RC poster

Shock Caps & Caster Block upgrades

I have a Slash 2X4 and just broke a caster block and shock cap, is Aluminum really more durable?
    I need to replace the shock cap and was searching Tower Hobbies, and would like to know if there is a cross reference of shock caps that will fit the Traxxas shock, or is there a size (which I saw no reference too) for these shock caps.
    Thanks.
    Curt

RC Qualifier
    I got the strc aluminum c-blocks n they have been great and as for the shock caps I'm not sure I just bought the big bores that come with aluminum shock caps
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Qualifier
    Keep in mind, anytime you make one part more resistant to breakage you transfer the stress to the next component up the line.

Any of the Traxxas blue, red, green caps fit.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    These 2 areas are great places for aluminum. Pretty much the only places that require it on a stock truck.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    These 2 areas are great places for aluminum. Pretty much the only places that require it on a stock truck.
    X2.

I don't see aluminum shock caps as an upgrade, they are a requirement, the stock caps will pop off and/or break. You will likely need to change how you are attaching your shocks when you get aluminum caps. The stock shoulder screws bind with the aluminum as the shock cycles and backs the screws out on one side at the shock tower. Here is the fix:

These guys with 16mm screws-

It will look like this when you are done-

This isn't the only way to solve this problem, some people use a drop of CA glue, some drill the tower all of the way through and secure the shock with a long screw and nut. Just find what works best for you.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply's.
    I read that the shock caps should be the 1st thing replaced, I opted for the plastic caster blocks as they cost 25% less then the aluminum ones and I figured I (hopefully) will not make the same mistake again...
    Thanks for the tip on the aluminum cap mounting,(I like the gun metal color) I think those are the parts on the shock parts tree included with the kit.
    Curt

RC Qualifier
    Well, the gun metal colored ones don't thread on like the others.

I don't care what you read here, they don't. I've got multiple sets and the red/blue ones thread down to the bottom nice and smooth. The gun metal ones you have to force.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    The gunmetal ones are for the big bores, which have a smaller diameter.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    As always, I've got to recommend the Anza casters. They are a permanent fix for bent kingpins. The red/blue/green Traxxas shock caps fit correctly and are cheap, too!