand corrected.. But that is a different thread..

Yeah And your right that body looks sweet... But I just fell in love with the new body style in the pictures and I couldn't help myself.. Even though it cost me more I bought the new style. All in all I'm happy with it though.. Still looks good..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by robster888 View Post
    have you guys seen the cost of the XO-1 parts in Amazon?? theyre dirt cheap! swing arm 2sets for 6bucks/ metal plate and drive shaft for 9 bucks. and some other parts for less than 5bucks, try assembling one for yourself it'll save you lots of money.
    Esc, motor, radio, axles, c hubs and bearing carriers, 17mm adaptors, and wheels will set you back about $500, and you still need the rest of the car. These are take off prices too.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    Jerry, in the end, that's all that matters. If you're happy, then you did good kid. (lol) For me, I like to keep my body graffics simple...that's just my taste. I understand though, that it's not for everyone. Good luck with your new XO-1!

RC poster
    Looks good to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Jerry, in the end, that's all that matters. If you're happy, then you did good kid. (lol) For me, I like to keep my body graffics simple...that's just my taste. I understand though, that it's not for everyone. Good luck with your new XO-1!
    Thanks!

I am happy with it..

RC Qualifier
    If u ask me the original colors look better and in Person they look like real automotive finish , I've had black which was like a gunmetal and a beauty silver and now red . I painted my own clear body white with black decals
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Racer
    Grrr....

-bashdemon-

I noticed those slight differences too, although i always thought the sample pic you posted in the first post and the box photos were essentially all CGI. so i expected some difference.
    I don't think I'll ever look at a stock body as a shelf body.
    This is my idea of a shelf body
    Last edited by Cameron; 03-18-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Champion
    @ OP, Looks close enough to call it even to me...