RC Enthusiast

XO coasts to the left, but pulls right under moderate accel

Hoping to get some help. Now that I am looking to do some moderate speed runs , I have noticed some weird characteristics. The car seems to coast to the left off throttle, the pull to the right under moderate throttle. This occurs more severely on a crowned road, but it still occurs on a level parking lot. no kind of servo centering will help.

The ESC is unlocked , but running the stock 50 mph pinion. I have upgraded the shock springs to Revo yellow stripes(2.6), shimmed the front and rear control arms, servo tried multiple toe/camber in and out settings. I just did the 30k rear diff fluid change.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Double G; 02-03-2014 at 06:13 PM. Reason: banned brand name

RC Champion
    All I can say is make sure your toe is set spot on. Also make sure your tires are flat on the ground at settled ride height. It's really hard to get the XO to track perfectly straight. You could also be experiencing a little wheel spin causing the car to appear as if it is pulling to one side. There are just so many factors that can cause this. Just remember that the parts are mass produced and they are not all perfect. For me, I just adjust my driving to the car. I try to dial it in as best I can and drive to the best of my ability.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC poster
    I don't own an XO-1, but knowing that it's 4WD, I might suggest that something is going on with the front drive train, or an issue with bearings. The front bulkhead might be loose and the torque of the drive shaft is twisting it out of alignment.
    Last edited by TboltBeardie; 02-18-2014 at 11:13 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TboltBeardie View Post
    I don't own an XO-1, but knowing that it's 4WD, I might suggest that something is going on with the front drive train, or an issue with bearings. The front bulkhead might be loose and the torque of the drive shaft is twisting it out of alignment.

This.
    Alignment may say to the left. Once power is applied, something is twisting or is not tight enough. Look closely at any slop, esp near the knuckles.
    While probably in the front, it could be in the back too.

On-power alignment issues can sometimes be because the rear alignment wants to turn right and gains the extra weight bias on-power. The rear tires may have too much left angled toe.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    All I can say is make sure your toe is set spot on. Also make sure your tires are flat on the ground at settled ride height. It's really hard to get the XO to track perfectly straight. You could also be experiencing a little wheel spin causing the car to appear as if it is pulling to one side. There are just so many factors that can cause this. Just remember that the parts are mass produced and they are not all perfect. For me, I just adjust my driving to the car. I try to dial it in as best I can and drive to the best of my ability.

Jeremy
    I fail to see why the fact that they are mass produced is an excuse? I have 3 identical televisions which are mass produced and they are all identical in terms of picture quality, colors, etc. If they weren't and the manufacturer said, "well please understand they are mass produced" consumers would laugh at them...

My opinion: its either working as designed or its not. If they are supposed to exhibit this characteristic then fine. But if it aint right it aint right.

My $0.02.

Btw for the record my XO does seem to do the same thing. So maybe thats just how they all are and it is in fact working as designed.
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 02-22-2014 at 02:09 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    I fail to see why the fact that they are mass produced is an excuse? I have 3 identical televisions which are mass produced and they are all identical in terms of picture quality, colors, etc. If they weren't and the manufacturer said, "well please understand they are mass produced" consumers would laugh at them...

My opinion: its either working as designed or its not. If they are supposed to exhibit this characteristic then fine. But if it aint right it aint right.

My $0.02.

Btw for the record my XO does seem to do the same thing. So maybe thats just how they all are and it is in fact working as designed.
    Well, you asked for advice and that's what I gave... not an excuse. Maybe you should call Traxxas instead of posting on the forums.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    Well, you asked for advice and that's what I gave... not an excuse. Maybe you should call Traxxas instead of posting on the forums.

Jeremy
    Its not that I don't appreciate your advice, I do. Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I happen to agree with you, issues like this may be because the parts are mass produced. But my point was just that it should not be an excuse for poor quality control.

RC Champion
    Guys i'm almost 95% sure that the reason it's doing this is because of the road you're running on. Right out of the box mines did the same thing yesterday. Off throttle is where you need to adjust your steering servo. When I was on the throttle it lost traction/wheel-spin and it tends to pull to whichever side. This is all because of the tires not gripping and full throttle spin outs. This is what I figured is the reason.