Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    Posts
    7

    slash won't move

    Was doing wheelies across my living room and then the truck just stopped going forward an backwards but will still steer right an left...any ideas...speed control junk ? Truck is not even two months old

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Alicante, Spain
    Posts
    516
    no more battery.

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    Posts
    7
    Fully charged

  4. #4
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    Posts
    7
    The lx 5 esc lights up red an blinks when I throttle forward or reverse

  5. #5
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Delta, Pa.
    Posts
    1,858
    Sounds like you blew the brushes out of the motor. Did you break in the motor properly? How old is the motor? does the Motor spin?
    Got my boots on. Its getting deep!

  6. #6
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    Posts
    7
    A month an 4 days. I thought so what's the correct way an it doesn't do anything what part spins ?

  7. #7
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Delta, Pa.
    Posts
    1,858
    Watch this.
    If your motor spins it would indicate that the pinion slipped. If you have nothing. You probably cracked a brush doing the wheelies. Without a proper break in burs can develop on the brush face. I am not sure but I would assume this is the problem.

    Just a small disclosure. Several will say, "I never did that and my motors are fine". So be it. Very happy for ya! An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure! If you want to get the most out of your equipment than do anything you can to make it last as long as possible. Do you have to do this? NO. Does it improve the performance of your brushed motor? Absolutely!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-18-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: merge
    Got my boots on. Its getting deep!

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,220
    The only way a titan will wheelie is slamming it from reverse to forward, this is a huge no no.
    If this was the case you could have broke a number of things, one is mentioned by power man above, its also a recipe for destroying your transmission.
    You may have overheated the motor.
    Wheelies are hard on the slash and it wasn't built to do them in the first place, not many days go buy there isn't a post from someone destroying their truck in the quest for wheelies.
    With a little luck you just fried your motor so a 20 dollar bill should fix it.
    Welcome to the forums and the slash.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  9. #9
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Delta, Pa.
    Posts
    1,858
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    The only way a titan will wheelie is slamming it from reverse to forward, this is a huge no no.
    If this was the case you could have broke a number of things, one is mentioned by power man above, its also a recipe for destroying your transmission.
    You may have overheated the motor.
    Wheelies are hard on the slash and it wasn't built to do them in the first place, not many days go buy there isn't a post from someone destroying their truck in the quest for wheelies.
    With a little luck you just fried your motor so a 20 dollar bill should fix it.
    Welcome to the forums and the slash.
    That is most likely more the case than what I said. Brushed motors or any motor for that fact does not like to switch directions rapidly.
    Got my boots on. Its getting deep!

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NEW HAMPSHIRE
    Posts
    7
    First off thanks guys I appreciate the fast help .i went to my local hobby shop today an motor is fryed 15 bucks she's got a new one now install time !! Thanks again to all for the help great forum

  11. #11
    Traxxas Marshal cooleocool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wherever the road takes me.
    Posts
    36,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    Watch this. . . .

    If your motor spins it would indicate that the pinion slipped. If you have nothing. You probably cracked a brush doing the wheelies. Without a proper break in burs can develop on the brush face. I am not sure but I would assume this is the problem.

    Just a small disclosure. Several will say, "I never did that and my motors are fine". So be it. Very happy for ya! An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure! If you want to get the most out of your equipment than do anything you can to make it last as long as possible. Do you have to do this? NO. Does it improve the performance of your brushed motor? Absolutely!
    It should be noted that Traxxas does not recommend the use of the water break in method. Here's a quote from a Traxxas employee on the subject:

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken
    It does give the motors more power but remember the magnet debris? This is becuase the water break in method causes extremely accelerated wear and reduces motor life by quite a lot (in spite of what you may have heard). It is a racer trick because they really don't care about replacing motors so long as they get more speed and power for their race. Traxxas does not recommend it.
    Instead, Traxxas recommends the following method for breaking in a brushed motor:

    The Titan 12T motor will benefit from a short break in period to ensure optimum performance and longer motor life. For the first battery pack, use the stock installed pinion gear and drive smoothly on a flat, paved surface. Accelerate smoothly (avoiding full throttle starts), with most of the driving being done at higher speeds. This will help insure that the motor provides the best performance and longest life.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

  12. #12
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Delta, Pa.
    Posts
    1,858
    ^^^^ Again. Another recommended way of doing it. But the water gets rid of the carbon debris. Point being, Some form of a break in process. The race trick has always served me well. And I do want to get the maximum performance out of my motor. And besides, How much wear can a couple packs put on a motor. No more than a couple packs put on a motor in the car being ran under load. At least the water keep it cool and removes the dirt while its forming the brush to the commutator. Getting rid of all that carbon sure does allow for better air flow around the stator that would usually be plugged up with dirt otherwise. But then again, Traxxas will be happy to sell you another motor for $15 to $20. They have plenty of them!!!
    Got my boots on. Its getting deep!

  13. #13
    Marshal Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,256
    I think you are missing the point Powerman. The water break in trick is an old racers trick. Racers back in the day when the method came about wanted and needed maximum performance out of the brushed motors because brushless simply was not available. They did not care if a motor last one or two races and needed to be replaced or rebuild if they got a tiny bit more performance out of it. Today racers almost all use brushless motors and brushed motors are typically found in RTR bashers. Here motor life is more important than getting that tiny bit of extra performance that track racers were looking for back then.

    Most complaints about the Titan are it dies too soon not that it lacks performance. Proper break in is key to making them last a reasonable time and they can if done properly. Using the water method is probably not the best way to make a Titan last as long has possible IMO.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Delta, Pa.
    Posts
    1,858
    I totally got the point and know where the roots of this method came from. But you make it sound as if the motor will only last one race. And that is so not the case. And the reason it was developed in the first place was to get the best contact patch from the beginning of the motors intended use and it was done in water to get the carbon out and to keep it cool.
    However. OP got himself a new motor. Hopefully he will follow some sort of break in process and abandon the idea of doing wheelies with a XL-5 Slash. Taking it easy a few packs is surely better than nothing at all.
    I personally prefer the water break in method. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    I also have only owned one Titan. Once it broke I went brushless. I haven't had a brushed anything except for a crawler in years.
    Last edited by Powerman; 01-18-2014 at 08:36 PM.
    Got my boots on. Its getting deep!

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nuclear Power Plant drainage ditch
    Posts
    2,714
    Regardless of break in method, heat is your number one enemy. The advertised speed for these trucks requires larger pinion which causes the motor and esc to run too hot in most cases, which leads to premature engine failure. Keeping your motor temps as cool as possible is the best thing to do for lengthening its life.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,240
    Quote Originally Posted by slashbasher81 View Post
    The lx 5 esc lights up red an blinks when I throttle forward or reverse

    Quote Originally Posted by slashbasher81 View Post
    First off thanks guys I appreciate the fast help .i went to my local hobby shop today an motor is fryed 15 bucks she's got a new one now install time !! Thanks again to all for the help great forum
    Did you get the new motor installed and running yet? Reason I ask is because a bad motor shouldn't cause a blinking red light on the esc. It sounds like "throttle neutral protection". Used to happen to me once in a while when using the stock remote. Usually had to just re-center the throttle trim on the radio. If that didn't work, had to re-calibrate the esc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •