RC Racer

My Castle Powered Rally Build (Pic Heavy)

Here is my my 1/18 La Trax Rally build in progress. I will keep updating as it comes along. Any advice, suggestions, or questions are welcome

Unboxing

Hanging with big brother (size comparo)

RC Racer
    New motor and ESC

Close but no cigar a little Dremel action required

Thats better seems to hold tight. Others have used a washer on the bottom screw but I don't think it is going anywhere I've tried with all my force.

RC Racer
    And it is in, some wire management and soldering required before it is complete but that is enough for tonight. Traxxas 2s Lipo battery fits so tight that there is no way it is moving or falling out. I have to fight to get it out. No further restraints required on battery.

RC Racer
    Bearing kit, shocks, wheels, and wiring completion are all that is left and most of that is in the mail. Everything else remains stock and plastic and what needs replacing from the new power will be figured out as I break it. Updates to come
    Last edited by cMc214; 01-30-2014 at 06:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Very nice indeed. I run the mamba micro pro/4000 0808 in a mini 8. Four pole power. Its enough to do a standing back flip. Surprised me! Can't wait to read more about your little beast.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Traxxas connector installed on ESC. With work/school may not be until Saturday that the car is ready for a test drive be it without the bearing kit, shocks and new wheels. I am looking forward to seeing how quick this thing got.

Last edited by cMc214; 01-30-2014 at 07:54 AM.

RC Racer
    Ok I got the car up and running and have a noticeable grind coming from somewhere. Motor spins free, spur / pinion alignment checks good, and no visual damage to diffs. Got a bearing kit ready to go in which I am hoping will help but decided I might as well upgrade the front and rear diffs while I got it apart in hopes that the bearing/diff upgrades will solve my noise. I have seen many options spread out throughout the forum. I would like a little advice on the right set up for the diffs. There are so many options and methods

My plan is to install the bearing throughout. For the front it is to install a new RC18T standard diff and in the rear a RC18T ball diff. OR Maybe just all standard diffs with metal gears and metal front and rear driveshaft assemblies? Am I barking up the right tree??

I had the ball diffs in my Rally, and they lasted about 2 runs with the stock power system. The balls got flat spots on them so quick you would think that they were made of ice. IMO, I would wait to upgrade the diffs until the metal ones from the Teton become available.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    I had the ball diffs in my Rally, and they lasted about 2 runs with the stock power system. The balls got flat spots on them so quick you would think that they were made of ice. IMO, I would wait to upgrade the diffs until the metal ones from the Teton become available.
    Good advice why reinvent the wheel right? Would you mate them to aluminum wheel axles?

RC Racer
    More parts in
    Oil Filled Shocks, bearing, stock blue wheels, spare spurs, and differential rebuild kits. Hoping a diff rebuild with bearings will hold for a while. Temporarily, until the metal Tenton diffs come in that is. Those are on pre-order. Once I get it running properly a video will follow

Last edited by cMc214; 02-10-2014 at 04:55 PM.

RC Champion
    looks like an awesome but tiny build lol will we see a new body

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger9 View Post
    looks like an awesome but tiny build lol will we see a new body
    I don't know I can take anything apart and put it back together but I have a big fat 0 in artistic ability... Last body I tried painting was for a Jato years ago and it looked like a kindergartner did it in art class

RC Champion
    I actually got super good at paintin bodies some how lol. I love my last job on my 2wd slash

RC Racer
    Here is the video of the test drive on the finished product. A little fun indoors then I head out to my only option at the time to open up...my crappy road. The road outside is rough with lots of cracks, rocks, and little chunks of ice floating around. The car took a beaten and my shiny new body and wheels are no longer shiny lol. You see 3 flips from cracks and rocks but there was a worse one off camera. I am happy to say not one single thing broke and over all I am happy with the way it worked out. Looking forward for the snow to go away so I can find a nice tennis court or smooth parking lot to really run it.

http://youtu.be/DmlSCRR49bI

I need to get one of these for the winter time in my house.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Um sir....that little car is a beast. I've only had mine 2 days and already have parts coming in. I'm looking forward to more metal parts for these.