RC Racer

Thought I was only going to have one

I got into RC when I was a lot younger. Coming from a super strict family though, as well as not having the money for it since my parents took all our money and invested it in our college savings (REALLY GOOD CHOICE I HATED IT AT THE TIME BUT IT HAS PAID DIVIDENDS!!!) could never afford fixing the cars. Fast forward almost fifteen years and my GF got me a stampede for christmas. Awesome decision totally got back into the hobby and pulled my old cars out, the past month has been a non stop blast. Recently though well on Wednesday one of these guys I DJ with kept telling me for the past few weeks he had a present for me. Turns out it was one of the original RTR Nitro Rustlers, in immaculate condition, as in Never really been run before except one tank of fuel. He didn't feel like taking the time to break in the engine so he just shelved it. I finished breaking in the engine last night and that car is super sweet. It needs some upgrades so this thread is my introduction and will also be my build thread. Feel free to make suggestions as I go along. The first set of pictures though are just getting it cleaned up and ready to go.

The Family

The Truck

Doesn't look to bad (this is honestly only my second nitro car, the first didn't go to well)

removed for cleaning

Nitro cleaner, an hour and a quarter turn was all it took, a little extra cleaning and it was shiny, still felt factory tight.

ALMOST BREAK IN TIME!

RC Racer
    Getting Giddy

Play time is four allen screws away

That was a lie, got it ready to get started turned on the radio for the first time and the throttle/brake servo decided to quit life I have no idea why. This truck needs a radio upgrade anyways though.

Time for a replacement

I replaced the servo with one from my XXX-NT since that is getting a new radio and savox servos anyways. I took it to a Costco parking lot and put four tanks of fuel for it, and only fouled one plug. Did I mention the plug I fouled was the original plug in the truck, yes that still worked amazing! The body will stay for now but it is in woeful need of upgrades. The stock rear tires are already trashed despite my lack of sliding around on the pavement. So tonight I will be installing some SCT wheels and axles. The next few weeks should be fun. I am open to all suggestions.

RC Champion
    Welcome to the Love/Hate relationship you are about to embark with your N.Rusty. I have to admit it is my favorite traxxas nitro model. My first suggestion is to upgrade your servos. 2018s are way to weak. I like Overkill. I use a 2075 for the throttle as well as the steering. Also you will want a new RX/TX. The AM radio will cause you certain headache. Seems everything interferes with the AM signal. You may aslo want to invest in to a dew set of Planetary and Sun gears. I see by the above pic that it still has the original that used the screw inside the yoke. While you have the diff open you might as well repack it with some heavier oil/grease. I would start of with 100k. In the long run it will give your tires some longevity.
    A must to replace is the rear shock tower. Its very weak and will probably break on one of your first good roll overs.
    I will stop with those suggestions because I can go on and on. Good luck with your Rusty and welcome back to the hobby. I read your other post as well. I hope you get as many hours of fun from yours as I have all of mine over the years.
    Got my boots on. Its getting deep!

RC Racer
    I have to take it easy on the Rustler for the next month since my CFO just pulled my funding after today's splurge at the hobby store and she hasn't even see the real goodies she just found the receipt. Whoops. I am about to mount new wheels since the old ones start cracking and it only took four tanks of gas to pretty much bald the rear tires.
    If it is not hard, it is not worth doing.

RC Champion
    I override the CFO. I am the CEO. But I know what you mean. I have dropped so much on the electrics I blew my yearly allowance. LOL

RC Racer
    Okay well obviously I am a night owl but here is some work done tonight, nothing too crazy.

Yeah....I don't think these keep like a fine whiskey so lets change it up.

Bald already!

replacements which they were just a little smaller in diameter but what the heck.

not bad.

Something tells me the front won't be as forgiving.

Nope.

That is fine, I wanted to test to see if the aluminum parts from the stampede would work so I took the plastic caster blocks and steering knuckles and decided to find out. everything worked perfectly except the hole to connect to the A-arm just needed the slightest drilling

Like a charm. The steering rods do need to be taken in some adjustment wise otherwise it looks like the front is toeing in at the same degree as the rear. Few twists of the wrench and it is fine.

I hate putting fresh hex hubs over the pins

Totally worth it.

RC Racer
    Just a few more photos and final thoughts. After these modifications two things remain to be done and that is a final adjustment of the front toe in and camber. The rear is also really close to the body so I think I am going to get the thicker hex hubs and mount them all around to slightly widen the stance and reduce some slop. Other then that though I am really surprised that the parts were so plug and play. Means that all I need to do is drill the aluminum pieces or RPM pieces out and I can go green all around which is what I want to do with the aluminum parts anyways. Performance has yet to be tested of course. I imagine I will need to adjust the suspension big time. Probably sag it out a big and move the shocks into a more progressive stance.

