Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    one question WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?
    haha. US Merchant Marine
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    haha. US Merchant Marine
    Haha

I don't think I knew you were into PCs. LOL

I think mine is that old or older to. I just got into the SSDs. I was waiting for the GB to dollar value to drop. In which I own 2 240gb now. They are totally better than mechanical drives IMO.

Only think I've never got into was raid which I need to.

Sent from Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Haha

I don't think I knew you were into PCs. LOL

I think mine is that old or older to. I just got into the SSDs. I was waiting for the GB to dollar value to drop. In which I own 2 240gb now. They are totally better than mechanical drives IMO.

Only think I've never got into was raid which I need to.

Sent from Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro
    I haven't looked into advancements in computing nor have I read CPU magazine since I built the computer. I do know that the big thing now is doing away with the SATA interface and having the PCI interface reading directly from the disk drive. I wouldn't worry about raid now. I bought a new Macbook Air last summer that has Intel's new Haswell chipset that does just that. The ssd performance is insane on this thing. 800MB/s from just one disk! I would spend the money on a new haswell (i know you are into AMD so whatever their version of that is) motherboard and forget the Raid controller. Mine was $480 btw

RC Racer
    I haven't looked into advancements in computing nor have I read CPU magazine since I built the computer. I do know that the big thing now is doing away with the SATA interface and having the PCI interface reading directly from the disk drive. I wouldn't worry about raid now. I bought a new Macbook Air last summer that has Intel's new Haswell chipset that does just that. The ssd performance is insane on this thing. 800MB/s from just one disk! I would spend the money on a new haswell (i know you are into AMD so whatever their version of that is) motherboard and forget the Raid controller. Mine was $480 btw
    my current system is outdated by 3 years but i wont upgrade till it stops doing what i use it for thats my rules for upgrading pc's. the same cannot be said about my rc's
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Champion
    I have no desire to drop anywhere near that kind of money again on a custom PC. Like you, RC's are a different story!

RC Champion
    I have no desire to drop anywhere near that kind of money again on a custom PC. Like you, RC's are a different story!

I'm sort of the other way around Haven't brought out the 'ol Rusty and P4de in a while, then again, I rarely run them in the winter. Probably going to pick up some parts to get them ready for the spring.
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

This is my build I'm working on. Should have it completed by my B-day.

Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
    NZXT X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card
    NZXT Phantom 630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)

I'm might hold off on the 780Ti for a Titan Black, GTX790 or wait for the 800 series Keplar cards too come out.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 03-01-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    This is my build I'm working on. Should have it completed by my B-day.

Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor
    NZXT X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card
    NZXT Phantom 630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
    EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)

I'm might hold off on the 780Ti for a Titan Black, GTX790 or wait for the 800 series Keplar cards too come out.
    Very nice. I would go with the 780Ti over a Titan, you can overclock it past a stock Titan without spending the Titan cost. Assuming you meant Nvidia's Maxwell 800 series, Keplar was released back in like 2012. Unless I'm wrong. But that is going to be sweet! I'm still waiting for my NZXT H440, preordered it but now the NZXT site says:

H440 Matte Black BATCH 2 has SOLD OUT. Orders placed AFTER 2/27/14 12:00PM PDT will ship in APRIL.

*sigh* I guess my cardboard box case will have to do for a while.... or I could use one Antec Eleven Hundred I have sitting around.

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasbrothers View Post
    Very nice. I would go with the 780Ti over a Titan, you can overclock it past a stock Titan without spending the Titan cost. Assuming you meant Nvidia's Maxwell 800 series, Keplar was released back in like 2012. Unless I'm wrong. But that is going to be sweet! I'm still waiting for my NZXT H440, preordered it but now the NZXT site says:

H440 Matte Black BATCH 2 has SOLD OUT. Orders placed AFTER 2/27/14 12:00PM PDT will ship in APRIL.

*sigh* I guess my cardboard box case will have to do for a while.... or I could use one Antec Eleven Hundred I have sitting around.
    Opps. You're right. I meant the new 800 series Maxwell coming out this year. IDK why I was thinking Kepler lol. Now as for the Titan. They just came out with a new Titan last week. It's the Titan Black Edition. It's basically a 780
    Ti but with a slightly higher core speed and 6 GB of Vram.

RC Racer
    May as well toss my build up too!

- Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard
    - Corsair Vengance 16 gigs Ram
    - Asus GTX 760
    - AMD 8350 @ 4.4Mhz
    - liquid cooled cpu, averages 25C while gaming
    - Black edition 1T Western Digital
    - 120 SSD Samsung

It was the first computer I built in at least 10 years. I was surprised at how smoothly it all came together!

RC Champion
    Assuming you mean 4.4ghz but 25C?? Whats your ambient temperature? lol Is this a custom CPU loop or an all in one?

