RC Racer

Handling set up..

Ok, looking for best handling on my fiesta to boss conv. Fiesta chassis with 4370 brushless 380 size drive and boss body. So far, chassis has toys braces, hr sway bars. switched tan rear springs to front and green to back. Put traxxas 50k fluid in shimmed rear dif. I have tamiya 32mm tires/wheels and hpi 32/35 tires wheels, all grip. It still spins out too easily. You cannot hook, or drift, because to unpredictable. I have sticky tires! I run it on my shop floor which is smooth concrete. In NW WA the asphalt drive is never dry enough this time of year.. I have heavier, 60/80k shock oil and black springs on order... What does it take to get this car to hook? Diff oil recommends?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    What are you trying to do? Hook up or drift... it makes a difference!

I was able to hook up really well once I dialed in my foot print... keeping the most tire on the ground as possible through adjusting the pillow balls. I was running stock fluids... but with big bore shocks. 30k/50k/30k... front, center, rear. 50wt in my shocks.

I never drifted... so I cannot help you much there.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla2891 View Post
    Ok, looking for best handling on my fiesta to boss conv. Fiesta chassis with 4370 brushless 380 size drive and boss body. So far, chassis has toys braces, hr sway bars. switched tan rear springs to front and green to back. Put traxxas 50k fluid in shimmed rear dif. I have tamiya 32mm tires/wheels and hpi 32/35 tires wheels, all grip. It still spins out too easily. You cannot hook, or drift, because to unpredictable. I have sticky tires! I run it on my shop floor which is smooth concrete. In NW WA the asphalt drive is never dry enough this time of year.. I have heavier, 60/80k shock oil and black springs on order... What does it take to get this car to hook? Diff oil recommends?
    What surface? Carpet,Cement.... prepared or not?

RC Racer
    I just run on cement or asphalt mainly. Shop floor is cement drive is asphalt. I take it to parking lots and skate parks occasionally. I am running 2s in parallel. I want to hook. And will run 3s if I feel a drift needind to happen. With the 50k in rear diff it now pushes the front. I will put 30k back in.. I have good tire contact. The dirt on shop floor showed me where they weren't touching so I dialed it in. I installed sway bars. I will take it for a spin and see how it does. I have a set of black springs, 80&60wt shock oil on the way.

RC Racer
    I think we need to switch cars bro... lol
    I got 2 sets of tires, one with tape on the outside for the drifts and the other one just taped from the inside...ones I put the non drifting setup the only drifting I can do is power slides and even then 70% I hook back very quickly...the other 30% the tires just come off the rim itself (didn't glue them yet, still waiting for the replacement rim for the one I broke lol).

RC Competitor
    To Drift since try diff oil weight of F/C/R of 50/100/30 i did some drift on a wooden floor(it may work for cement/asphalt) that worked good. make sure you have drift and not grip tires, and have you also tried talking to local drifters as well?

RC Racer
    I am not looking to drift. Right now drift or grip is not consistent. just pulled front bulkhead and it is full of diff fluid. So I am going to clean, and install 70k diff fluid and see if that helps with front end push. Also I noticed I had front/ rear swaybar setup backwards... I guess I was adjusted wrong too... So, 70k diff fluid, blk springs, 80wt shock oil, silver swaybar in front. 50k diff fluid, tan springs, 60wt shock oil, red swaybar, rear. Hopefully it hooks. New, bone stock, I could run this on 3s no problem. Then it started to spin if I looked at the throttle. Even on 2s... So hopefully leaky diffs were the culprit and the other mods intensify..

RC Racer
    Diff fluid recommendations? I could not find 70k so I got 100k traxxas. I am going to put the 100k in front and leave 50k in rear. From my research I have heard good handling from every flavor of fluids. Frustrating! I just want to put it back together and drive!

RC Qualifier
    Good handling depends on what you are doing and on how you drive.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 vxl

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla2891 View Post
    Diff fluid recommendations? I could not find 70k so I got 100k traxxas. I am going to put the 100k in front and leave 50k in rear. From my research I have heard good handling from every flavor of fluids. Frustrating! I just want to put it back together and drive!
    Sorry for the delay between replys. I been thinkering with my rally got a new esc, now i have been learning to redrive my rally with a new servo that makes a big difference over the stock(using a HS85-MG) with 100% steering i can drift somewhat if i can find room.
    Diff oil 50/100/50 adds tension to the whole new level for agressive driving. I posted a video and forum that has lots of information.

Springs get stiffest possible 4.3 black strip if i remeber correctly and slam the ride height low as possible.

Hope your set up has been working for you!

RC Racer
    Right now in front I have blk springs 80k fluid and thickest hr swaybar. Along with 100k diff fluid watered down a bit with 50k. In the back I have tan springs, 60k shock oil and 30k diff oil with thinnest hr sway bar. Grippy 32mm front 35mm rear tires. On good dry asphalt, I can still only give it half throttle before it spins out. That is with a 4370kv motor and 2500mah 2s in parallel.