RC Racer

finally bit the bullet

finally bit the bullet and ordered the castle creations sidewinder sct system couldnt beat the price 104 shipped

i ordered the 6878 slipper but im not sure what pinion to go with.
    some guys r doing 13t some r doing 11t i watched a guy on you tube running 16t

what r you guys all running?
    i was thinking of ordered every odd size from 9t thru 17t but do you think that is a wast
    im running 2s lipo, proline trenchers on proline f-11 beadlock sct wheels and its primarly a basher so im not looking for high speed runs..

Thanks guys

RC Competitor
    I just ordered the same thing for mine. It won't arrive until tomorrow, so I don't have any real world info yet.

Castle website official recommendation to maintain their warranty is 11t - 15t with the 54t that comes stock on the slipper. The Stampede VXL ships with 11/54, so I ordered an 11t because it seems like the safest place to start. Castle's Gearing Guide for Warranty

More experienced guys may start off more aggressive, but I'd rather guess too low and take it easy on the motor than guess too high and beat on it.
    Last edited by Geekworking; 01-14-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: fix typo

RC Racer
    thanks man, i talked to traxxas they say start with a 13t but thats with a vxl system i think im going to order 9t thru 17t all odd you can get a set for the same price as 2 or 3 individual pieces
    good deal let me no how it works mine should b here fri or mon

RC poster
    i have that system in my telluride with a 12 tooth pinion and running 2s lipo runs great and lots of torque does cog at super slow speeds but thats to be expected im very happy with it

RC Competitor
    I got my stuff in and hooked it up last night. The thing screams. I'm using an 9.6V 8C 5000mAh NiMh right now, so it should have be running faster that 2S for a short time before the voltage falls off.

The one thing that I did not anticipate is that the Castle ESC does not have any sort of mounting holes or brackets whatsoever. Be prepared to fabricate something to mount the ESC and the switch. I just took a scrap square of plastic drilled some holes and zip tied for now, but I am looking for a more elegant solution.

RC Racer
    sounds good geekworking
    i should get mine today and im going to run 2s
    what pinion u using i ordered 9t,11t,13t,15t,17t

RC Competitor
    I am running 11t right now. I also bought a 13t. According to gearing calculators the 3800k motor running 9.6V + 11t and 7.4V + 13t both come out to the mid-30MPH ballpark. The max gearing that Castle says you can use without voiding the warranty is 15t and computes out to just under 40MPH (4.87" tires, 2S). 17t computes out to 44MPH. I don't know if I would risk voiding the warranty for a theoretical 4MPH.

My plan is to take advantage of the extra voltage and spin faster with the NiMh and then go to 13t once I have a battery that can support the higher current loads.

RC poster
    i cut the flat that held the xl5 in and cut the left side screw mount out and it fits nice and snug in chassis i just put a lil hot glue on the bottom to hold it tight fits really well thay way if u want to try that

RC Racer
    Ok sounds good just got mine in mail I'm pulling car apart now

RC Enthusiast
    I plan on ordering the same brushless setup very soon for my Telluride. I'm already running the stock 12t motor on a 2s LiPo pack.

What pinions do you use for the brushless motors? Are they made by traxxas? Im guessing I can find them on tower hobbies website or even ebay. My local hobby store closed up last year so thats no longer an option.

Thanks for the info.

RC Racer
    i bought 5 traxxas brand sizes on ebay for 13.99 as a set then i bought a few more that werent in the set

RC Enthusiast
    Alrighty, Thanks.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dhar186 View Post
    i cut the flat that held the xl5 in and cut the left side screw mount out and it fits nice and snug in chassis i just put a lil hot glue on the bottom to hold it tight fits really well thay way if u want to try that
    i plan on doing something like that too but im going to use velcro so it can come in and out if needed
    i made a bracket sort of like a clamp that went down over top of the esc out of 1/2 wide 3/16 aluminum but it covered to much of the fan on top so im just going to use Velcro

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by racinmason View Post
    Alrighty, Thanks.
    i ordered 9t,11t,13t,15t,17, and i think 19t
    13t is what traxxas recommends

RC Racer
    Ended up installing system omg Its a night and day difference and I'm still running the stock spur and 16t pinion

RC Enthusiast
    Do you happen to know what pitch the gears are you bought?

Any video of the brushless system installed? Would love to see a brushless telluride, maybe some wheelies....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by racinmason View Post
    Do you happen to know what pitch the gears are you bought?

Any video of the brushless system installed? Would love to see a brushless telluride, maybe some wheelies....
    i ordered the 32 pitch slipper with spur gear and 32 pitch pinions
    but right now im just using the stock setup with a brushless motor
    i have pics of it installed but no video

RC poster
    i can try to get some video up soon will post the youtube address when its on

RC Competitor
    I bought a small piece of circuit board from Radio Shack for $3, cut it to fit, and drilled in screws. I attached the ESC using 3M command strips. These are way stronger than double sided tape. This setup will allow me to just unscrew the ESC if it ever needs to be removed. I used the command strips to attach the power switch to the top of the servo. It is easy to find and reach when feeling around under the body.

RC Racer
    looks good,
    i ended up using a bracket i made to hold the esc down..

RC Competitor
    Looks very nice