RC poster

Motor Failure On Second Day - No Alias For Three Weeks!

I am completely disillusioned with my new Alias. I looked forward to a great new quadcopter with the excellent Traxxas product quality and support I have enjoyed with my 1/16 E-Revo VXL and Rustler VXL. My Alias flew great on the first day, but it became very erratic on the second day. I learned how to recalibrate the accelerometer at the Website, but that only helped a little bit and then one of my motors failed completely the afternoon of the second day!

The next day I called Traxxas and they said they would "shoot me out" a new motor right away. That was on Dec. 27 and it is now three weeks later - with no new motor and no use of my Alias since the second day I used it!!!

I have called and emailed Traxxas support repeatedly. They said the erratic flight on the morning of the second day was probably caused by the motor getting ready to fail. They also said their tech was wrong to say he would "shoot me out a new motor" on Dec. 27, since at that time they did not have any new motors available. Last week they said they have now received new motors and they would send me one "as soon as they get through quality control". I have still not received any word that a new motor has been shipped to me and I have had no use of my Alias for three weeks. My Alias' serial number is L02006540.

As even worse news, Traxxas told me in an email there is no warranty on the motors. I guess they are replacing motors at this point because they recognize failure after just a few flights is a serious problem that reflects poor product component selection or a bad batch of motors. In any event, they have signaled me it is possible that at some point they may not even replace motors that fail after just a few flights!

From what I read on the internet I cannot tell if LaTrax/Traxxas simply had a bad batch of motors at the beginning of the Alias' release or if the need to replace motors very frequently will be a permanent, and very expensive, feature of this potentially excellent new quadcopter.

Spending $40 plus shipping every few months to replace the motors on my $150 Alias would be simply unacceptable. I fear I may have wasted my money on this Traxxas product and I am very concerned that the excellent product quality and service I have experienced with their electric cars and trucks may not be continued with the Alias.

RC Qualifier
    Take a look at this thread.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...as-flies-again!

People are discussing an alternative motor option and I think we've almost reached a point where we found a place to buy them. They are much cheaper than the alias motors and more readily available.

RC poster
    Right - I saw the alternative motor thread.

The One Eye Extreme also looks like a good possibility, but it is not out yet and I am definitely not going to buy another $150 "new release" quadcopter until it has been out awhile and people have had a chance to see if it has any bugs. It has brushless motors, which should be a big plus. Also, it can be bound to my DX6i, which is another limitation of the Alias. But if it has a bug in the control board, or some other issue, it could have product support problems just like the Alias.

I can understand new product problems. What really bothers me is that Traxxas is not giving me the high level of product support I expect from them.

Traxxas offers many of their RC cars and trucks in brushed and brushless versions. Maybe they will come out with a second generation Alias that has a revised control board and ESCs that support good quality brushless motors. I'd pay $170 for that, if they also provided good product support like they do with their other RC products.

I see your point and I too have a motor failure. You'll need to contact Traxxas to figure out how to get a motor from them or an alternative source. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes as far as their supplier not being able to provide adequate replacements and hope they could be working something out and ship them to us soon.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    I'm not sure why LaTrax refused to help you, but I had a motor go out also and I contacted the place I bought it from and they sent me a new motor in just a few days.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1052

I used my local hobby shop - Mark Twain Hobby Center in St Charles, MO. They're about 15 miles from my house. I contacted them via email immediately after I had the failure and they responded within minutes. Seriously, like 20 minutes later, at most. I'm very pleased with the way they supported me as a customer.

All I can say is, the next time you might see if you can pick up the toy locally, it really seems to have paid off for me.
    Last edited by dcms; 01-16-2014 at 09:43 PM.

RC poster
    dcms, you had a great LHS experience.

I don't have an LHS that carries Traxxas. I bought mine online from Tower Hobbies and they said "Go to Traxxas".

RC poster
    Absolutely incredible - on January 27 I finally received the replacement motor from Traxxas and they sent me the wrong motor!

I clearly told them the right rear B motor had failed. The tech asked me about the wire color (red and black) and the plug color (red). The motor they sent me has black and white wires and a black plug!!!

Here is the follow-up email I sent to Traxxas after I spoke to their tech on the phone:

To Traxxas Support:

I received an Alias for Christmas which I have registered at your Web site. The Serial No. is L02006540. After six or eight batteries in flying time the right rear B motor went out and you have kindly shipped me a new motor.

