RC Enthusiast

SRT to TRX3/TCP Front bulkhead mod question

Howdy,
    We all know that the 2630 front bulkhead for the tcp/trx3 is hard to find and when we do find it, it is not cheap ($$$$).

Does anyone know (possibly someone who owns both a tcp and an srt) if one could take a section out of the middle of an srt bulkhead to narrow it to the tcp width? I guess it would be a question of the other dimensions and screw hole locations as well. With the bumper, bottom and top plate screws, it seems like it would be strong enough. Trx1 has the two piece bulkhead (I know it mounts to the kickplate portion of the chassis).

Am I on to something? Should I pm someone? There just seems to be a lot of ingenuity (sp?) here in the vintage forum. I can't be the.only one to have this cross their mind.

Thanks,

Mark

RC Enthusiast
    All,

Ok, lame to bump my own post, I know. But I picked up a 2530 bulkhead and some slash front arms by another manufacturer. I will report back as to the results of my "frankenfront" solution to the 2630 and 2621 scarcity situation with the trx3/tcp.

Keep your feet wet and you powder dry,

Mark

Pictures, I know........

I don't have my TCP anymore, so I can't really do any research on this. But one thing that makes me think it won't work is that the TCP and SRT use the same front bumper. So if you were to cut and section an SRT bulkhead, nothing would line up, at least in theory. I have a feeling that it would be the same issue with the holes that mount the upper chassis to the bulkhead also.

Very interested to see what you find out.

RC Enthusiast
    Well....

Looking at the 2630 and the 2530, it appears as though the bumper mount holes will be the only ones that will not line up after the 2530 narrowing procedure (removing approx. 15mm width out of the center). Thinking about a length of treaded rod to bind the two halves horizontally. But if the bumper mount holes are the only offset, one could easily modify the bumper. Now, I say "narrowing procedure" like I know what it is.......I don't. Obviously it needs to be a precision based operation and worse case scenario I remove 1-1.5mm too much and use the threaded rod to dial it in as far as perfection goes. Lots of room to screw it up though. This needs some thought. I don't think a dremel cut-off disc and some 80 grit are gonna do it. I know it will work, but I need access to Santa's workshop. I'll figure it out. I need some extra tinker time and that is in short supply.

Go Team Vintage.

Mark

RC Enthusiast
    All,

So I ended up pulling this off with a dremel and some sandpaper. This is the TCP/TRX3 wide front end option with a narrowed 2530 bulkhead and some RPM Slash 2WD front arms. Disregard the suspension pins as none of them are the right length (need to figure that out). Adds about 1" of track width. Need to modify a bumper to fit the narrower holes that result at the bottom. Note the "seam" in the under pic. Just need some longer turnbuckles and the X-long front big bores. Looks like the bottom shock mounts will mate up to the arms without the aluminum spacers as well.

I did have to drill out the outer arm holes with a 1/8" drill bit. The inboard pins are TRX-1 and leave enough length for a cross brace. With all the screws tying this together, I think it is pretty legit.

Thoughts?

I did this mod for a TCP and it's super easy. I continued to use TCP arms so I had to shave some material on the bulkhead's arm mount. For the bumper, all you need to do it drill new holes in the bulkhead. Sure they won't be in the stock location but you can move the bumper a little closer to the bulkhead and it will still provide clearance for suspension pin/arms and movement of arms.