RC Qualifier

Here's a good question...I think.

When a XO-1 is locked, and you unlock it; what was locked in the first place. Was it locked in the transmitter, the receiver, or the ESC. The reason why I asked is cuz, all three of these parts can be used on other stuff...like my Emax for example. Anyway, I sure would like to know what they are locking/unlocking in an XO-1.

RC Competitor
    Another good question to add to this with the 2014 Model are they still locked? With the rise of Samsung/android based phones seems strange to limit the use of the X01 to customers with an Iphone. Also to answer the original posters question the ESC is what is locked. I have used a transmitter and receiver from an X01 in a Rustler with no limitations.

RC Qualifier
    If you are right...and I'm not saying you're not. How did you come to your conclusion. The reason I ask is ...is the XO-1 ESC (which is only a Mamba 1) different than the Mamba 1 I have in my Emax. Reason being, they are both Mamba 1's and with my Emax (with its' Mamba) I have been nicely over 50 + mph. Me knowing that, I have never seen anything in my Emax's Mamba 1's program that had any kind of speed limiter.

So, I wonder if I just bought a Emax's Mamba 1 or 2 (if I ever need one) I shouldn't have to worry about it being locked. I should also handle the XO-1 motor....I'm just thinking out load, but would appreciate any input.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustler22 View Post
    Another good question to add to this with the 2014 Model are they still locked? With the rise of Samsung/android based phones seems strange to limit the use of the X01 to customers with an Iphone. Also to answer the original posters question the ESC is what is locked. I have used a transmitter and receiver from an X01 in a Rustler with no limitations.

I don't understand this either but let's leave it at that so the thread doesn't get locked.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not trying to be a big ol' meanie, or anything. But, I'm not going to live my Traxxas forum life worrying about getting my threads locked. I'm going to try to be helpfull, respectfull, and informative. If that gets my threads locked...then it gets my threads locked. All a person can do is, try their best to be reasonable...that's all they can do. Can you tell that I'm not a big fan of PC? (lol)

RC Competitor
    The settings to lock the esc are through the rec/trans. But they Rec/Trans are not whats locked. For instance if you take a xo1 and part it out the rec/trans have no problem going into another vehicle without an iphone and running 100%. But the esc installed into another vehicle will be locked at 50%.

RC Qualifier
    Mr. Rustler, you and I must of been posting at the same time, cuz when I posted my below reply I seen your replay. With that take a look at, particularly, the last two paragraphs in this reply. Thanks for your input.

I'll tell you guys what got me thinking about, and why I would like to know what component locks the XO-1 to 50mph. It all started when I was unlocking my new XO-1 for the first time. As my transmitter and receiver updated, I noticed it was the same procedure as when I installed telemetry for my Spartan boat's and Emax truck's transmitter/receiver. I agree with Rustler that I didn't see any difference with the transmitter/reciever with any of my three vehicles. Also with all three of my vehicles, I was using a 5th Gen iPod Touch as per Traxxas Customer Support.

When I got everything working, I looked at my Castle ESC to see if I wanted to change its' stock logic switch to a mini SPST switch like I did with my truck. When I did, I notice that my XO-1's ESC is just basically a Castle Mamba 1 ESC (like the one in my Emax truck) with a different variation of a Castle CC Cap pack installed to it in parallel (I installed a normal Castle CC Cap Pack version in my Spartan boat several years ago) contained in housing which makes the assembly appear as a single unit.

With this Castle manufactured XO-1 ESC assembly (which contains the same Mamba 1 ESC that's in my truck [which has been at faster speeds than 50mph without the need for unlocking], and a CC Cap Pack similar to that use in my boat); I didn't see a micro curcuit board that would allow more of a programing capability with this Mamba 1 ESC then any other Mamba 1/2 ESC.

With that said, I still (just thinking out loud, mind you) wonder which of the three components (transmitter, receiver, Mamba 1) lock/unlock the XO-1. And in closing the reason why I wonder is; if you ever need a stock ESC for your XO-1, would you order the whole assembly (Mamba 1, cap pack, and housing which might be locked); or would you just order a normal Mamba 1 ESC (which shouldn't be locked).
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 01-22-2014 at 09:51 AM.