WOW. I have run the truck a total of about 5 times.. the first 4 were with the single stock battery.. and today, I used x2 Traxxas 3S LIPOS connected in parellal, and the power was intoxicating to say the least. It amazes me how this thing will blaze through anything!
So, a few questions for the people with more experience with this model and setup..
1. I did activate the LVC on the stock ESC. (solid green LED). I got about 45min of runtime with the 2800 total mAh's I had in the packs.. and then all of the sudden, the truck just stopped. I assume it was the battery's.. and the LED was flashing slowly red. (manual says this is the cut off mode). I checked each packs's voltage when I got home with a multimeter.. and it was 9.80V (3.26V per cell). I assume the stock ESC has a pre-programmed cut off of 3.2V? But, I can't find documentation that confirms this. I feel like 3.2V is a little on the risky side? 3.5 would be great. Thoughts?
2. I installed the Traxxas heatsink with the included thermal paste to the motor. Seems to work okay.. what are the ideal temps I should see on the motor / heatsink? Whats too much?
3. I am really careful with 3S. I fully understand how this can get into a bad situation.. too fast, lack of control, too much power to break something if there is too much resistance, etc.. so, I generally am 1/2 stick around my local park anyway. What I do like to do, is gradually ramp up the power on straights for a few seconds, and ease off for the turn etc.. I think the entire 45min run I did, I only flipped over twice. Not too bad. However, I really enjoyed blasting through the grass at high speed.. it was amazing to see this truck fly through it. I already know that this is stressing the motor, and ESC.. so is there anything else I can do to help with the heat build up I may see in the near future? Pinion gear change? or is the stock fine? What's the best practice and why?
* more on my driving style with this truck.. is walking around my local park (which has some nice rocks, grass hills, off road, big roots, etc… and some payment trails where I can get some speed. ) So the truck is driven one second very fast.. and then, in a more slower controlled manner over some terrain. Etc.. not like a race car. The biggest burst is when I will clear over across a large field of grass.
4. The stock springs need to go. Running x2 packs now means more weight.. what's the best springs I should get, and do they need to be different in the back vs. the front?
5. Wheels / tires. I like the stock ones.. they work. But, I want something else.. that.. well.. does not look stock. is Proline's offerings the best way to go? Or is there another manufacture out there that offers great tires mounted up ready to go too?
6. Other then the heat sink, I added all red alum. rods (replaced all the red cheap plastic looking ones). The truth is this was just to make the truck look better. I could not stand the cheap look of that red plastic. What are some other good up grades that I can consider? I really love this truck.
PS - I also just bought the 1/10 - 1/8 scale summit.. and am looking forward to that one too! I almost think I got the 1/16 for the speed.. and the larger one may leave alone stock (except to use Li-pos).