Thread: New to RC

RC poster

New to RC

I just purchased my first RC car after years of wanting one. I got the Traxxas LaTrax Rally in green.

I am looking to upgrade and learn with the car and hopefully buy something bigger once I learn.

I am wondering if you can recommend a Lipo for this car and Charger that can possibly charge 2 lipos at the same time and fairly quickly.

I have been reading the forums and appreciate everyones posts and comments as they have answered a lot of my questions. I'll hopefully be posting drive and build photos soon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

RC Racer
    I looked for a Traxxas one but couldn't find one using their battery finder on the traxxas website. I bought a 2S 2000mah from my LHS. We just tried a few till we found one that fit. You'll need one with a Tamiya adapter plug.

For a Lipo charger, get the Traxxas EzPeak Plus. Very easy to use. And very fast charging times. I get like 40 min runtime on my Rally with the 2s Lipo and the car is an animal with that pack..

RC Enthusiast
    Care, maintenance, and charging precautions is something that you should probably research before jumping into LiPo. It is better to have more batteries than it is to speed charge a few. Especially with LiPo. I have an EV-peak VistaPower EV -650 charger (5 amp) and it works great for all types of batteries. It's good to get a decent charger if you are interested in the hobby, as it allows you to step into other car platforms in the future. Might be expensive at first glance, but you'll save yourself from buying a second one.

RC Racer
    Disagree with Seegee911. I'm new to this and jumped right into lipo. Unless your under 14, just jump in and get a Lipo. Its not a nuclear bomb, its a just a battery lol. Not a big deal. Just read the warnings printed on the battery and you'll be fine. The whole lipo thing is way overblown. Your phone probably has a lipo battery in it..

Gasoline is dangerous too.. But people use it safely all the time. Just read the manual.. You'll be fine.

RC Racer
    Phones have lithium Ion, not a lithium polymer. lipo can get dangerous, there's a reason people buy lipo bags.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jackislost View Post
    Phones have lithium Ion, not a lithium polymer. lipo can get dangerous, there's a reason people buy lipo bags.
    There are some phones using lipo. iPhone apparently uses li-ion, but iPads are all Lipo:

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    Disagree with Seegee911. I'm new to this and jumped right into lipo. Unless your under 14, just jump in and get a Lipo. Its not a nuclear bomb, its a just a battery lol. Not a big deal. Just read the warnings printed on the battery and you'll be fine. The whole lipo thing is way overblown. Your phone probably has a lipo battery in it..

Gasoline is dangerous too.. But people use it safely all the time. Just read the manual.. You'll be fine.
    I'm not saying that LiPo should be avoided, nor am I denying the benefits of it. But I am saying that LiPo batteries do have a higher risk attached to them than NiMH, and you should be informed of those risks before plugging one into a charger. Simply "reading the manual" does not mean that you "understand" the concept or its dangers and limitations.

Using LiPo SAFELY is very possible, but requires that you have an understanding of how the battery should be handled, charged, and disposed of BEFORE you start. There's more to it than plugging it in and sticking it in a car.

If you use lipo properly, it's great. If you use lipo improperly, it could be an insurance claim or hospital visit. At the very least, you could ruin the battery. When dealing with these batteries safety is important. Look up a lipo fire on YouTube to see what can happen if you ignore the details.

RC poster
    Thank you everyone for your help!

I am new to RC but not to Lipos (I come from high end airsoft guns) So I am aware of the dangers for sure.

My one question is the C rating. I am seeing 20C and 25C can anyone educate me on what that means?

Thanks again for the help!
    Last edited by Woodrow72; 01-30-2014 at 11:04 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    C rating is how much current the battery can provide. A higher C rating means more amps when you punch the throttle. If you have a 1200mah battery @ 20C, you can get 24 amps. (1.2*20=24)

RC Qualifier
    This guy fits right in but the clip that holds the battery in doesn't fit over it anymore. That is not a problem because it fits so tight it is not going to come out without considerable effort so the clip is not needed.

Then buy the Tamiya to traxxas adapter and you are all set
    Last edited by cMc214; 01-30-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cMc214 View Post
    This guy fits right in but the clip that holds the battery in doesn't fit over it anymore. That is not a problem because it fits so tight it is not going to come out without considerable effort so the clip is not needed.
    Make sure when you're using a lipo battery that it doesn't rub on the center driveshaft.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Make sure when you're using a lipo battery that it doesn't rub on the center driveshaft.
    The one above clears it by a little over a 1/4 inch and there is no play or movement in the battery

RC Racer
    The Traxxas pack is pretty "square" so it doesn't rub.

Just so no one ends up confused, the Rally connecter is a mini molex(I think fairly standard on air-soft). The r/c world just calls them Tamiya plugs because that's who used them decades ago. I don't think that a standard Tamiya/molex fits the rally battery.