Thread: diff oil

RC Racer

diff oil

what diff oil is everyone running
    i see stock is 100k
    i found 500k weight u guess think that is to thick or should i try to find like 300k
    i want it to climb a bit better

RC Champion
    If I ever buy one, I'll probably put 500k, diff lock oil, or diff lock putty in the front diff and at least 500k in the rear. I found with my Revo while crawling that if there is a locker, spool, or heavier compounds in the front diff and you try to crawl over something, both front tires grab and try to climb over things with minimal diff action and can help drag the rear end over things. Having the rear locked up seemed to hurt the steering and didn't help push it up and over things like having some sort of locker or limited slip up front.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Racer
    Ok cool, thanks I was thinking 500k front and rear
    I really wanted like 300k so I can still bash with it

RC Champion
    Right now my Revo has Ofna Diff Lock in the front and 120k in the back, been meaning to put the 500k back there, but haven't yet. I tend to do everything from crawling to racing with friends using that truck and haven't had issues. Not sure how a Telluride would respond to it though.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Enthusiast
    I tried marine grease in the rear, didn't work very well. After that I used JB Weld, now that is awesome! I plan on taking the front down next and adding 500k to it. The difference the locked rear made was incredible, cheaper than a locker but not reversible, if that matters.

Traxxas Employee
    I'm much happier with 500k. I tried 300k, but it wasn't much of an improvement over stock. I wish there was a 750k, but the next thickest oil is 1,000,000 Gravity.

RC Racer
    do you guys think adding thicker oil to the diff with a brushless system on 2s would b a good idea

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by arp15001 View Post
    do you guys think adding thicker oil to the diff with a brushless system on 2s would b a good idea
    If you want to climb, I would definitely not recommend going to brushless. At those low speeds you're going to have a ridiculous amount of cogging. But, getting a low voltage enabled brushed ESC and running 2s? That is a good idea.

RC Racer
    im running a brushless castle creations with 2s but i was wondering if running 500 wt oil would b to thick for the speed

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by arp15001 View Post
    im running a brushless castle creations with 2s but i was wondering if running 500 wt oil would b to thick for the speed
    Not at all.

RC Racer
    ok becasue it bit more traction would b nice but dont want to compromise the speed and handling

RC Enthusiast
    I run 500k at both ends still steetable and runs off road much better.

RC Competitor
    I totally agree on going for the 500k on both diffs.
    I changed it a few days ago to 500k and the difference is really amazing