RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Bad news for my vintage fever...

Hey Guys,

Well, basically, our Government (I live in Argentina if you don't already know) decided to ban all international purchases, so, I'll no longer be able to buy vintage parts or anything else... I guess I have almost everything I need to finish my projects but I'm pretty sure some of them will be incomplete... And, none of them will have a body as I can no longer buy the TBG ones, funny I have the decals for almost all of them... What can I said, I'm sad to live in a 3rd world country that doesn't understand the global economy... So, from now on, I'll try to post the unfinished projects and hope some day will able to buy things again...

Regards,

Daniel.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

That's a bummer, I'm sorry to hear that.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks Cooleocool! This is not only for RCs, it's for everything that can be bought outside my country, and not to mention that everything that is still in transit to us will probably be stolen by our Customs office... Actually, we can buy, twice year, but that's a joke! Imagine I buy from like 10 RC sources on eBay to build one truck, plus a lot other sites for other things... Even my other hobby, which is electronic designs with micro-controllers is in danger now... I can't explain how shocking this is for us, we don't produce technology so it's going to be a pain... It was good while it lasted, I managed to get a very nice RC collection but I'm afraid to run them now and don't have spare parts to keep them running... Will have to gear conservatively, keep an eye on the LiPos and drive like a granny, and where's the fun in that??? I guess I'll have to switch hobbies and learn Origami, no risk on that and it's free! Well, while internet is allowed, you know some countries ban websites too...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 01-26-2014 at 09:53 PM.

RC Competitor
    That is whack. Just backwards, really. Hang in there. Vintage rc folks are pretty resourceful, you'll find a workaround.

Mark

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, if someone travels to the US, it can bring the parts to me, the problems is, when you're on a treasure hunt, you can find one part today, another next month, and I need a place in the US to send those parts, until some day, I'll ship those part from that place to a hotel maybe or a work office where a friend or a coworker is staying and he can bring the parts to me, not easy really... I have to find another way, has to be...

RC Champion
    Wow dude, Sorry to hear that, Thats crazy....

Hopefully things might come around and work out to your advantage.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks Dave! I'm waiting for the blue shocks, hope they arrive soon... It's funny that I no longer have to leave feedback on eBay, I can't remember the last time this happened as I used to buy stuff each week... I'm getting eBay withdrawal...

RC Qualifier
    This is sad. I wish I could dig a tunnel to Argentina and drive parts to you! Your threads and cars were great.
    And there he goes with the carbon...

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSlash View Post
    Your threads and cars were great.
    You make it sound like he's never coming back! It sounds to me like he's still going to go forward with his builds; they might just take a little longer to complete.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LOL, the good things about this is that I will finish all of them up to a point with the parts I have now... This gives me a chance to finish what I started like 4 years ago or more... Btw, I might be travelling to Australia soon for work, I have to find out where are the hobby shops there, and I already know my favorite LiPo provider has a warehouse there!

RC Champion
    Wow that really bites Daniel !!

As if building up old RCs wasn't hard enough for you as it was,now its going to be darned near impossible. Notice that I said "darned near" because I'm sure we could figure out some way to get stuff that you need to you, one way or another.

Like maybe if they were sent to you as "gifts"? What are they gonna do, lock you up because you have friends from outside of Argentina?

I'm sure that I'm not the only one here that would gladly help you keep your vintage addiction well fed.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks Marv!

I tried the "gift" option, but they are basically stopping everything that comes from outside our country, so even if you send me something, I'll probably won't get it now... I have things that came into the country around mid December and they are stuck at Customs with no reason, just because they can...

If this trip to AUS comes up soon, I'll probably buy a few set of LiPos at a local warehouse, that's all I care right now, maybe the Latrax Teton too... Wish I had a someone in AUS that I can start shipping things too... If not, the first night at the hotel it's going to be a "buy it now" maraton... Express shipping is going to be a pain!

RC Champion
    Holy shades of cold war Russia! That is just all too insane, like a few RC parts are going to destabilize the whole economy?