I said "shipped" in my email because the tech said they would "shoot me out" a new motor right away - it actually took three weeks!

I had a motor go out last Saturday, found a source for new motors and got them yesterday. Back in the air.
    In the defense of Customer Service: I can't say what the CS tech was looking at (I don't work for Traxxas), but he could have seen what was on hand or on order and expected in. Suppliers provide a purchaser with a date they expect to ship and have them available. Traxxas could have had thousands on order with a close expected ship date, however, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes to cause that delay. I'm pretty sure that Traxxas is trying to get motors in stock, but that stock is also being snatched up by hobby shops and other online dealers that have their purchases back-ordered.
    If you really want to get back up in the air, you'll find a way to do so. Nothing wrong with still waiting for Traxxas to send a replacement, use it for later if necessary.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Double G,

Yes, that's the best spin to put on it - at least I'm all set if an A motor goes out once I get my Alias back in the air.

I hope Traxxas is able to send me a correct B motor quickly.

On another note, my post above should have said the incorrect A motor arrived on January 17, not January 27. Today is only January 18!

RC poster
    I just had the same problem with my motor after only a couple of hours of total flight time. Not only are the motors of poor quality but having the motors act as landing pads was a design flaw from the start. I need to find a way to redirect the shock of the landings elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tomattexas View Post
    I just had the same problem with my motor after only a couple of hours of total flight time. Not only are the motors of poor quality but having the motors act as landing pads was a design flaw from the start. I need to find a way to redirect the shock of the landings elsewhere.
    I believe this is inaccurate. The rubber landing pad is inserted into the LED lens which is attached to the frame. Any shock from landing is going to be passed thru the rubber pad to the LED lens tot he frame of the Alias.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I believe this is inaccurate. The rubber landing pad is inserted into the LED lens which is attached to the frame. Any shock from landing is going to be passed thru the rubber pad to the LED lens tot he frame of the Alias.
    The motors are held in place by the frame so although the rubber shoes and not directly making contact with motors, shocks are transferred to the bottom of the motors through the frame itself. By the way, those rubber shoes/pads aren't as rubbery when you're flying in low temps. I'm thinking of rigging a light weight, springy landing and raise it a little higher that way the props are well clear of the grass as we all have noticed that the Alias motors will disable if props are obstructed. Not sure how yet but with update once i do.
    Last edited by tomattexas; 01-18-2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: adding more text

RC Enthusiast
    Ping Pong balls with a small amount of glue from a Hot Melt Glue Gun gives height and spring with barely adding any weight.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I just do not believe the Alias landing on the rubber pads is what is causing hte motor failures. This was discussed in another thread as well and a Traxxas employee had the same thoughts I have expressed here.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with you D. I just mentioned the ping pong balls for height as I've done that with other quads to keep props out of the grass.

RC Qualifier
    Thankfully my motors haven't failed yet, but just in case I ordered some cheap off brand motors that were the same size, simply because the only place I can find the Traxxas motors is on eBay for absurd prices, so I did what it took to make sure my awesome bird stays in the air

I really like the ping pong ball idea Ssayer!
    Last edited by VGP12; 01-21-2014 at 11:42 AM.

RC poster
    What motors did u get

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by racerjug44 View Post
    What motors did u get
    Yes , very interested as well...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    After shipping those are about the same price as a set of OEM Alias motors
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LaTRAX-6634-...item3a89d655ec
    Pede VXL

RC poster
    they combined shipping, so i save a couple of bucks. I'm trying these cause so far nobody's having good luck with the stock motors. well see what happens, i think i got them today in the mail. well see

RC Qualifier
    I got WLToys v959 motors. There was someone else on the forum who did the same thing but the thread was taken down due to flaming. They are the same size as traxxas motors and people have been having good luck with them. You need to cut the leads off the dead alias motors and the wltoys motors and solder them together. According to forum rules I'm not allowed to say where I got them, but a quick google search will suffice.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by VGP12 View Post
    I got WLToys v959 motors. There was someone else on the forum who did the same thing but the thread was taken down due to flaming. They are the same size as traxxas motors and people have been having good luck with them. You need to cut the leads off the dead alias motors and the wltoys motors and solder them together. According to forum rules I'm not allowed to say where I got them, but a quick google search will suffice.
    I personally am having really good luck so far with the OEM motors but decided to give these a try on a second Alias just to see if they would be a good back up plan just in case. so far, they are doing very well with no loss of performance or agility. the soldering was a bit tedious, and the motors are installed in reverse order from the original OEM motors, but so far, they seem to be doing very well and show promise. I only paid $16.42 for them and that was shipped. they are out there, you just have to google them. I have a few sets of the OEM motors in backup. this is just a test of the 959's to see if they will work, how well, and for how long? if they end up having a decent life span, they will make a good alternative while traxxas resolves the current motor issues that are being experienced.