This picture makes it seem like it has restricted movement and it barely does but that is only because I have not adjusted the toe in yet. Once the toe in has been taken out things will be great.

RC Champion
    getting rid of the front castor and steering blocks is one of the best things you could have done. Might be a little hard on the .15 though. Gear it down. Or add more power. I am a night owl as well. Working the night shift. Looking good though.
    Last edited by Powerman; 02-01-2014 at 02:00 AM.

RC Champion
    to get a wider stance you may choose to use the Electric Rustler A arms on the rear. Just swap sides. Use the right on the left Etc, Etc. Gets you and extra 3/4".

RC Racer
    I think that sounds like a legit plan right there. Speaking of which I need to go by a dremel because really, I am not sure what I expect to accomplish without one.

I had no idea I could get the parts to fit so nicely with the bare minimum of modification. I was just kinda looking at my spare parts for the Stampede since that is being "REALLY" built up. I am still not entirely sold on the SCT wheels but I think once the stance has been widened I will be sold on it. Right now it looks a little squished. Which reminds me I need to go update that thread. Did a ton of work on it tonight.

RC Champion
    If you swap the front and rear A arms it makes it look a lot better with the SC tires. when buying new tires/wheels I always look for Slash 2wd front wheels, Or 4x4 wheels. They provide the widest stance. My rustler has seen some dramatic changes to become what it is now. And it handles great. Pic just to show,

Rear A arm Mod using Electric rears, Just flipped around.

Electric Front suspension and A arms.

I know it looks like the Nitro Slash. But its not.
    With shell,

Both Shells I have done for it. Since your painting too.

My photobucket accout is open for the public to see. If you click on a pic it should take you to my account and you can see the build as well as all the other rusties I have had over the years. And some other stuff to.

RC Racer
    Hi powerman, when you did the electric a arms in the rear did you use the stock or the RPM? I used the RPM and found I need to sand part of them so they move freely. Did you also do the front arms as well? What size axle hubs (in width not hex size) do you use? Also for the wheels do you have the same wheels all around or do you have front and rear specific wheels?

RC Champion
    I used RPM and had to sand a little off. And for the Axles I used Electric Rustler Axles(steel) (5mm shaft). And I also used the entire Electric front suspension for the added width as well as strength. And I used all Electric Front wheels on all 4 for the additional width.
    Hope this fills in the blanks for ya.

RC Racer
    I already widened the rear and forgot to post pictures, so here is the front.

Pulled off the old A-arms and will be replacing them with electric RPM ones.

Test fitting one of the A-arms looks alright. Unlike the rear I did not need to sand these for clearance.

The arms fit on pretty nicely. Obviously the stock linkage just wont do in this case for me. I don't like to stretch it out to much because I don't want the ends to only be holding on by a few threads.

Took off the top links, not sure what these are appropriately called toe or camber?

Got the Electric aluminum parts and they fit perfectly. They are also the right size for the steering rods as well so I will need to grab another pair.

Almost done with the front.

When I put the wheels back on I decided that I wanted to but some blue nuts on there...so I did.

RC Racer
    Looking good, but as you can see the stock steering rods need to be adjusted for the length gain, I will be replacing these with longer units for added strength.

Adjusted for now. I am not in a rush to replace the steering rods though and will probably wait until they break.

Replacing the rear linkage as well.

Parts Spaghetti

Plenty of mounting positions.

Replaced the glow plug ignitor wire since I comprised the connector on the old one, also re-routed all the wires for a cleaner look.

Alright everything is back on there.

a nicer shot I guess

Adjusted this as well to have the proper camber

Bottom view of the wider stance. I think it makes the Rustler look incredibly aggressive especially with the SCT wheels and tires.

RC Racer
    Just some shots of what it all looks like.

Plenty of clearance for the body now and the wheels for turning.

I think the next thing will be to take care of the body, and possibly maybe a performance pipe.

RC Champion
    Looks great. You are sure to see an improvement in the handling on your next run. If I may, I would like to make a couple additional recommendations. I would replace the stock rear shock tower with RPM. The stock one breaks very easily. Plus an RPM front bumper is a must. And you mention a performance pipe. Take a look at the THS pipes. I am not sure if they make one for the .15 though. If they dont, look for a single chamber TRX Resonator pipe or a Dynamite single chamber. The single chamber pipes mentioned will increase your bottom end torque with the .15. You may need it with the TrencherX SC tires. The THS pipes are Dual chamber but for some reason they provide gobs of torque.
    I have been keeping up with your builds. Your GF really opened up a can of worms for you. Looks like you have the bug pretty bad. Nice job on both.

RC Racer
    I need to just say as an update to this thread that I spent the whole afternoon driving the Rustler and I have never had a car that is that reliable and that much fun to drive. It handles like a beast with the 2.2 inch trencher SCT tires on it. I have a few other things I did recently so I guess I should update with Photos.