RC Racer
    haha. US Merchant Marine
    nice thanks for serving our country my brother is in the airforce and my dad is an ex marine my grandpa is ex navy and my great grandpa is ex marines. i plan on becoming a police officer and working my way up to csi

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenparts View Post
    May as well toss my build up too!

- Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard
    - Corsair Vengance 16 gigs Ram
    - Asus GTX 760
    - AMD 8350 @ 4.4Mhz
    - liquid cooled cpu, averages 25C while gaming
    - Black edition 1T Western Digital
    - 120 SSD Samsung

It was the first computer I built in at least 10 years. I was surprised at how smoothly it all came together!
    4.4mhz that would be really good in the 90's just kidding

RC Racer
    wLol, auto correct.... It hit 30c the other day, I run the fan on high 24/7 and the case is open... Ambient temp should be close to 65F

RC Racer
    ok i got all my parts and much to my surprise it works! size comparison this thing is massive! external psu hidden underneath my desk

If you're using a LCD/LED monitor I would use DVI or HDMI cable and not VGA.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0 View Post
    If you're using a LCD/LED monitor I would use DVI or HDMI cable and not VGA.
    ones led and the other lcd im using vga until my dvi cables get here

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    ok i got all my parts and much to my surprise it works!
    Hey... I have that exact same 260 in a spare PC I have.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasbrothers View Post
    Hey... I have that exact same 260 in a spare PC I have.
    yeah this is a nice card especially overclocked, i may not have to buy a gtx 660 because this plays all the games i want to play at high/max settings. even the new need for speed most wanted but let me know if your ever selling yours i may buy it and do an outside the case sli . in conclusion for the $35 i paid it cant be beat

RC Champion
    Could anyone recommend a good combo at an affordable price? Right now I have an Asus u56e. It doesn't like games like need for speed and I would like to have my own computer.

Watch this!!!!...........oops.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Could anyone recommend a good combo at an affordable price? Right now I have an Asus u56e. It doesn't like games like need for speed and I would like to have my own computer.

Watch this!!!!...........oops.
    assuming you have a budget of around 600 bucks i think this would be a nice build for the money.
    cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113287
    ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231455
    psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817553018
    gpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125443
    motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157366
    hdd unless you use your old one): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236339
    case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811322036
    dvd drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204

RC Champion
    hey guys

im looking for a good case now. im still not up on this computer hobby yet. so looking to keep it at 100 bucks max. I want it to be able to fit any mother board under the sun. for future purposes.

im not rilly into the flashy or bright cases.but I will have to see what I can find.

nathan that processor looks to good lol was thinking of budgeting for a 3.5ghz processor .but that 3.8ghz will more then fit the bill thank you for showing
    but this brings up an old question for me ...what is the difference between amd and intel of the same / close specs?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hey guys

im looking for a good case now. im still not up on this computer hobby yet. so looking to keep it at 100 bucks max. I want it to be able to fit any mother board under the sun. for future purposes.

im not rilly into the flashy or bright cases.but I will have to see what I can find.

nathan that processor looks to good lol was thinking of budgeting for a 3.5ghz processor .but that 3.8ghz will more then fit the bill thank you for showing
    but this brings up an old question for me ...what is the difference between amd and intel of the same / close specs?
    i believe that with the amd vs intel the difference is intel has more power per core than amd does, this charts a little outdated but it does give you an idea of the performance differences, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ng,3451-8.html that being said amd should do just fine. now onto cases you arent going to get a case that will fit all board for cheap but these should fit the most common boards, atx,microatx,mini atx, this ones $120 in case your willing to spare the extra 20bucks for how cool it looks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811146067. if you want a nice simple case this one is awesome for the money at $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129187. theres tons more cases to choose from so if you want to look for some others http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=-1&isNodeId=1. hope this helps

RC Champion
    ugly lol....im just not liking the look of most cases I see. call me picky. but looking around at the new egg site and going to a Canada computer store. from what I seen imo was either ugly ,to expensive or both lol.

but I did manage to find a case by cooler master the HAF 992 for around the 100 mark. and I think my local pc shop has one on sale for 80. it looks right. just the side panel are a little bit wide(10" for total width) and only complaints that I have read for customer reviews were cold legs due to air flow when the case is next to their legs under the desk.

thank you guys

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hey guys do you know of any manufacturer that make a 15 in 1 card reader that I can put into the tower?
    I have one with my HP case but if I switch over I will lose that feature...I seen that this case had a indent in the front mesh for a floppy drive sized unit.
    Last edited by reod12x2; 03-17-2014 at 08:06 AM.

RC Racer
    reod12x2 as far as a 15 in 1 card ready i just use one that i pulled out of an old gateway desktop, but id recommend this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820223103 and nice choice of cases i like it, be sure to post build pics!

RC Qualifier
    For a card reader, I use a USB one. Built in is nice but technology changes so fast anymore that it's easier for me to just use USB.

