RC Qualifier

Lipo full charge time

My brother left his lipos for 8-10 days at a full charge, the recommended time by the manufacturer is 1 day. I know this can effect the life, but I'm wondering I this has already effected it? Of is it fine for once?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It has already been effected and will continue to be every time...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier

Lipo full charge time

How much would that effect it? Enough to where it's bad? Or a small bit, but enough to where it's noticed? This will be the last time he does it though
    One last thing, it was new at Christmas and maybe 5-8 runs

RC Champion
    Thats a difficult question to answer, the ageing process has been accelerated by storing at that voltage. But different brands will be better than others, but they will be effected. The only way to check, is if your charger can display the internal resistance readings, then you'd know for sure at the condition of the lipo now.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Qualifier
    Ok I have the hitec x4 ac plus, does this have that option?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    The only way to check, is if your charger can display the internal resistance readings, then you'd know for sure at the condition of the lipo now.
    Wouldn't he have needed to have taken the resistance ratings at some point before the event in question, so that he can now compare how much the resistance has increased due to the event? Obviously, if the resistance ratings are now off the chart, the batteries are obviously compromised. From reading everything I can about storing LiPo batteries, I seriously doubt that storing the battery at full charge for one ten-day period will have much impact on the use of the battery.
    _
    Stampede 4x4 VXL; Slash 2wd VXL; MJ Grinder VXL

RC Champion
    not necessarily, you can use measurements after the first six month of use. You'll be surprised at what simple mistakes can lower the efficiency of a lipo. Which is why some manufacturers recommend no longer than 24 hours. the longest I've seen is 48 hours.
    But only time will tell.

RC Competitor
    not necessarily, you can use measurements after the first six month of use.
    But if you take the measurements after six months, what are you comparing those measurements to in order to know if the internal resistance has gone up compared to some prior point in time? Wouldn't the internal resistance need to have been measured at some point prior to the six month measurement to have a reference point for comparison?
    _

RC Champion
    From the measurements of what the packs should be. If you just went off the first internal resistance reading and comparing that, how do you know that the pack was good in first place.
    It may of been manufactured months ago and on the shop shelf waiting for someone to buy it.

RC Competitor
    From the measurements of what the packs should be.
    How do you determine what the pack should be? Do manufacturers provide that information with each battery pack? The LiPo batteries that I have purchased do not have that information provided with the battery. Thanks.
    _

RC Champion
    It should be in the charger manual as different chargers measure different ways. But this is for chargers that can read i.r.
    Different pack capacities and packs with different C rates will all have a different measurements.