RC poster

Unhappy My Alias!!! Love This Thing But....

First I would just like to say hello to everyone I am new to the forum but not to Traxxas at all. What a fantastic company both build wise and support wise.

Got my alias on 12-24-13, I also own the hubsan x4 which was my learning platform got really good with that so decided to buy the Alias. I got about 10 flights on it when I encountered problem # 1 Bad left rear motor sent the whole thing back to traxxas and recieved it back quickly. +1 for traxxas on a speedy repair!
    Got it up and back in the air and put maybe 5 packs through it. When I noticed that my controllers aux2 button had lost its clicking ability. Called traxxas and there sending me another controller no questions asked! Which was great now 2 days and 6 packs later another motor has gone out on me...

Im past the point of crashing and use the hubsan x4 as my basher and just cruise my Alias so im really not rough on it at all. But im hoping this motor thing is just bad luck and not something im going to need to replace every few days, Its not even the replacement parts that bothers me its the downtime when I cant fly this thing. It has become a major new hobby for me and I would fly the thing for hours if the battery permitted. I read alot of people ranting about the motors and seen alot of negative things online about the issue but I also understand that people only comment when things go wrong and usually never just write a comment to express how great things are so with that being said what are other peoples thoughts on this issue and also is there another route I can go, maybe a better motor replacement that can take someone putting a few packs a day through there quadcopter. Or do I just have bad luck how many flights have you guys gotten problem free... What really sucks is these motors are now on backorder. Which leads me to believe that they may be shipping out a bunch of these things and there may be an issue here. Whats everyone elses opnion. The first 2 calls into traxxas were effortless and problem free now this last one seemed more like a shift of blame that it was something I am doing / Not a faulty part but I fly this thing perfectly now! no crashes, no banging up the props and land in my hand over harsh ground landings....

RC Racer
    I hear ya. The Alias is a beast. I lost 2 motors and am waiting for traxxas to send replacements. The customer service has been great. I also was just taking it easy. No crashes. Looking forward to getting it back in the air. Good luck with yours. It shouldn't be long before motors will be available at hobby stores or online(towerhobby). I would not use other motors besides the traxxas ones but thats just me.
    Pede VXL

RC poster
    its bad luck to ive lost 4 motors now but i have over 200 flights.. so you can have hours of trouble free flight time. once you get the bugs out.

RC poster
    4 motors in first 2 weeks

RC Qualifier
    Lost a motor today. No crashes or anything. Last time I flew, everything was fine. Today, the motor suddenly doesn't work. Emailed Traxxas, hopefully I'll get some good news. I love this thing. Just got a mini camera to mount on it. Can't wait to get it up and running and take some video!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    addicted much....

RC Enthusiast
    Motors seem to be the one and only real problem with this quad. I'm 6 motors down in less than 20 flights. Granted traxxas replaced 4 of them with a big wait time in between because of low stock. Don't know why this is happening as I have 2 other brand mini and micro quads that have even smaller motors and not a single motor failure in 3 months of heavy use. And at 40.00 a pop the motors are expensive. I hope traxxas figures this out soon as there is no reason for motors only lasting 4 batteries before fail. They have taken care of me so far but hate the down time. So I just ordered extra motors so I can still fly it at least once in a while. Lol

RC Qualifier
    I emailed them and they said it was normal wear and tear. Kina disappointed, since my motor just failed.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    addicted much....

RC Enthusiast
    Hardly think failure at 4-5 batts is normal...lol but ok..traxxas will fix it in time I'm sure, as this is a very nice quad and very popular for such a short release time. Even with 6 motors failing...I still love this quad. Not too big and not too small. It's still new..give em time and they'll figure it out. I know it sucks to have to wait.. But it happens once in a while with new products.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I've gone thru 8 motors since Xmas. Its the motors. If you read my other posts, I explain why this happens.
    Its a heat issue. take out the landing plugs and check for any stickers on the top of the motor, and take it off also as it blocks the vent holes.

I got my Alias in early January and have flown it a LOT. To date I have lost two of the stock motors and Traxxas is sending me a full set to rectify the situation. In the meantime I ordered 4 of the V959 motors to get me back in the air. I only replaced the first motor that was bad with the V959 motor and noticed it made the Alias wobble a little bit when coming out of a stunt or turn, not bad but noticeable. On the 3rd pack with the V959 I had a hard landing and killed the V959 motor, it pulled the wires out of the motor can. I do believe this was at least partially my fault due to the size of the shrink tube I used on the solder joints that prevented the wires from sitting in the channel and under the lens cover as it should.

So now I have a full set of stock motors on the way and some more of the V959 motors too. My suggestion is if you try the V959 use only them and do not mix and match the motors, I may be being picky but I can see the difference in the two motors and the way it effects the stability of the Alias. IMO the verdict is still out if the V959 motors are any better. I still have two original stock motors doing just fine. Once all the motors I have coming get here my Alias will probably go back to all 4 stock motors to see how it does, if they fail then I will try the complete set of V959 motors.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Just had another motor quit on one of mine tonight. The interesting thing is, I have 2 Aliases which I fly regularly... The motor that failed was on the same Alias that had a failure the last time. My other Alias has not yet had a total motor failure. It has only had a "weak" motor which I replaced to restore performance..

And by the way, at this stage of my flying I don't have any more crashes. The Alias did not crash - not even once prior to this failure. One second it was flying fine, the next second it started losing power and just came down on its own.. Dead motor..

RC Racer
    I actually bought my first Alias mid November... during the initial release? been flying it ever since. the original set lasted 59 flights, then lost just one motor. I got a 60th flight on it, after it sat for a few minutes, but it only lasted a couple minutes before failing again. I would have liked to have seen more longevity, but honestly... I beat it REALLY hard, so I was not surprised when it failed, but I was not disappointed about it either . I have my second set of Traxxas motors in it now and have 23 flights so far, and they seem to be going strong. I still push it... no point in flying it if I cant fly it the way I want to, but my crashes now are very rare, and are just minor ones now.
    my second Alias I built from spare parts to test the V959 motors. weather has had me grounded now for a couple weeks, but looks like I may be back in the air this weekend? the V959's have a little less power than the Traxxas motors, but when used as a set, (not mixed with the Traxxas motors) they are perfectly stable and the loss of power is not noticeable, at least not to me anyway. in all three modes, testing the various options and stunts, they are performing flawlessly. how long they will last is now the question? I have only been able to put 8 flights on them but a friend who did the same thing got 174 flights on his, then sadly... accidentally dove it in to a river, and lost it forever with his Mobius attached to it .
    I still have three additional sets of Traxxas motors, so it will be very interesting to see how each set does, as well as how the V959's do comparatively.
    either way... I am very happy with the Alias and what ever I have to do to keep them flying is what I will do . for the money, it really does offer wide versatility, durability that is unmatched, and performance that is just plain incredible... the thing is a total blast to fly!
    Think YELLOW Traxxas, please make a YELLOW Alias.

RC poster
    Hi guys.

Just to give you a heads up.
    I got an Alias to Australia in November with an extra 8 motors.
    I have gone through all spare motors plus one extra so I now have 3 working motors so no more flying the Alias until Traxxas comes out with some decent motors or the experimental ones work.
    I sent Traxxas an email explaining everything and they basically said, too bad for adopting something before it is released in your own country.
    In Australia at the moment it is summer and I fly in 30 odd degree weather so that might be part of my problem.

All I can say is good luck when you guys over in the USA get some decent weather happening. Feel for you guys ATM with all your foul weather.

Cheers.