this was the second flight in exp2 mode. it was horrible weather, freezing temps, and high winds, but ended up being a very good test environment.
    Think YELLOW Traxxas, please make a YELLOW Alias.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome. I also paid around 15 bucks for mine. They are on their way from China but when they come I'll post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by fourwheelcycle View Post
    I am completely disillusioned with my new Alias. I looked forward to a great new quadcopter with the excellent Traxxas product quality and support I have enjoyed with my 1/16 E-Revo VXL and Rustler VXL. My Alias flew great on the first day, but it became very erratic on the second day. I learned how to recalibrate the accelerometer at the Website, but that only helped a little bit and then one of my motors failed completely the afternoon of the second day!

The next day I called Traxxas and they said they would "shoot me out" a new motor right away. That was on Dec. 27 and it is now three weeks later - with no new motor and no use of my Alias since the second day I used it!!!

I have called and emailed Traxxas support repeatedly. They said the erratic flight on the morning of the second day was probably caused by the motor getting ready to fail. They also said their tech was wrong to say he would "shoot me out a new motor" on Dec. 27, since at that time they did not have any new motors available. Last week they said they have now received new motors and they would send me one "as soon as they get through quality control". I have still not received any word that a new motor has been shipped to me and I have had no use of my Alias for three weeks. My Alias' serial number is L02006540.

As even worse news, Traxxas told me in an email there is no warranty on the motors. I guess they are replacing motors at this point because they recognize failure after just a few flights is a serious problem that reflects poor product component selection or a bad batch of motors. In any event, they have signaled me it is possible that at some point they may not even replace motors that fail after just a few flights!

From what I read on the internet I cannot tell if LaTrax/Traxxas simply had a bad batch of motors at the beginning of the Alias' release or if the need to replace motors very frequently will be a permanent, and very expensive, feature of this potentially excellent new quadcopter.

Spending $40 plus shipping every few months to replace the motors on my $150 Alias would be simply unacceptable. I fear I may have wasted my money on this Traxxas product and I am very concerned that the excellent product quality and service I have experienced with their electric cars and trucks may not be continued with the Alias.
    PM me with your name and address and I will make sure you have a motor or motors on the way or send them myself.

RC Racer
    I just ordered an Alias from Towers, so if there's a problem with it, is it with Traxxas and me?

RC poster
    Any probems besides shipping are between you and Traxxas
    Last edited by sfiery; 02-07-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: double post please delete

RC poster
    I just bought one from Amazon. They'll take anything back. LOVE their customer service!

RC Racer
    Fed up Tower, so i just Canceled....... They have to much competition....

RC poster
    Ok this is crazy me too

RC poster
    I have been going through close to the same, except mine, purchased on 2/4/14, first caught a piece of plastic; killed that motor. My second flight lasted for as long as it took to get into the wind; swoosh, all gone. I did find it 150 yards in the direction of the wind.

I purchased a second Alias, meant to be for a friend, has had no flight time. I sent the first one back for repair and sent all eight motors. Replacement motors came two days ago, but it just will not fly. Plenty of power, but it pulls one direction or the other, and would simply flip.

$17.00 to send it for repairs, and now the second one will need to go back too.

Life has not been a lot of fun due to illnesses, and the Alias was purchased to make me feel a little better and take my mind off life, even for just 15 minutes a at a time. Did not happen, and I now regret having made the purchases.

RC Racer
    Before returning the second one, maybe try this:

http://www.latrax.com/pdfs/6608-Alia...eter-Reset.pdf

And I guess since it's never flown you should check that the props are correct pitch for the direction of rotation. Could have a wrong prop on it.
    Last edited by Jeremy1; 04-11-2014 at 03:08 PM.

