RC Enthusiast

My 11.1v 3S LiPo Dilemma - Help!

Hey guys. I'm looking for some advice. I'm a newbie to Traxxas and just bought an E-Maxx Brushless 3908L. Everything I read before I bought the truck talked about harnessing the power of the MM1 esc and 2200kv motor with an 11.1v 3S LiPo. So my "didn't know any better" self went and bought a pair of massive 11.1v 3S 8000mah 35C LiPo packs...only to realize when they were delivered today that there is now way they will fit in my E-Maxx. These LiPo's were 135x42x45.2mm. So I first went to figure out the max size of battery that can fit in my E-Maxx, and it appears that the max size is about 155x44x28mm. Then I went looking for some awesome 11.1v 3S LiPo's and I can't seem to find ANY that will fit in this truck that are better than 25C's. I had read you guys talking about a lot of you using SPC Racing packs, so I was hoping to get their 11.1v 5600mah 60C soft case (164x44.5x26.5mm) or their 11.1v 6500mah 65C hard case (138x46.5x34.5mm), but there is a dimension problem with both of them. Then I had seen video's of some of these trucks using velcro straps for larger packs, but the chassy on this truck doesn't have any gaps for me to get the velcro strap around the bottom of the battery holder.

Thus, I have a few questions:
    - Am I an idiot? (Don't answer that)
    - Is the max battery size that I calculated at 155x44x28mm accurate? If not, what is the max size?
    - Is there a great 11.1v 3S LiPo pack that will fit into this truck as-is? I am hoping for something better than 25C and at least 5000mah.
    - Is there a safe modification that I can make to the chassy to allow for velcro straps and a larger LiPo pack? I just want to make sure I'm not going to affect the strength and structural integrity of the chassy if I drill a few holes in it.
    - Is there an easy answer that I'm completely overlooking?

Thanks guys. I'm open to any and all recommendations.

RC Qualifier
    okay first off no 3s lipo will fit in the truck as is because its too tall of a bettery, those spc batteries will work great... all i did was cut two thin slots in the battery tray for the velcro straps, don't worry it'll be fine just dremel it out nicely, since you'll be making two slots for each strap feed it though the top of the chassis in the farther slot from the outside (the one closer to the center), then loop it under the truck and back up through the other slot, some people just cut one slot and wrap it under and back around the truck but it doesn't hold the battery as tight.

if you needs pics i can post some
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Competitor
    Think best bang for the buck may be 2 sets of 5000mah batteries. Would be 10,000mah of runtime if you are out in the boonies, and you can swap back and forth for almost no down time if at the track with power.

I would stick to ~25mm thick so they drop right in.
    Buddy runs the spc hardcase 2s 5000s in his maxx. Snug, but nice fit.

I run the Traxxas 3s 5000s in my erbe, wicked fast and rarely over 1/2 throttle at the track. Running like this and taking breaks, takes me about 3hrs to run down to the lvc.

RC Qualifier
    This is a mod I did, so I could use any battery I wanted. The only part I had to buy was the Spartan battery straps. Everything else is a mod to the OEM Traxxas parts.

Traxxas part number 2872 is a direct fit 5000mah 3s pack for the E-Maxx. The 25C rating is not something to concern yourself with. These packs provide more than enough power to make the vehicle perform however you wish. Super-high top speed or massive off-the-line torque, the 2872s will hold up. I have several sets I run in my E-Maxx BL without issue ... other than curbs that jump out in front of me.

Best part, no mods needed. Factory straps will work great with these packs.

RC Qualifier
    You're rite Mr. Tire, but I sure do like running the Traxxas 6400mah 3s packs. I get so much run time that I don't use them unless I first make hotel reservations. (lol)

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, those curbs get me too Mr. Tire! Thanks to all of you.