Our government is going nuts trying to recruit skilled workers to immigrate to Canada right now, maybe its time to pack up your folks and load up your RC collection and make a dash for the nearest border crossing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I thought about that, but I have too many roots here to leave, at least now... Just bought a house two months ago... Just need to wait, this is not goign to last long...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This is what RC has become in my country now...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    I thought about that, but I have too many roots here to leave, at least now... Just bought a house two months ago... Just need to wait, this is not goign to last long...

Ooops,I thought you were still in the apartment. A house definitely complicates things.

I really hope you are right about it not lasting, I hate the thought of you not being able to finish some of your restoration projects. And I won't get to drool all over my keyboard after checking out your progress photos and videos.

I am officially bummed out my friend.

RC Champion
    This is what RC has become in my country now...

Oh oh,I seem to recall having a couple of those little powerhouses myself...

exits embarrassed...............

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    This is killing me... Not able to buy rare parts I see on eBay... And, all the things I bought in December are still stuck in Customs with no ETA...

RC Champion
    This is killing me... Not able to buy rare parts I see on eBay... And, all the things I bought in December are still stuck in Customs with no ETA...
    That sucks man, I feel for ya bud. There was (is) a few nice parts I seen on the bay lately. Hopefully things will work out in the future there. That blows about your parts sittin in customs. Did you happen to even get those shocks I sent you?
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Oh, I totally forgot about them! No, I guess they are stuck in Customs too... Let me know if by any chance you get them back... I was told that instead of delivering the packages (with registered tracking #), they are stealing them or sending them back without warning...

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Oh man, sorry for your misfortune. Beam up my rc parts Scotty...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thanks! Situation is still the same, packages from December are slowly being classified, and to make it worst, instead of getting the packages from the local post office (10 blocks from work) or from the local customs office (15 minutes from work by car), we have to pick them up 30 miles away from downtown, this of course, is on purpose, not everyone can leave their work to go and get them and spend like 3 hours on doing that, not everyone has a car and the public bus to there is a pain, and if you don't pick it up before 15 days after you get a notice, they "ship them back" that means, it goes to another house... So, I'm no longer driving outside or if I do, it's in "training mode"... The most difficult part, is to keep alive around 50 LiPos and 10 NiMh packs, I don't have enough time to do that, and that's what my hobby has become, keep the batteries in good shape...

Yikes, why do you have so many battery packs? I realize that you have quite the fleet of R/Cs, but you can only drive so many at one time or even drive so many times in one day!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LOL... I have 10 only for the ERBE which don't fit on the EMBE, so, 2 more for the EMBE (all 3S 5000maH)... I have 8 for the QR-1, that's 20... I have like 10 more for the 1/16s (4x3S and 6x2S), that's 30... Another 4 for the Rustler/Bandit/Stampede... Three 2S for the E-Slayer and Summit LT, and a few more between receiver/transmitter LiPos... That's over 40 more or less... And many small LiPos for lights, EZ-Start wand and I'm sure I'm missing something (a few 6S for the big heli and small heli)... I can take a picture this weekend... I don't mix LiPos between models because I like to get the biggest one it can fit for each one... And, of course, all the NiMhs for the older E-Maxx, the nitro trucks, the DTR-1 and transmitters...

So, it takes time, I try to check them each weekend just to be sure each cell is at 3.8v, not all of them of course, like 10 each weekend, and if I have time and I'm at home, I cycle them so they don't stay still for weeks/months... I've done this since I got my first LiPo, I only lost 2 in 5 years... It's a pain? Yes, but it's much worst to lose one and have to pay for a new one...

Ah, gotcha. I hadn't considered all of the different battery types and how quickly they can add up!

RC Champion
    GOOD! Now the rest of us will be able to finish our Vintage builds before you gobble up all the parts!!

I'm just kidding! I feel for you and this, I know, is painful. Have you considered setting up a post office box in the US or a collection site and making a trip to the states at some point to get it all?

Just thought it may help.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    Did you happen to even get those shocks I sent you?
    Hey Dave, got them today after like 5 months, when it usually took less than 5 weeks before, remember? I'm slowly getting all my packages that arrived at my country in January! Managed to retrieve 15 packages so far with different things, there are still another 10 flying around... This is crazy... The other day I bought a Latrax Teton, spent twice it's price to get it locally...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 06-12-2014 at 12:56 AM.