RC poster
    In January I'd bought a cool little quadcopter at Fry's Electronics in Austin. I dropped by Hobby Town and they said it would be hard to get any parts for it, and that's why it's better to buy from a hobby shop like theirs. So in April I went by Hobby Town and looked at various quads. I'd almost talked myself into a 300 dollar one with a camera but the fellow flew his Alias. I bought it for 150. Got it home and loved it. Had bought it on a Tuesday and flew several times in a field of short grass. Didn't crash it much. Then by Thursday a back motor burned out. Went on line and begin to read the motor trouble stuff. Called Hobby Town. No motors. I asked them if they were aware of the motor trouble. Yes. I asked, then why didn't you mention that to me before I spent 150. Then called Traxxas. No motors. I stated, so since no one has motors, I take it there is a serious motor problem. I'll tell you, this is not acceptable. The Traxxas rep said he send me out 4 as soon as they got them. That was April 30. Still waiting. I should have had him email me promising to do this. I'm not happy, but hopefully the motors will come in.

I'm not sure with whom or what you normally have dealings, but it impolite in the extreme to assume that the rep lied.
    Consider this: though many of us have had motors die (I simply wore two out and another is getting weak because I stalled it for a pretty long time) the incidence of motor failure generally decreases rapidly once the pilot learns what to do and to not do. Also consider this: even though what I just wrote is accurate, it seems Traxxas has tweaked the motors to give longer and more dependable service. The delivery of the revised motors cannot be accomplished in a day or month and almost certainly is having an effect on the availability of parts.
    While you wait in good faith for the motors that were likewise offered in good faith, please take note of the best advice I am aware of to extend motor longevity: Don't stall the motors because this causes amp spikes for which the brushes pay the price. On crashes, shut the power immediately. On takeoff, make sure that there are no obstructions larger than a blade of grass.
    Although the Alias can survive many such events, they take a cumulative toll on the tiny brushes and once they or the commutator develop a infinitesimal flaw, it can grow large very quickly.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    It's simply crappy motors I have yet to crash mine an had a motor failure. It's a toy product, I get that, course mine was with Snap on logos and all. But come on... This many people with the exact same problem, I'm calling foul on they didn't know, or still don't know. A simple google search shows it as the number 1 problem.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 05-13-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Language

RC poster
    I am in sacramento CA and I buy all my stuff from mark twain hobby center.. best prices and quickest delivery...

Quote Originally Posted by MQuinn72 View Post
    It's simply crappy motors I have yet to crash mine an had a motor failure. It's a toy product, I get that, course mine was with Snap on logos and all. But come on... This many people with the exact same problem, I'm calling foul on they didn't know, or still don't know. A simple google search shows it as the number 1 problem.
    Who's saying they don't know or are denying this product having motor issues? Not one mod (all volunteer may I add) has denied motor failures and those of us that have an Alias have admitted to motors failing. I've had a couple fail and yesterday I had some hard crashes and powered down but still had to replace two motors--these two had many hours on them. I have now blown five motors and can say with 100% certainty that three of them were due to powering to get out of trees, away from walls or chairs or see what happens when it is upside-down on the carpet.
    Are you expecting they last forever? I bought some replacements from Micro Motor Warehouse and don't like that I have to solder the leads and install a pinion. Seemed to work just fine for the one pack so far but if you look under performance data:
    performance data:

operating voltage: 1.5-3.7V
    max. thrust: 40g (direct drive, Hubsan X4 propeller)
    2.75A max. load current at 3.7V (Hubsan X4 propeller)
    factory lifetime rating: 5-6 hours
    Does not seem like a long time. Since this is one of the replacements to the Alias out there and some people are saying they are better, what do you have to say about the lifetime rating? So if one gets about 10 minutes of life from a battery and 25 packs (which does not seem long) before a motor goes that is a little over 4 hours. I don't count how many packs I've run through so I cannot say with pinpoint accuracy how long the factory motors have lasted on mine but I do know that I regularly run mine with a few packs at a time and it has two months since the last motor replacement.
    Last edited by Double G; 05-14-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    It's true that the moderators have reported motor failures. What I haven't heard is whether the "no hole" motors are performing differently. Have any of you guys had them long enough to say they have longer life?

BTW the MMW alias motors can be purchased with pinions installed if you can catch them in stock. Benedikt makes them up 100 at a time, but they sell out in just days.