RC Champion
    yup got the case........the 912 haf case for 89.99 instead of the 992...the pc shop priced the 992 as a 140.

so far so good .already have the front cd drive grills painted up dark red. got longer sata cables....and finished frying my 1gb ram card

RC Racer
    well i dont know what happened but i was running an antivirus programe and out of the blue the card fan stops spinning and my monitors go blank. so i restart my computer and the graphics card still does nothing the fans wont even start to spin on it either. i also tried it in my old desktop with the same results what could be causing this? can it be fixed? does it need to be reballed? i really cant afford a new graphics card and going back to my junk geforce 8400gs kills me

RC Racer
    so i put an ad up on craigslist wanting to buy a graphics card for $40 and this guy texted me and said he had a msi gtx 275 twin frozr OC he'd give me for free. people on craigslist are awesome

RC Champion
    I'm transferring everything to a new case so I figured I'd take a groupshot

RC Champion
    Very nice. Digging the dominator GTs....

RC Champion
    My NZXT H440 case FINALLY arrived yesterday! Last night after coming home from work at 10pm I tried to get started on transferring my guts from the Antec Eleven Hundred case (which I loved) to the new H440. The H440 is a nice looking case, the flat black and the glossy red really go well together.

My only gripes with the case so far is the flat black shows fingerprints really easily (no biggie) and the only place to put a reservoir for a water cooler is in the HDD trays. I was hoping to get a cylinder with a LED tube inside to show off the resevoir in the case but I doubt there is going to be a spot for it in view. This isn't a huge deal, just something aesthetically that is annoying.

I will post pics when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-24-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Language abuse.

RC Champion
    hey guys thinking of making the push for a cpu, mobo and ram.

right now its okay with my intel 2.4ghz quad core running on 4gbs ddr2. but im finding some slow spots now.
    im thinking this stuff is going to make for a good setup but would like your opinions. on if I should try something else within price to the other part. since im still new to this

cpu- option 1 amd 3.9ghz 6 core fx6350--www.newegg.ca amd opt 1
    -option 2 amd 3.5ghz 8 core fx8320--www.newegg.ca amd opt 2

mobo- gigabyte GA-990fxa-ud3--www.newegg.ca giga mobo

ram- crucial ballistix 8gb ddr3 1866 with a cas latency 9--www.newegg.ca crucial ram

thank you guys for your opinions and help

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    hey guys thinking of making the push for a cpu, mobo and ram.

right now its okay with my intel 2.4ghz quad core running on 4gbs ddr2. but im finding some slow spots now.
    im thinking this stuff is going to make for a good setup but would like your opinions. on if I should try something else within price to the other part. since im still new to this

cpu- option 1 amd 3.9ghz 6 core fx6350--www.newegg.ca amd opt 1
    -option 2 amd 3.5ghz 8 core fx8320--www.newegg.ca amd opt 2

mobo- gigabyte GA-990fxa-ud3--www.newegg.ca giga mobo

ram- crucial ballistix 8gb ddr3 1866 with a cas latency 9--www.newegg.ca crucial ram

thank you guys for your opinions and help
    Here is my opinion,
    go with option 1, the 6 core with 3.9ghz. Why do you possibly need 8 cores lol. Higher clock speed the better unless you need the cores. The motherboard and ram both look good.

RC Champion
    okay thank you
    I figured for the little price increase the 3.9ghz 6 core would be the better deal.

other then that I decided to got with a different ram the crucial>>low profile ram "sport"

low profile just incase I go for this> terminator cooler since most people say that the cooler interferes with normal ram

thank you guys

RC Racer
    i decided it was time for a new keyboard/mouse so i got the logitech k750 (i love it it charges off my monitors light) for the mouse i got a logitech m510 i love how the unifying receiver works now i have one receiver for both my keyboard and my mouse. ill try to post some pictures of the keyboard and mouse later

RC Racer
    they aren't the best pictures but they get the job done i must say i love this keyboard more than any keyboard i have ever owned

RC Champion
    hey guys I got a question on how to set up a ssd as the main driver.
    is it as easy as transferring the os to the drive and select the drive to boot to in bios?

I just put a order for a crucial m550 ssd --128gb -6gb/s sata 6, max read of 550mbs, 350mbs write.

should kick my old hitachi hdd that does something like 7200rpm 300mbs read

RC Champion
    It's best to do a fresh install of windows if you can. A clean slate.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I agree with Neil. I did a fresh install for Windows 8.1. I had so much software and stuff I didn't feel like re downloading I went ahead and transferred my Windows 7 drive to the new SSD. Samsung made it a fairly easy task. I'm not a fan of this, but I've been running this for several months now with no hiccups (fingers crossed). The OS and all programs have been running as smooth as butter.

Since going to SSD I'll never own another mechanical drive. LOL

BTW if you can partition the drive. Half for the OS and the other for applications or whatever. My 1tb mechanical drives were usually partitioned into 4.
    Last edited by DiggerPede; 05-09-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore