RC Racer

Which voltage to trust? Charger or Voltage checker?

Hi,

So i have the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus 6, and TWO of those voltage checkers.

AOK-BL8S
    AOK-BM6S rev 111128

Anyway the voltage on the voltage checkers, on both of them are exactly the same, regardless of which AOK voltage checker I'm using.

3.80v / 3.80v on my 2S LiPo

However on my EZ Peak Plus 6, the voltage is 3.85v / 3.85v

Which should I be trusting? The AOK's or the Traxxas charger?

This could be a problem, when we're talking testing for an lvc such as 3.0v / 3.0v (or is it really 2.5v / 2.5v) thus damaging the battery?

RC Champion
    Are you charging the batteries with the ezpeak when you get the reading? Voltage while charging, and while at rest, can be different.

RC Racer
    Yes, the only way to get a voltage reading using the EZ Peak+ 6, is to start a charge, and yep I'm checking the voltages with the AOK voltage checkers, when they're unplugged.. So you're saying that's the norm? The traxxas charger is always reading 0.05v higher, cos its charging? I guess i could try a non-balance charge for a few secs, while the AOK is plugged in to see what readings I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Are you charging the batteries with the ezpeak when you get the reading? Voltage while charging, and while at rest, can be different.
    Last edited by thedoc46; 01-16-2014 at 09:22 PM.

RC Champion
    Just saying the conditions aren't the same when testing. Your idea of getting a reading while charging is good. That'll make the test conditions the same. Or, you could set the charge rate on the ezpeak to 0.1a. That's effectively like not charging too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    Hi,

So i have the Traxxas EZ Peak Plus 6, and TWO of those voltage checkers.

AOK-BL8S
    AOK-BM6S rev 111128

Anyway the voltage on the voltage checkers, on both of them are exactly the same, regardless of which AOK voltage checker I'm using.

3.80v / 3.80v on my 2S LiPo

However on my EZ Peak Plus 6, the voltage is 3.85v / 3.85v

Which should I be trusting? The AOK's or the Traxxas charger?

This could be a problem, when we're talking testing for an lvc such as 3.0v / 3.0v (or is it really 2.5v / 2.5v) thus damaging the battery?
    The measurement on your first reading is 0.05V difference, the measurement where you think there could be a problem is 0.5V.

The charger will be more accurate than a $5 lipo checker. As Jws1982 says the readings will be different because of the situation and how the voltage is measured.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Racer
    yes, I realize i made a silly error on the 0.05 vs 0.5.... doh. lol

OK, I can confirm that the charger and voltage checker voltage increases by 0.03 once you start a charge. I did the test this morning, just using the regular charge mode on the EZ Peak +6 (thus freeing up the balance port to use on the voltage checker) Still not exact, but good enough and a satisfactory explanation.

RC Champion
    To check voltage a volt meter is connected in parallel to the circuit across a load. You'll get different readings from different testers as the load would be different, making some more accurate than others. A charger will never be the same as a checker, as the loads different, giving different results. Different brand chargers will give different readings, it's not pin pointed to a charger ~V~ checker.
    Frequency also comes into it, but that's beyond my knowledge.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.